Opera And YDL

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Opera And YDL

Postby TheOneFallen » 14 Jun 2010, 00:56

I've read you can get Opera working on here, but I was wondering if it still works with Youtube (I've read the "Youtube" thread, anyone who's read it should know what I'm on about) and Java?
Hoping To Finish My Linux Project Soon. :D
TheOneFallen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Opera And YDL

Postby Iguana » 14 Jun 2010, 01:48

TheOneFallen wrote:I've read you can get Opera working on here, but I was wondering if it still works with Youtube (I've read the "Youtube" thread, anyone who's read it should know what I'm on about) and Java?

You are wrong about Opera it works, because there is a ppc version of it on the Opera site and I've tried it:http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?custom=yes and see this post also: http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=2944
and here's instructions for getting Java and getting it to work: http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=2935
I don't know about youtube, maybe some one else can answer that question...
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 14 Jun 2010, 04:31

We have a YouTube sticky!

YouTube, Flash and the PS3

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alastor » 14 Jun 2010, 18:31

ppietro wrote:We have a YouTube sticky!YouTube, Flash and the PS3

And don't forget to try: Firefox + Greasemonkey + ( google scripts that substitute flash with mplayer ) + mplayer + mplayerplugin = Smooth playback of flash videos ( You will get far better perfomance than gnash/flash/sfdec/etc. Not to mention there are spu-scaler, single-buffer spu-medialib, double-buffer spu-medialib, SDL1.2 sdl:driver=ps3 and x86-video-spu drivers to speed up video playback. )
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 14 Jun 2010, 19:36

alastor wrote:
ppietro wrote:We have a YouTube sticky!YouTube, Flash and the PS3

And don't forget to try: Firefox + Greasemonkey + ( google scripts that substitute flash with mplayer ) + mplayer + mplayerplugin = Smooth playback of flash videos ( You will get far better perfomance than gnash/flash/sfdec/etc. Not to mention there are spu-scaler, single-buffer spu-medialib, double-buffer spu-medialib, SDL1.2 sdl:driver=ps3 and x86-video-spu drivers to speed up video playback. )

Yeah - that's in the sticky. :D

(Well - with the VLC plugin, anyway. :D)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alastor » 15 Jun 2010, 12:05

ppietro wrote:Yeah - that's in the sticky. (Well - with the VLC plugin, anyway. )

Ye, I have found links. :)
The only disadvantage of such method is the fact that some servers, like Youtube, update themselves too often and your Greasemonkey script becomes broken, usually. And then you have errors when trying to play Youtube videos.
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby TheOneFallen » 20 Jun 2010, 20:52

Thanks but how do i get it working with Opera?
TheOneFallen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Jun 2010, 01:13

TheOneFallen wrote:Thanks but how do i get it working with Opera?

What - YouTube or Java?

If it's Java, follow the instructions here:
viewtopic.php?t=2944

Java 6 instructions are here:
viewtopic.php?t=2944#p11342

If it's YouTube, I don't think you can. The only way we can get it to work is by using the Firefox scripting tool Greasemonkey to link to VLC/Mplayer. Since Greasemonkey doesn't work with Opera, and Gnash is too buggy to handle YouTube, I don't have any other solution for you.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheOneFallen » 21 Jun 2010, 20:32

Hmmm, I guess I might be okay without Youtube and just keep switching back to my game OS, but I just want to speed this up.

I'm going to start with the Terminal soon and get stuff going, then I'll decide whether I want to keep Firefox or not. Thanks!
TheOneFallen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 22 Jun 2010, 01:33

By the way - I tested Opera with the latest version of Gnash - 0.8.7 - and it works about the same as Firefox. Any ActionScript 2 players - like the embedded YouTube player - work, but the more modern ActionScript 3 players - like the main YouTube player - fail.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3