Sony PlayStation 3 Preventive Maintenance

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Sony PlayStation 3 Preventive Maintenance

Postby Seraphic » 15 May 2010, 01:05

Anyone have thoughts if using this company's service would be a good idea for $50?
Trying to take better care of my rare 3.15 60GB PS3... but not sure if I should be mailing it out to a company I don't know.

http://www.gophermods.com/index.php?l=p ... tail&p=207
60GB CECHA 3.15 firmware PlayStation 3 with 160GB HDD
Running 10GB OtherOS partition with Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 installed
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Sony PlayStation 3 Preventive Maintenance

Postby billb » 15 May 2010, 01:53

If you're not currently experiencing any issues with your machine I'd leave it alone. I've taken mine apart a couple of times but that was only after I started experiencing some odd graphics glitches in certain games, and clearing out all the dust and re-applying thermal paste did help with that.

I'd mostly be concerned that they might update the firmware on it -- even with a 100% money back guarantee you'd still be out of a Linux-capable PS3 in that case.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Seraphic » 15 May 2010, 02:17

Well, its kind of odd that I haven't turned on my PS3 for weeks but when I did the other night it locked up on boot up which it has never done before (I think it it was just a random thing though). Other then that, it has locked up about six times I would say while playing WarHawk (online) over its few year life. It also gets warm I guess after awhile and fan kicks up to level two after 20-30 minutes. I've seen images of the crappy thermal paste Sony uses on the Sony Forums and that it dries up after awhile. So I would like to get get some Arctic 5 thermal paste in there and clean out the dust. However, I've never opened up a PS3 before but have built several computers myself so guess it couldn't be too hard. Or I could send it to the company and let them do it (as for the firmware, I already asked, they don't update).
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 15 May 2010, 03:19

To add to this thread, I would recommend keeping the vents clean, to make sure cool air can reach the heatsinks in the system.

Although you're supposed to use a small vacuum to keep the insides clean, I do use compressed air to blow dust out of the PS3.

The plastic material of the PS3 phat seems to be a natural dust magnet - you'd be surprised how much dust accumulates in these machines. Keeping it clean is the easiest way to extend the life of your PS3.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. I know there's differing schools of thought about this, but I keep mine vertical. For my unit, it seems to help with airflow.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Seraphic » 15 May 2010, 03:47

I'm not sure if this matters in this cases, but I have a original fat PS2 that is at least eight years old and it still runs like new. However, I'm not sure if PS2 systems were built better and last longer then PS3s or if my PS3 will be this lucky. And you are right, PS3 fats pick up dust like crazy, I wipe it down whenever I can along with the vents, but you can't really can't get into the vents unless you use vacuum. I keep my PS3 horizontal on top of my Xbox 360 since the 360 is not flat it gives some room under the PS3 base for air.
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 15 May 2010, 22:19

Seraphic wrote:However, I've never opened up a PS3 before but have built several computers myself so guess it couldn't be too hard. Or I could send it to the company and let them do it (as for the firmware, I already asked, they don't update).

It's not particularly difficult -- it helps to follow a guide the first time, and also make a map of which screws went where as you're removing them. It's not nearly as bad as disassembling most laptops. Not one of those things where you take it apart and screws and springs are flying all over the place! :lol:

Here's a good guide with pics of the process:

http://www.llamma.com/PS3/repair/PS3_di ... torial.htm

If that looks like something you don't want to get into and the gophermods place has assured you they don't update firmware, I'd just go with them.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3