wicd - crash upon opening.

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

wicd - crash upon opening.

Postby Bloodstar » 24 May 2010, 09:22

I seriously hope I'm not missing a topic on this. I feel dumb enough as it is on this issue. ;[

I'm absolutely clueless as to what is going wrong. Running the utility in the past worked fine when I didn't have a connection to use (it would pick up neighbors' connections, however.). Ever since actually getting DSL and, y'know, a wireless point I can use my PS3 on... wicd has just opened and closed immediately, thus leaving me unable to do anything online.

I'm using the GNOME window manager, and YDL 6.1 on a 480i screen. Has anyone else run into (and fixed) this issue? :/
Bloodstar
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: wicd - crash upon opening.

Postby ppietro » 24 May 2010, 11:20

Bloodstar wrote: Has anyone else run into (and fixed) this issue? :/

Possibly yes.

You're not printing out the error messages you're receiving, so I can't quite say what's happening for sure, but there is a known issue with wicd that you're probably running into.

See here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/advisories.shtml

and look for the section marked:
If Wicd Network Manager dies after reboot ...

Try that first. If that doesn't fix it, we'll have to do some troubleshooting from there.

NOTE: That tech note assumes you have sudo configured - which Yellow Dog doesn't actually include by default. So - for the instruction:

sudo bash - [ENTER]

use this command instead:

su -l [ENTER]

That's (s)(u)( )(-)(lower case L)(Enter key)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bloodstar » 24 May 2010, 21:44

That was exactly the issue - wicd launches now. Thanks for linking me to that. I wasn't even getting an error code (maybe because I'm not using the default window manager?) however.

I've hit another snag now, though: While I can detect connections (wireless communications are working), I can't seem to actually connect to my wireless point, despite having the proper WEP key in and the machine getting 100% on the signal. I've switched to Enlightenment temporarily to get a better view of the window, and it doesn't get beyond obtaining the IP address. It reports the channel as "None" which I'm believing is the issue. It can pick up a neighbor's Channel 11 connection and report it accurately, however. Is there a way to force it to connect via a different channel?

side note: I can get the internet connection working fine in the GameOS, but I'm... not very keen on using that after a certain recent event. ;[ The browser's not that great anyway, if I remember correctly.
Bloodstar
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 May 2010, 22:37

Sorry - I should have noticed that you're running 6.1. There is an additional bug in wicd that's probably affecting you. There was never an official fix for this until 6.2, but we have a community patch that should help you:

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bloodstar » 24 May 2010, 23:25

Many thanks! I've got my PS3 connected now, and it seems to be working quite well.

I should probably upgrade to 6.2, but I've long since forgotten the settings I had to tweak for my TV.

It works great for everything I've been needing it for in the meantime, though.
Bloodstar
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3