CodecSys H.264 / H264onCELL

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

CodecSys H.264 / H264onCELL

Postby xnonsuchx » 21 May 2010, 08:21

Fixstars CodecSys Personal PS3 Linux Source Code page: http://codecsys.fixstars.com/en/support ... ource.html

H264onCELL Sourceforge project download page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cell-h264/

Does anyone know if anyone's looked into these to be used in PS3 Linux? The Fixstars CodecSys one (now defunct since FW 3.21 came out, which might be why they're allowing getting the source code) apparently normally runs via a PS3 Linux mini-install w/ a separate Windows control front-end via Ethernet. Without the front-end, the source may allow fairly easily making a way to make an executable that runs solely within YDL or other PS3 Linux. I haven't looked at that source code.

I downloaded the source for H264onCELL and tried to see if it would compile as-is, but it ends up giving errors that some IBM library files are missing...and it looks like IBM's links to Cell dev libraries are either outdated, no longer public or some other issue.

It would be VERY cool if we PS3 Linux users could use it for super-fast (REALTIME, even..for the CodecSys one) H.264 video encoding.
xnonsuchx
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: CodecSys H.264 / H264onCELL

Postby bonedome » 24 May 2010, 15:46

Hello
a few members of this forum got the free 14 day trial when it came out but I don't know what came of it and they stopped selling it the day sony pulled the plug http://codecsys.fixstars.com/en/personal/
I used to use ydl to convert loads of vids to h264 using x264 which will then play on ps3 and psp, but it takes a huge amount of time, I'm currently converting an avi vid about an hour and a half long on my fedora 12 box it's still converting 5 and a half hours later :shock: that system utilising the cell looked (if you believe the figures) lightning fast, so sony's decision nailed that coffin shut, which is a real shame, the CellBE seems utterly unbeatable for this type of number crunching and the development of any cell based software (by individuals) has all but ground to a halt.
I think it's now down to the USAF to develop anything further
Again I'd like to thank sony for their foresight and customer care :lol:
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby otakusupreme » 29 May 2010, 05:18

id like to bump this up. i would like to see if anyone can get this working and maybe tell us how they did it. i have no experience messing with source code so i dont want to mess something up. please check it out though someone.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby xnonsuchx » 01 Jun 2010, 05:01

otakusupreme wrote:id like to bump this up. i would like to see if anyone can get this working and maybe tell us how they did it. i have no experience messing with source code so i dont want to mess something up. please check it out though someone.

I've been able to compile the latest version of Hatari for PS3 Linux, using the dev's source code (and Makefile) as-is, but looking at both of these projects gets me a little lost.
xnonsuchx
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3