Changing to 720p lost HDMI audio

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Changing to 720p lost HDMI audio

Postby CoBrA2168 » 07 Apr 2010, 21:17

billb wrote:The guide for changing video modes after installing (you don't need to reinstall just to change video modes):

viewtopic.php?t=3524

I have a question relating to switching video modes - I installed with 1080p and everything works great, just everything is super super small.

So i changed to 720p using the method above - but I lost audio. I get absolutely no audio output from the PS3. I have an A/V Receiver, and it doesn't even detect audio out whatsoever. I'm using HDMI by the way.

I've asked this before, never got a clear answer as to why I lose audio when I switch video modes. If anyone could help that would be great.
CoBrA2168
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Changing to 720p lost HDMI audio

Postby ppietro » 07 Apr 2010, 22:37

CoBrA2168 wrote:I have a question relating to switching video modes - I installed with 1080p and everything works great, just everything is super super small.

So i changed to 720p using the method above - but I lost audio. I get absolutely no audio output from the PS3. I have an A/V Receiver, and it doesn't even detect audio out whatsoever. I'm using HDMI by the way.

I've asked this before, never got a clear answer as to why I lose audio when I switch video modes. If anyone could help that would be great.

I see you asked that deep in the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6992&p=35453#p35453

This is why we suggest starting a new topic for questions, instead of piggybacking on older topics. People tend to not notice newer questions deep in a thread if other questions have been answered. I've gone ahead and split this off as a new topic for you. Hopefully, someone will have an idea for you.

BTW - I have a Sony Bravia, and an Acer HDMI computer monitor, and sound works fine in all resolutions on them, so I have no idea why it's failing for you. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CoBrA2168 » 08 Apr 2010, 00:51

Yeah, I was thinking about starting another topic, but I had already made one before, and it never really got answered.

I'll probably just reinstall with 720p and see if that fixes my loss in audio.

And should I reiterate that changing to anything other than 1080p (what I originally installed on) loses audio. I even tried 480i, still nothing.
CoBrA2168
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2010, 01:27

CoBrA2168 wrote:Yeah, I was thinking about starting another topic, but I had already made one before, and it never really got answered.

And should I reiterate that changing to anything other than 1080p (what I originally installed on) loses audio. I even tried 480i, still nothing.

Maybe it's something about your /etc/yaboot.conf? Could you post your edited and non edited version here?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CoBrA2168 » 08 Apr 2010, 02:14

ppietro wrote:
CoBrA2168 wrote:Yeah, I was thinking about starting another topic, but I had already made one before, and it never really got answered.

Maybe it's something about your /etc/yaboot.conf? Could you post your edited and non edited version here?

Cheers,
Paul

Ouch - might as well close this thread. :/ Just found out my brother updated that PS3 (it's at home, I'm at school now) to official 3.21 - OtherOS is gone :(

So I guess unless we swap hard drives, getting to that partition isn't looking like a possibility anymore anyway. :(

I'll probably just start over on my PS3 here at school (still on 3.15 :)).

I guess close this thread, I'll open it up again if I experience the same issues on my new install.

Thanks for the help though.
CoBrA2168
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2010, 02:36

CoBrA2168 wrote:Ouch - might as well close this thread. :/ Just found out my brother updated that PS3 (it's at home, I'm at school now) to official 3.21 - OtherOS is gone :(

So I guess unless we swap hard drives, getting to that partition isn't looking like a possibility anymore anyway. :(

Actually - swapping hard drives won't help you either. PS3's encrypt their drives to their own internal key - even the Linux partition.

It's my understanding that your partition is just... gone. :(

Unless you patch the firmware back, or Sony decides to re-introduce OtherOS, you won't be able to access it again. Sorry.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CoBrA2168 » 08 Apr 2010, 03:54

ppietro wrote:
CoBrA2168 wrote:Ouch - might as well close this thread. :/ Just found out my brother updated that PS3 (it's at home, I'm at school now) to official 3.21 - OtherOS is gone :(

Actually - swapping hard drives won't help you either. PS3's encrypt their drives to their own internal key - even the Linux partition.

It's my understanding that your partition is just... gone. :(

Unless you patch the firmware back, or Sony decides to re-introduce OtherOS, you won't be able to access it again. Sorry.

Cheers,
Paul

Oh, that's great to hear. Really had nothing important on it, mainly was just to "mess around" with Linux (my very first Linux). Now I'm very familiar with Ubuntu and Solaris machines. I use both for a class at school. Test tomorrow on regular expressions, among other things! Anyways, digression...

I didn't even do much on that partition - the most notable thing was installing VLC media player, which with the right repositories isn't really that hard.
CoBrA2168
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2010, 06:32

CoBrA2168 wrote:Oh, that's great to hear. Really had nothing important on it, mainly was just to "mess around" with Linux (my very first Linux). Now I'm very familiar with Ubuntu and Solaris machines. I use both for a class at school. Test tomorrow on regular expressions, among other things! Anyways, digression...

I didn't even do much on that partition - the most notable thing was installing VLC media player, which with the right repositories isn't really that hard.

Sorry - I should have been clearer. When I said your partition was gone - what I meant was - your ability to access the partition is gone. It's still there - but unaccessible. You'll have to backup your drive, repartition/reformat it, and restore to recover the missing 10 gig.

I wrote a very detailed description of the procedure here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7266&start=45#p37627

Oddly enough - someone on the cbe-oss-dev list claims you can read the Linux sectors from a PC:

http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-o ... 07263.html

What this post means is that the Linux partition is more like a phantom drive.

To explain - for IBM PCs, there is a section of the disc reserved for partition tables. Say, for the sake of this explanation, it's sector 1. (Which it actually is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record)

On a PS3, that sector is not PC style, so a PC can't read it. There is no PC partition table at offset 446. Whatever is there is Sony proprietary - or encrypted - or both.

However - according to this post, if you format for Linux, the last sectors of the hard disc are striped like a drive. So - if you copy those end sectors, using the dd command, to a new disc starting at sector 1 - you have a bootable Linux disc. You apparently don't have to do this from PS3 Linux either - regular Linux can offset and dd to a new drive.

That's extremely facinating to me - I'd always heard the PS3 Linux sectors were encrypted along with the drive. This might explain why the PS3 always had such bad OtherOS partitioning options - if it's this brute force of a method, it might not really be manipulating the PS3's internal partitioning very intelligently.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3