E17 themes?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

E17 themes?

Postby DemonDelight » 05 Apr 2010, 02:38

I'm kind of having trouble. I downloaded 2 different versions of an apple theme, but I can't import. Any sites I can go to for themes that work on ppc?
DemonDelight
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: E17 themes?

Postby DemonDelight » 05 Apr 2010, 07:34

Bump

I downloaded a few .edu themes now, and none have worked.. It just fails to import..
DemonDelight
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby aguilarojo » 05 Apr 2010, 21:54

DemonDelight wrote:Bump

I downloaded a few .edu themes now, and none have worked.. It just fails to import..

Themes which work with e17 end in .edj, not .edu.

Regarding themes which work within e17 running YDL, I have found these two themes to be very pleasant:

Last edited by aguilarojo on 06 Apr 2010, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby DemonDelight » 06 Apr 2010, 00:39

Sorry, I was away from my pc at the time, I just took a guess at the extention. I'm looking a bit more into Linux now, and am using gnome (some familiarity from when I used ubuntu). I found a site called gnome-look, and started getting some themes from the metacity section. The problem is these themes don't skin the full thing, just the top window bar and minimize, maximize, and close buttons.
DemonDelight
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby aguilarojo » 06 Apr 2010, 01:09

DemonDelight wrote:Sorry, I was away from my pc at the time, I just took a guess at the extention. I'm looking a bit more into Linux now, and am using gnome (some familiarity from when I used ubuntu). I found a site called gnome-look, and started getting some themes from the metacity section. The problem is these themes don't skin the full thing, just the top window bar and minimize, maximize, and close buttons.

Gnome has it's own install procedure, once the permissions have been set properly, everything should work.

However, installing .edj files into e17 is not the same process. Not all .edj files will work within e17 on YDL, anyway. The two I posted will as I have used both those themes in e17 within YDL.

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby DemonDelight » 06 Apr 2010, 05:48

Ok, I'll have to try them. I'm just wondering why I see fully custom thems on gnome-look, and when I try them I just get the top menu bar skinned?
DemonDelight
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby aguilarojo » 06 Apr 2010, 06:47

DemonDelight wrote:Ok, I'll have to try them. I'm just wondering why I see fully custom thems on gnome-look, and when I try them I just get the top menu bar skinned?

It could mean many things some of which include:

• They weren't properly packaged in the first place. Remember many contributors there, as elsewhere, are beginners just submitting their first effort.

• Maybe you didn't install Gnome completely. What I mean is that there are packages and libraries available for Gnome within YDL repositories which are not installed as part of a standard YDL installation. The standard install is e17. If you want everything you can have installed available for Gnome or e17 you'll have to select those options manually from within the Add/Remove application.

As far as looking for more attractive themes I recommend Deviant Art most definitely. Some contributors are students true, but they are students with definite talent, style with great attention to detail. The links I provided point to Deviant Art, look along the left column of the page and explore the Deviant Art site. You may find all kind to good art and design there.

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby DemonDelight » 06 Apr 2010, 07:09

I'll have to make sure I have everything installed correctly for gnome I guess, I'm sure it's not the themes I downloaded (over 15 top ranked and downloaded themes).I did a last ditch attempt by searching "theme" in the add software program, and got a couple. I'm using a clearlooks blackcoffee2 theme with Mytema:

EDIT: Image
I took the titlebar and put it through gimp and scaled it to 1x40, it did the trick to creating a decent panel theme.
Last edited by DemonDelight on 06 Apr 2010, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
DemonDelight
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby aguilarojo » 06 Apr 2010, 07:30

Desktop shots are usually posted here.

aguilarojo