I need a mentor for ydl 6.2

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

I need a mentor for ydl 6.2

Postby clem58 » 26 Jul 2010, 18:38

I've come to the startling conclusion that i need a mentor to teach me how to use this ydl properly. I've got the opera 10.60 installed and i have added my listings to it, my email works ok. but on my first attempt to install a programme it goes arse up. so if any of you guys want to give me a task a day i'll be greatful. :(
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: I need a mentor for ydl 6.2

Postby roshi » 27 Jul 2010, 14:12

I mainly use ydl 6.2 as my home computer. I read e-mail, browse the net, connect to the office computers, and use it as a media center (watch dvd, download youtube files, store photo cd's, listen to internet radio, play cd music). I use the enlightenment desktop and KDE desktop. Most everything I do is through the graphical user interface (GUI). I am not a terminal commander. I have compiled some software with the help of Paul and Billb, but downloading the RPM works better for me. I have found that tooling around with the computer, reading articles online, and jumping right in there are the best teachers when it comes to YDL. When that fails - ask Paul or Billb :mrgreen: The people who make up this community are invaluable as they CARE SO MUCH about this linux distribution. Never be afraid to ask anything.

If you want a task, do this: Change your enlightenment desktop shelf configuration to include the TClock gadget. Then change the TClock gadget to 12 hour time using the GUI and not the command terminal.

Give it a shot first, then look through the forum. Remember: "google is your friend".

--roshi
--those who complain rarely read. those who read rarely complain.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby clem58 » 27 Jul 2010, 16:23

Thanks for the post mate, I'm enjoying myself but i'm afraid of wrecking my ps3 so i'm apprehensive, as to what i should be doing. Would i be right in saying that my ps3 needs a anti virus.If so recommend one please. :mrgreen: :D THanks again.
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 27 Jul 2010, 17:31

clem58 wrote:Thanks for the post mate, I'm enjoying myself but i'm afraid of wrecking my ps3 so i'm apprehensive, as to what i should be doing. Would i be right in saying that my ps3 needs a anti virus.If so recommend one please. :mrgreen: :D THanks again.

It's not possible to "wreck your ps3" during normal use of PS3 Linux -- worst case you just reinstall. I don't know how many times I screwed things up early in my learning process, but it was a lot! :lol: As roshi suggested, just jump right in!

Re: antivirus software, no, it's not much of a concern for us -- see this post.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 29 Jul 2010, 00:02

Anti-virus software isn't necessary and at the same time it is. Bare with me on this. If there is one thing that I've recognized over the years, viruses can be passed on to vulnerable systems from Linux and Unix systems. I have attached my personal laptops to my office network and scanned them for viruses. Sure enough, they were there and easily cleaned. Anti-virus software for Linux should be used for digitally hygienic purposes :lol: . Lets not pass on viruses to our more vulnerable friends or enemies.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby clem58 » 29 Jul 2010, 02:10

They were very reassuring post THANKS. :D i love the fact that i'm learning this stuff, my granddaughter thinks i'm a nut. :lol:
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 29 Jul 2010, 02:38

roshi wrote:Anti-virus software isn't necessary and at the same time it is. Bare with me on this. If there is one thing that I've recognized over the years, viruses can be passed on to vulnerable systems from Linux and Unix systems. I have attached my personal laptops to my office network and scanned them for viruses. Sure enough, they were there and easily cleaned. Anti-virus software for Linux should be used for digitally hygienic purposes :lol: . Lets not pass on viruses to our more vulnerable friends or enemies.

Can't argue with that. :) YDL 6.2 has clamav available in Extras, but with no more official updates coming I'm not sure how useful that will be ... it might be best to build from source.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 30 Jul 2010, 03:05

Anti-virus software can be installed on an OS X, Intel Linux, or 'god forbid' Window$ machine on your network. I know AVG for windows and i386 Linux scans network shares and works very well.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby clem58 » 31 Jul 2010, 14:38

Is this anti virus open source if so how do i come by it. I spent a few days trying to set up and use streaming, its great i was pleased with myself. Now its back to linux. I need a list of the different programmes & applications staring with the easiest. That if you or the other chaps will oblige. Can you send me a link for a good anti virus plus instalation instructions. Happy first of august :mrgreen: :)
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby roshi » 03 Aug 2010, 03:14

If your package manager is set up, you can install anti-virus software from there. You can refer to billb's article - Installing Software the Easy Way.

If you enjoy streaming video, install gnash. If you enjoy encoding video, install ffmpeg2theora.

-- roshi
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3