Questions from a new user who is installing YDL first time

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Questions from a new user who is installing YDL first time

Postby Seraphic » 02 Apr 2010, 17:00

Hi,

I have had a original launch 60GB CECHA for about three years now and never really thought much about installing OtherOS. But this whole 3.21 situation got me really interested in the feature. So much so, that I decided not to upgrade to 3.21 and keep 3.15 along with ordering a 160GB HDD to install into my PS3. The main downside for this is I already have a lot of data on my PS3. I ran the PS3 backup utility, but I am not sure if my PS1/PS2 virtual memory cards are backed up with that (does anyone know?). So now I need to go and back up each save one by one... problem is I have over 200 or so saves. I already burned a disk of 6.2 YDL iso downloaded from a Yellow Dog Linux Mirror, so now just waiting for the 160GB hard-drive to arrive on Monday. Other then that just need to backup PS1/PS2 memory cards manually to a USB Flash drive.

Took a Linux course during college, but didn't do too well as was the class was exclusively done using commands only. But I hope to get better at it after having Linux installed on my PS3. I do have a few questions though.

1. Is YDL 6.2 free when used on PS3? There was no pop-up/page asking me to pay before downloading the 6.2 iso.

2. On this install guide for YDL 6.1 on PS3 there is a part that says:

At the end of the boot process you will see "kboot:". For different HD TVs you can type one of the following commands:

install_ps3_1080p (Full HD)
install_ps3_1080i
install_ps3_720p
install_ps3_480i

...and hit Enter to start the installation process.

Are you able to install using say 720p first, then at a later date, able to switch to 1080p display and/or go back and forth to 720p/1080p freely without having to install again? Also, will this guide work for 6.2 install on PS3?

3. Is it true that you can only allocate a max of 10GB for OtherOS? Is that enough space? Are you able to allocate larger?

4. If you ever want to want to do a clean install of YDL can you just put the YDL DVD in your PS3, let it boot, format the 10GB partition, then reinstall it? Or do you have to format the 10GB partition from the GameOS first?

5. If you have your PS3 set to output HDMI for Audio/Video in GameOS, will the OtherOS match that for you or do you have to set it up yourself to do that?

Thanks
60GB CECHA 3.15 firmware PlayStation 3 with 160GB HDD
Running 10GB OtherOS partition with Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 installed
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Questions from a new user who is installing YDL first time

Postby jbob0124 » 02 Apr 2010, 17:28

Seraphic wrote:
1. Is YDL 6.2 free when used on PS3? There was no pop-up/page asking me to pay before downloading the 6.2 iso.

Yes it is free as long as your not buying a copy directly from YDL. It is free to download and install.

2. On this install guide for YDL 6.1 on PS3 there is a part that says:

At the end of the boot process you will see "kboot:". For different HD TVs you can type one of the following commands:

install_ps3_1080p (Full HD)
install_ps3_1080i
install_ps3_720p
install_ps3_480i

...and hit Enter to start the installation process.

Are you able to install using say 720p first,but at a later date, switch to 1080p display and/or go back and forth to 720p/1080p freely without having to install again? Also, will this guide work for 6.2 install on PS3?

Yes it is possible to change from one to the next. Using the 1080 setting may require a magnifying glass :lol: Its really small and hard to see. I personally would stick with the 720, but once again you can change it after install.

3. Is it true that you can only allocate a max of 10GB for OtherOS? Is that enough space?

Its not entirely true, you can allot 10GB to either the OtherOS and the remainder goes towards the PS3 hard drive, or you can allot 10gb to the PS3 and the remainder will go towards the OtherOS. However you can only use the 10GB option and cannot customize the amount of hard drive space to get partitioned. I haven't ran into any space issues yet with the 10GB, but I also don't have alot of content downloaded other then gaming rom's for the NES and sNES.

4. If you ever want to want to do a clean install of YDL can you just put the DVD in your PS3, the it boot, format the 10GB partition, then reinstall it? Or do you have to format the 10GB partition from the GameOS first?

You can simply insert the YDL DVD and do a clean install over what is already existing by reformatting that specific partition. You do not need to reformat from the GameOS side.

5. If you have your PS3 set to output HDMI for Audio/Video in GameOS, will the OtherOS already match that for you or do you have to set it up yourself to do that?

Im not 100% sure about this one. I don't know that you can modify settings for HDMI on the OtherOS. Im currently using the HDMI on my setup, but I have never messed with any settings other then the resolution settings at start up (i.e. 720 and 1080) Someone else will have to help you out on that one, sorry.
jbob0124
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Seraphic » 02 Apr 2010, 18:02

Thanks for the information, hope someone can reply for for #5 and about if PS1/PS2 virtual memory cards are included in Backup Utility. But for #3, I guess I would have to go with 10GB for OtherOS and rest for PS3. Can you hook up a external HDD v.i USB while running OtherOS YDL and gain access to that storage space? And does OtherOS allow NTFS rather then FAT32?
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 02 Apr 2010, 19:09

Seraphic wrote:Thanks for the information, hope someone can reply for for #5 and about if PS1/PS2 virtual memory cards are included in Backup Utility. But for #3, I guess I would have to go with 10GB for OtherOS and rest for PS3. Can you hook up a external HDD v.i USB while running OtherOS YDL and gain access to that storage space? And does OtherOS allow NTFS rather then FAT32?

If you do the full system backup

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... ility.html

which you get from the XMB using Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility, then your virtual memory cards should be included.

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that doesn't get backed up with this are your trophies. You should be able to re-sync them after the restore, if they're fully sync'd before you start.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Seraphic » 02 Apr 2010, 19:33

...then your virtual memory cards should be included.

I did some searching online about virtual memory cards and some people reported they are backed up while others reported they were not. I can't risk losing them so I'll have to back them up manually anyway, just in case.

Does YDL 6.2 on PS3 have USB HDD support? Meaning you can plug a external HDD v.i USB into PS3 and increase storage size?

Thank you.
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 02 Apr 2010, 20:02

Seraphic wrote:
...then your virtual memory cards should be included.

I did some searching online about virtual memory cards and some people reported they are backed up while others reported they were not. I can't risk losing them so I'll have to back them up manually anyway, just in case.

I think the folks who mention that they aren't backed up are doing cross PS3 backup & restore. Certain memory cards can only be restored on the machine they were created on, if that makes sense.

The reason is that each PS3 has a unique key and some of your PS3's data is tied to that key - i.e. it's not transferrable. This includes MagicGate protected PS1 & PS2 game saves.

So - if you have to send your PS3 in for service, for example, you'll get another "key" back. And - only some of your restore will work. Whereas - if you are restoring to the machine you backed up from, all of it should work - except for trophies, as I noted earlier.

Also - if you're backing up one drive to install another - that first drive serves as a complete backup. You don't lose access to the first drive. You could try the backup and restore to the new drive and see if any game saves are missing. Then, if they are, pop the old drive back in and manually transfer. Just a thought.

Seraphic wrote:Does YDL 6.2 on PS3 have USB HDD support? Meaning you can plug a external HDD v.i USB into PS3 and increase storage size?

Yes. Be aware that your external HDD will need to be formatted FAT 32 or Linux ext3 - not NTFS. By default, Linux only offers read-only access to NTFS. There are ways around this - a forum search should find them.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Seraphic » 02 Apr 2010, 20:16

Also - if you're backing up one drive to install another - that first drive serves as a complete backup. You don't lose access to the first drive. You could try the backup and restore to the new drive and see if any game saves are missing. Then, if they are, pop the old drive back in and manually transfer. Just a thought.

But doesn't the PS3 force a format of any drive inserted into it? Meaning even if you pop-out your 60GB then pop it back in a second later, once turned on, it will force your to format it. Not sure if that is true, but that is what I recall reading.

Also, if you don't mind, could you respond to: If you have your PS3 set to output HDMI for Audio/Video in GameOS, will the OtherOS match that for you or do you have to set it up yourself to do that? What I am asking is can you output video + audio over HDMI using YDL on PS3?

Thank you
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 02 Apr 2010, 23:04

Seraphic wrote:But doesn't the PS3 force a format of any drive inserted into it? Meaning even if you pop-out your 60GB then pop it back in a second later, once turned on, it will force your to format it. Not sure if that is true, but that is what I recall reading.

If you're putting your original, untouched hard drive back in your PS3 then no, it's not going to force a format.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 03 Apr 2010, 02:18

Seraphic wrote:can you output video + audio over HDMI using YDL on PS3?

Sure.

I think it's automatic. I have it set up via HDMI in GameOS - I've never messed with the OtherOS configuration, and it works just fine.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Seraphic » 05 Apr 2010, 13:19

Really appreciate the input and help from everyone. Looking forward to giving this a try later today. Question though, if I use "install_ps3_720p" to install YLD, what is the process to switch to 1080p output then back to 720p if I need to later? I have a 720p HDTV and a 1080p Monitor, so I will need to change display output based on what I am using for viewing.
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby reddragon2987 » 06 Apr 2010, 08:11

It is hard to see at 720p when installed, on the menu you can change font size but it only changes the size of the menu words, not the contents such as the folder names. I am going to clean install it with a 480i to make it more easy to read later on. If any smaller, such as 1080p display, you probably won't know much on what you will be clicking but I haven't tried 1080p yet and I don't dare after seen the 720p size of texts.

Some games like RE5 now have copy right protection...
reddragon2987
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 06 Apr 2010, 12:10

The guide for changing video modes after installing (you don't need to reinstall just to change video modes):

viewtopic.php?t=3524
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Seraphic » 06 Apr 2010, 16:51

billb wrote:The guide for changing video modes after installing (you don't need to reinstall just to change video modes):

viewtopic.php?t=3524

Cool, thanks. My new HDD arrived last night and I installed it and restored my backup. I was quite happy to find everything fully restored to the new hard-drive, even PS1/PS2 virtual memory cards. Next I installed YDL 6.2 and seems to run well and I have an easy enough time reading everything at 720p. So I'm going to look for some guides for emulators and other cool things to do.
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3