Help With Gnome MPlayer

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Help With Gnome MPlayer

Postby otakusupreme » 17 Apr 2010, 03:39

hey guys i put a post in another thread but i decided to delete it and make a new topic. I am having issues with gnome mplayer. When i go to full screen on things, doesn't matter what file type, it never goes full screen. it will act like it does but the picture is actually the same as in window view. same thing for when i try to just maximize the window. it never goes full screen. the window expands but the picture stays the same. if anyone else is having this issue or has a fix for it i would be happy if someone could tell me how. Also files dont seem to be playing for me on PS3 mplayer either. i select the video and the terminal comes uop but the video never plays. and i have to right click to get out of the terminal. Thanks for the support if you have any.

EDIT: Here is a picture of the problem with gnome mplayer that i am describing.

Screenshot.png
(253.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: Help With Gnome MPlayer

Postby bonedome » 17 Apr 2010, 22:56

Hello
you might need the zoom command I simply use this config file
Code: Select all
[default]
##
## MPlayer config file
##
## This file can be copied to /usr/local/etc/mplayer.conf and/or ~/.mplayer/config .
## If both exist, the ~/.mplayer/config's settings override the
## /usr/local/etc/mplayer.conf ones. And, of course command line overrides all.
## The options are the same as in the command line, but they can be specified
## more flexibly here. See below.
##

vo=sdl # To specify default video driver (see -vo help for
# list)
ao=alsa # To specify default audio driver (see -ao help for
# list)

#fs=yes # Enlarges movie window to your desktop's size.
# Used by drivers: all

#vm=yes # Tries to change to a different videomode
# Used by drivers: dga2, x11, sdl

#bpp=24 # Force changing display depth.
# Valid settings are: 0, 15, 16, 24, 32
# may need 'vm=yes' too.
# Used by drivers: fbdev, dga2, svga, vesa

zoom=yes # Enable software scaling (powerful CPU needed)
# Used by drivers: svga, x11, vesa

double=yes # use double-buffering (recommended for xv with
# SUB/OSD usage)

#monitoraspect=4:3 # standard monitor size, with square pixels
monitoraspect=16:9 # use this for widescreen monitor! non-square pixels

##
## Use GUI mode by default
##

gui=no

[plugin]
autosync=0
mc=0
correct-pts=yes

[gnome-mplayer]
msglevel=all=5
it goes in .mplayer/config in your home folder, although I don't use gnome mplayer much it's just a "skin" for mplayer so it should work ok :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby otakusupreme » 18 Apr 2010, 00:11

so what do i do with that? i just copy and paste into the text editor and save it? what do i name the file? im kind of a noob so a little more detail would help me out a lot thank you.

UPDATE: well i just tried to copy and paste the code and save it as config but when i loaded a video it stops automatically and mymouse doesn't move forcing me to restart the ps3. like i said i dont really know what im doing so trying to figure this out is kinda hard. so please anyone out there who knows what i should do please help out as soon as possible.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby otakusupreme » 18 Apr 2010, 05:55

ok. ok. sorry for the fuss but i looked more extensively online and found that all i had to do was add the -zoom option to the mplayer preference tab. but now i get a new issue. really bad vertical tearing( is that whats its called?) anyway its striped up and down and i already tried the deinterface option but it didnt work. so this is a new prroblem. so here is a pic of what it looks like. anybody else with the issue or someone who knows how to fix it? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (236.05 KiB) Viewed 8255 times
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby bonedome » 18 Apr 2010, 22:10

Hi
sorry about that, I was expecting a little too much linux know how.
that script simply adds zoom as default, if you want to use it open your file manager in your home page and click on view > show hidden files, there will be a file called .mplayer (files starting with a . are hidden) open the file, inside is a document called config, open with gedit (double click) then copy and paste my script into it and save, done :D
Onto the picture problem, are you streaming from the net ? I always had this problem streaming divx
do you have ffmpeg, gstreamer plugins bad and ugly installed ?
you could try playing from the command line with -zoom and -vo=sdl I always thought sdl gave best results, my script has those set by default
Do you get the same problem when viewed with vlc, xine or totem ?
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby otakusupreme » 19 Apr 2010, 00:24

actually its just normal files from my external hdd. no streaming. i do have ffmpeg and gstreamer. i dont know what bad and ugly are so i probably dont have those. and no i dont have the same problem in vlc. it looks fine though the subtitles are ugly cause i dont know good settings for the subtitles. i haven't tried the other option you mentioned so i will try that later. i already fixed the zoom problem so now the only problem is the vertical tearing. thanks for your help in advance.

UPDATE: well the same problems are still here. your method didn't help any. im not sure what i need to do. i dont get the tearing when i choose video with gi. but when the video plays it only plays for split seconds at a time with a few second intervals in between. im not sure what the problem is. i need someone who uses gnome mplayer. or someone who can tell me how to get better subtitles on vlc. my subtitles on vlc are always too big and often times overlap each other if there are more than one person talking at a time. i imagine its the ass support since i dont see anything for that on vlc.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby bonedome » 20 Apr 2010, 20:56

Hello again
gstreamer plugins bad and ugly contain codecs etc that are not purely open source and are not shipped with ydl, I think they're available from billb's bodega repo, try
Code: Select all
yum list *gstreamer*
and install
also could you play the video from the command line then quit (press q) and post the output
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ayanematrix » 21 Apr 2010, 08:29

Well, the alternative that I've found that works quite well would be following this link as it makes better use of the PS3's unique hardware. Also, if the video's you're watching are on the small side (or smaller than 720p anyhow), you can also use it in conjunction with the spescalar tool located in the fifteenth post of the above topic. Keep in mind that you're going to get better performance without X running via the command line, partially due to the video out option for mplayer (-vo ps3) doing a number on the X.

It's not perfect, but it plays just about everything I've thrown at it. 8)
ayanematrix
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby otakusupreme » 22 Apr 2010, 04:30

thank you for the reply... but bing a linux noob im not sure what i should be doing with the spu scaler. could you give me a little guide on how i should compile that.

i know HOW to compile but setting up certain options with it... im just not at that level yet. so any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, i do have bad and ugly plugins installed to so that wasnt the issue boredome.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to Playstation 3