JAVA error help

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

JAVA error help

Postby mchristopher26 » 30 May 2010, 21:32

i am trying to design a house and the best software that i have found thats 3d is "sweet home 3d" . this program lets me either download and compile it which i can do or as long as java is installed i can run it using the browser with java i have java installed but i get an error and someone please help?

when i enter "which java" i get

/usr/local/bin/java

when i enter "java -version"

java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pxp3260sr3-20081106_07(SR3))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, J2RE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux ppc-32 jvmxp3260-20081105_25433 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
J9VM - 20081105_025433_bHdSMr
JIT - r9_20081031_1330
GC - 20081027_AB)
JCL - 20081106_01

when i go to the website http://www.sweethome3d.com to try to use the program from my firefox browser i get the following error

Can't start applet:
Exceptionjava lang.Unsatisfiedlinkerror j3dcore-ogl (Not found in java library.path)

why am i getting this error if java is installed? i need java 5 or 6 and i have 6 installed. do i need to creat a symbolic link? can some one please help and give me step by step on how to get it working and can you help me on how to download and install/compile it?

thanks
mchristopher26
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: JAVA error help

Postby billb » 31 May 2010, 01:59

It looks like it requires hardware accelerated 3D / OpenGL which isn't available on PS3 Linux.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 31 May 2010, 17:54

billb wrote:It looks like it requires hardware accelerated 3D / OpenGL which isn't available on PS3 Linux.

I concur, billb. It's trying to load j3dcore-ogl, which sure sounds like a 3D/OpenGL library to me. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mchristopher26 » 01 Jun 2010, 21:16

so is there any alternative i might be able to use since opengl is not available? or maybe some 3d libraries that i can download to it would be able to work? in other words are there any other options available so that i could get it to work?

and another question i have what exact is QEMU ? is it like WINE ? would i be able to run windows programs on it or is it just to install another OS on top of the OS that i have?

thanks
mchristopher26
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Jun 2010, 21:31

mchristopher26 wrote:so is there any alternative i might be able to use since opengl is not available? or maybe some 3d libraries that i can download to it would be able to work? in other words are there any other options available so that i could get it to work?

On the PS3? That's a tough one.

The main issue is that the graphics "card" in the PS3 - the nVidia RSX - is locked out by the hypervisor to Linux. So - instead of looking like a regular 3D graphics card in a PC, the PS3's video is a CPU-driven framebuffer display. This means that the CPU has to draw every pixel - no 2D or 3D acceleration is available.

The only OpenGL that we can use is Mesa - which is primarily a software renderer. It is extremely slow - but it might work for what you're trying to do. There was a project to use the Cell processor's 6 sub processors (SPEs) to accelerate Mesa - but work on this project has apparently halted.

I think Mesa-OpenGL is loaded by default on YDL. Otherwise, you should be able to load it via Add/Remove Software. However - your Java application looks like it won't use it. It appears to be calling a hardware OpenGL - i.e. 3D acceleration - only.

mchristopher26 wrote:and another question i have what exact is QEMU ? is it like WINE ? would i be able to run windows programs on it or is it just to install another OS on top of the OS that i have?

So - the PS3 uses the Cell processor which has a PowerPC (ppc) processor main core (which we call the PPE). Windows (and Wine) requires an Intel (x86) processor. QEMU is an emulator which simulates an IBM PC on your PS3. This is very slow, since it has to translate Intel processor instructions to PowerPC processor instructions.

You would use QEMU to virtual boot a PC running a version of Windows which you could then use to run your Windows programs. However - since the PS3 doesn't have accelerated video, this doesn't buy you anything - QEMU would still be unable to run any 2D or 3D accelerated programs.

Wine would run on a Linux environment booted under QEMU - again through cross-processor emulation (PowerPC to x86). There is a way to slipstream Wine via QEMU on the PS3 without invoking a complete PC boot - we call this binfmt support - but - again - lack of accelerated video would still be an issue. And - it's still slow since it's PowerPC to x86 translation via QEMU.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 02 Jun 2010, 05:46

By the way - I took a peek at the FAQ:

http://www.sweethome3d.com/faq.jsp

And - you should try this:

Finally if running Sweet Home 3D with DirectX still fails, click on this other link to run Sweet Home 3D with an older version of the Java 3D library. If it works, 3D performances and rendering won't be as good as with default Sweet Home 3D version.
If this last solution doesn't work, sorry but Sweet Home 3D won't be able to run on your computer at this time.

You'll have to navigate to the FAQ page to find the actual link. It's javascript so I can't cut and paste it here.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 02 Jun 2010, 05:55

ppietro wrote:And - you should try this:

Finally if running Sweet Home 3D with DirectX still fails, click on this other link to run Sweet Home 3D with an older version of the Java 3D library. If it works, 3D performances and rendering won't be as good as with default Sweet Home 3D version.
If this last solution doesn't work, sorry but Sweet Home 3D won't be able to run on your computer at this time.

Don't bother.

I took a peek at the referenced jnlp Java loader they have posted at that link. Unfortunately, their only Linux target is x86 - which won't help you any. I don't know if that's a requirement of their libraries, or just an oversight in their installer.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3