Help with yaboot

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Help with yaboot

Postby sorrowxiii » 14 Jul 2010, 09:43

Hello,

I've recently tried changing the display and messed up my yaboot.conf file, I know I made a backup as explained on "Howto: PS3 Video (YDL 6)" thread by billb, so my question, what is the path of the backup yaboot file(yaboot.conf.backup) if I were to open it using vi at the safe loader as explained in "Howto: Boot recovery (YDL 6)".

it's that I've no idea what the version is, I think if I knew that and just changed the version it's going to load all fine, since at the loading it says something like, "vmlinux xx.x.x.x" not found.

Code: Select all
image=/vmlinux-????????????????
        label=linux
        read-only
        initrd=/initrd-??????????????????
        append="video=ps3fb:mode:5 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/1"

Is there a way to open up the yaboot.conf.backup, and if not, is there a way to check the version number from the YDL installation disk or from anywhere?
sorrowxiii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Help with yaboot

Postby billb » 14 Jul 2010, 12:42

I understand ... the backup copy is likely on sda2 instead of the boot partition (sda1), so at Step 5 of the boot recovery guide you'd also need to mount that partition to copy the backup file located at etc/yaboot.conf.backup ... I'll try to go through the process sometime today and add the necessary steps.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with yaboot

Postby sorrowxiii » 14 Jul 2010, 12:57

Thanks billb, I thought I was done for. It was a really long and wonderful but tough journey getting all the emulators to work perfectly.

I know I messed up pretty badly but I really would not want to start over.

[EDIT]

Yeah billb, that's exactly where it was. I found the right one and now it loads perfectly. Can't thank you enough, you're simply a life saver. :D
sorrowxiii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3