What To Do. :(

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

What To Do. :(

Postby TheOneFallen » 25 Apr 2010, 13:05

I'm iving up on Ubuntu. It's a mess. All the depencies/packages required for everything I want to do aren't there and cannot find then. So, I've decided to go either with YDL for one final time, or try Fedora. I'll let you guys decide what to go with, here's what I need it for basically.

Ability to play old DOS games, I mean simple ones. Such as TES: Daggerfall. (It runs on Ubuntu, so I see no reason why it shouldn't on others)
Ability to run QEMU and Windows 95 on it.
Youtube, definatley.
Web surfing
Customisation, such as a customisable log in screen
If I went with Fedora, I want to be able to create a menu app that can log me back into the Sony XMB.

I've not updated since 3.15 and have no plans to, I'm running CFW when Geo releases it. :P

Anyways, help?

FallenEdit: Top of the list: I NEED A COMMUNITY TO ASK FOR HELP, THANKS. :3 AS WELL AS A WIKI. :)
Hoping To Finish My Linux Project Soon. :D
TheOneFallen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: What To Do. :(

Postby billb » 25 Apr 2010, 16:15

TheOneFallen wrote:Ability to play old DOS games, I mean simple ones. Such as TES: Daggerfall. (It runs on Ubuntu, so I see no reason why it shouldn't on others)

It doesn't "run on Ubuntu" -- on PS3 Linux it would be running on DOSBox or QEMU. With recent versions of both available on YDL or Fedora, I don't see why performance would be much different, if any. You may need to shut off some background services you don't need on YDL, and you'd almost certainly need to on Fedora.

Ability to run QEMU and Windows 95 on it.

Not a problem.

Youtube, definatley.

There are a couple of different ways to do this on YDL, my favorite being the vlc + greasemonkey option as described here.

Web surfing

A build of Firefox 3.6 is available. Also the latest Opera is available.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What To Do. :(

Postby TheOneFallen » 25 Apr 2010, 16:24

Heheh, I knew what I meant when I said it runs on Ubuntu. :P

Thanks billb. I guess I'll switch back to YDL for one final time. You can expect me to be bombarding you with PMs lol.
Hoping To Finish My Linux Project Soon. :D
TheOneFallen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3