GeoHot Retires from PS3 and iPhone Hacking...

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: GeoHot Retires from PS3 and iPhone Hacking...

Postby aguilarojo » 17 Jul 2010, 12:34

Iguana wrote:A laptop with 6 cores? Hey, wouldn't that just burn up the laptop? :?

Nearly every laptop gets hot; some get so hot that should you work with one on your lap or even in an airline seat or waiting room you could be sterilizing yourself. What prevents laptops from becoming exploding ovens is a mixture of serendipitous engineering and the owner of the laptop considering well where to properly place or utilize accessories for the device so it remains cool. One simple and inexpensive solution is to place a text book about 1-2 inches high when closed such that the back end of the laptop sits there and the front slopes down to the user. In truth, although you could buy myriad devices to cool your laptop it may be best to use what insight and understanding of basic physics that one has.

billb wrote:I love the "it's-only-as-portable-as-you-are-strong" comment. :lol:

I've come across that exact same article and thought that phrase was quite humourous. Eurocom seems to be working to establish it's reputation to transfer seriously powerful chips into laptops before anyone else to address the wishes of those who want that power in the laptop format. It is of course one thing to wish to have such power, quite another to be able to pay for it. As much as I'd be very interested in moving beyond the g4 I've got to wait for the prices to drop to a reasonable level. Besides I haven't succeeded yet in mastering all the programming nuances of the VMX in the g4 -- yet.

Also although Paul was able to highlight for me the VMX's existence in other Power systems, I've not come across yet that processing at 128 bits is possible with the new hybrids. For me, it's an interesting question as I'm looking to expand my experimentation with 128 bit programming but also utilize the advantages of multicore and multithreading, as I understand it currently nearly everything available processes in 64 bits. Don't mind my ruminations, I've always had interests that were a bit different.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby TheOneFallen » 18 Jul 2010, 13:30

I'm just going to throw my two cents in here, at first I believed that Geohot had agood intentions and could have done something for the PS3 scene, but when Sony locked out Linux I couldn't help but think Geohot would do something, I was wrong as always. But I hope in the future someone will release CFW and be able to revive what ashes will be left. With each passing day someone else gives in and I fear that eventually we'll all lose ourselves and give up hope. I hope that we all can pull together and be able to contiunue our survival, we don't need Terra Soft or Sony for updates, the Community has kept YDL on the PS3 alive since April and will continue to I'm sure, I'd love to help in any way possible, I'm no programmer but I'd love to help. :3
Hoping To Finish My Linux Project Soon. :D
TheOneFallen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 18 Jul 2010, 21:44

TheOneFallen wrote:I'm just going to throw my two cents in here, at first I believed that Geohot had agood intentions and could have done something for the PS3 scene, but when Sony locked out Linux I couldn't help but think Geohot would do something, I was wrong as always. But I hope in the future someone will release CFW and be able to revive what ashes will be left. With each passing day someone else gives in and I fear that eventually we'll all lose ourselves and give up hope. I hope that we all can pull together and be able to contiunue our survival, we don't need Terra Soft or Sony for updates, the Community has kept YDL on the PS3 alive since April and will continue to I'm sure, I'd love to help in any way possible, I'm no programmer but I'd love to help. :3

Hi!

Good intentions aside there is a very real limit, given human nature, what anyone does for free. The question regarding why technically skilled persons, including novices at various skill levels, programmers, engineers, scientists contribute such efforts to myriad projects could broadly be understood in terms of attempting to contribute something to benefit anyone who may not have financial resources to utilize or access commercial software. There have been many efforts by individuals and corporations to carefully distinguish products and projects which are offered for free and which are offered for pay (commercial products) - which is why although there exists something called a General Public License there are at last count a stunning amount of variants of just what that means. The Open Source Initiative is a good example of this variety. Individuals, Corporations, Universities and Research Centers are so concerned regarding specifying clearly these terms that sometimes they write their own License which a user or programmer must explore and study carefully before downloading that software for use - sometimes their license is a variant of OSI, sometimes it is not and therefore that project publishes their own license to apply to their product alone someplace on the same website where their software is available for download.

The point of sharing the above is to present that there are many, many activities and means where anyone who is willing can contribute their time to "do something" creative and useful. One can participate within the skills one has currently say as a writer, while one studies another area of programming software which one may not be familiar with. There are many open source projects looking for help; if you wish you can look up the project which produced every software package provided within YDL and visit their website and ask how you can help them in some way.

The point of difficulty with understanding YDL is that I believe it is difficult to offer to "help it move forward" unless one understands well the organizational structure which originally created and supported it. YDL, YDEL and various other products and services including the creation and support of what we know as the YDL community was created by Kai Staats, as CEO of Terra Soft Solutions (TSS) and maintained by that company. As many know TSS was absorbed by Fixstars and for a time Fixstars continued that tradition up until Kai left. One more wrinkle regarding YDL, it always was developed within TSS and sold for a period of time as a commercial product of TSS -- only later released as being available for free on the public mirrors. What made YDL the premier Linux distribution of it's kind for so long for PowerPC systems was this dedicated and special production process by a commercial entity which completely controlled all aspects of it's development and release.

TSS and later Fixstars employed this model regarding YDL which is rather different from how Sun, for example, produced products it intended to be released as open source. Sun,now owned by Oracle, kept it's commercial product StarOffice (now known as Oracle Open Office) separate from the open source version OpenOffice.org, although their code base have the same binaries. However, Oracle Open Office and OpenOffice.org remain under Oracle's control. You can refer to their distinctions more closely here as you do so keep in mind that OpenOffice.org was never offered for a fee although the people running the OpenOffice.org project do ask for donations. Another distinction is that Fixstars, the only bone fide owner of YDL has decided that YDL 6.2 is the last version of YDL to support PowerPC systems; Oracle however has allowed OpenOffice.org to continue development.

The current problem for the YDL community is that the managerial and technical organizational structure which supported it, no longer exists. If "moving forward" is possible it will have to find resources from within it's current membership to organize as an organization, develop a management format and a definition of it's existence while avoiding the temptation to refer to the YDL name which remains and is a name owned by Fixstars. A new name and project could potentially state it's origins as stemming from YDL but it will "as it moves forward" have to be distinct from Fixstar's YDL product. This process -- however it moves forward -- is not easy to achieve. One illustration of how difficult this is which in my view reflects at least one aspect of this problem, is to consider what happened to one of the projects started by Sun after Sun was acquired by Oracle.

Most techies are very aware of the vast amount of projects which Sun both initiated and contributed to which include Java, Open Office, MySQL, Open Solaris and others. Just before Sun was consumed by Oracle there was movement within the Sun community to establish a PowerPC port of Open Solaris. Open Solaris is a very competitive alternative to Linux and it is a more sophisticated operating system which is open source and runs on x86 systems primarily. The movement supporting Open Solaris to be ported to the PowerPC was going well until it was clear that Sun was to be sold to Oracle, and around that time that whole effort collapsed entirely. It may someday resurrect again, but the problem is similar to what I'm discussing as regards the YDL community "moving forward" with a strong technical product as vibrant as what YDL once was. The problem with the Open Solaris port to the PowerPC is not unlike the problem I'm presenting in a very cursory overview. Organizing the technical and managerial talent so that positive results occur which allow the production of a Linux supporting the PowerPC family as solidly as -- if this is possible -- as well or nearly so as the YDL distribution exhibited in the past.

As I explained earlier it is not a simple matter for any user community to come together to supplant or restore or otherwise replace managerial and technical skills towards the goal of developing a respected Linux distribution which meets users needs regardless of their expertise.
Last edited by aguilarojo on 19 Jul 2010, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ning » 19 Jul 2010, 20:34

Good comments.
thanks guys, I learn a lot :D

As what they said, walk! there must be a way :lol:

Thanks.
ning
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby sirgrinalot » 23 Jul 2010, 01:48

In the comments on his 3.2100 blog post with youtube video I remember telling people it was a hoax, but they wouldn't believe me.

He posted this video BEFORE the DNS and proxy workarounds were terminated by sony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-9wLWQ4-uA

The only thing he would need to do to redeem himself after the termination of DNS and proxy workarounds, is show the very same video only with the addition of being logged into the PSN essentially proving his "hack" to the whole world.

I was talking to a friend in iPhone scene the other day about this article:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/10/geohot-teases-iphone-4-jailbreak-no-plans-for-release/

Just think, my friend said all he had to do was take a screenshot on a 3gs, send it to his iphone 4 and run a slideshow. I was like, well that is entirely possible. Then geohot conveniently announces his retirement, and is allowed to go out with two of the biggest bangs in hacking hoax history the ps3 and the iphone 4.
PlayStation 3 80GB (CECHE01) (Upgraded to Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB), FW 3.15, YDL 6.2
Samsung LN-T3242HX 32" LCD
Logitech Bluetooth MediaBoard Pro
PS Network ID: sirgrinalot
sirgrinalot
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby roshi » 27 Jul 2010, 14:26

You guys are so PASSIONATE about PowerPC - I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :lol:

Honestly, I'm happy I chose YDL 6.2 as the OS for my Mac and not Ubuntu or Fedora ~ you guys are the greatest.

--roshi
--those who complain rarely read. those who read rarely complain.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Previous

Return to Playstation 3