I got 2 problems/questions. Help pls

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

I got 2 problems/questions. Help pls

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 31 Jul 2010, 18:43

Btw tyvm Billb for the Java walkthrough. Since I had Zerogame it was cake to install. :D

I play youtube on YDL 6.2 with VLC & it works great. I use the totem movie player for movies but it isn't all that (for some reason in the middle of the movie the sound goes away and it plays in slow-mo almost like major lag?) so I tried to play a movie with VLC. When I click on the VLC icon it won't even load up. Is it not suppose to? I followed the walkthrough on here to play youtube with VLC but I figured I could watch movies or at the least open it. lol Any tips on how to make VLC play movies or even open up lol or get the default totem movie player working better?

Also I wanted to try swfdec instead of gnash. So I yum install swfdec swfdec-mozilla
It was starting to install and then I got a error that said missing dependency: libx264.so.55 is needed by package swfdec What does that mean & is swfdec still working?
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: I got 2 problems/questions. Help pls

Postby billb » 31 Jul 2010, 19:13

Psychokillaz79 wrote:I play youtube on YDL 6.2 with VLC & it works great. I use the totem movie player for movies but it isn't all that (for some reason in the middle of the movie the sound goes away and it plays in slow-mo almost like major lag?) so I tried to play a movie with VLC. When I click on the VLC icon it won't even load up. Is it not suppose to? I followed the walkthrough on here to play youtube with VLC but I figured I could watch movies or at the least open it. lol Any tips on how to make VLC play movies or even open up lol or get the default totem movie player working better?

Try starting vlc from a terminal window and see what error it gives...

Code: Select all
vlc

Also want to see which version you have just in case ...

rpm -q vlc

Also I wanted to try swfdec instead of gnash. So I yum install swfdec swfdec-mozilla
It was starting to install and then I got a error that said missing dependency: libx264.so.55 is needed by package swfdec What does that mean & is swfdec still working?

I haven't used it in a long time, but I better check on that dependency issue -- it may need to be rebuilt and updated on the repo.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 02 Aug 2010, 02:25

Ok ty. I'll get back & let you know what happens when I enter what you told me about the VLC part of my question. (I'm on a laptop not PS3/YDL atm) It is weird. mplayer/totem/VLC all can play Youtube or other flash type video with user scripts/greasefire-greasemonkey/Keep Tube etc very well but VLC won't even open when I click on icon to play a movie.

Ok let me know if you find anything about the swfdec swfdec-mozilla install. (I heard swfdec actually works a little better than Gnash but idk4s) I was looking forward to trying it out. I googled that error I posted above & it seems that others have gotten the same error as me.
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 02 Aug 2010, 18:44

[root@localhost ~]# vlc
VLC is not supposed to be run as root. Sorry.
If you need to use real-time priorities and/or privileged TCP ports
you can use vlc-wrapper (make sure it is Set-UID root first and
cannot be run by non-trusted users first).
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -q vlc
vlc-0.9.5-2.ydl62.bdg

I yum install vlc, ffmpeg, gstreamer, mplayer, totem with greafire/greasemonkey, vlctube, m-tube, youttube without flash, keep tube & youtotem to watch flash/youtube. VLC is the one I use the most. It wroks pretty good. I have no clue why I got these messages above what is wrong?
Last edited by Psychokillaz79 on 02 Aug 2010, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 02 Aug 2010, 18:47

Psychokillaz79 wrote:[root@localhost ~]# vlc
vlc-0.9.5-2.ydl62.bdg
[root@localhost ~]#

I yum install vlc, ffmpeg, gstreamer, mplayer, totem with greafire/greasemonkey, vlctube, m-tube, youttube without flash, keep tube & youtotem to watch flash/youtube. VLC is the one I use the most. It wroks pretty good. I have no clue why I got these messages above what is wrong?

It looks like you're logging into the console as root. Normally, in Linux, you setup a standard user account and only use root for system administration.

Try creating a normal account and see if that works. If you're using the GUI, I think there's a Users & Groups application that will do it for you, otherwise from a terminal, the command is adduser, IIRC.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 02 Aug 2010, 18:50

ok ill try make user acct. is that the right vlc installed? i fixed my last post and put it in code. just figured out how to do that. i never made a user acct since most things need to be log-in as root to do. lol.
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 02 Aug 2010, 19:03

ppietro wrote:
Psychokillaz79 wrote:[root@localhost ~]# vlc
vlc-0.9.5-2.ydl62.bdg
[root@localhost ~]#

It looks like you're logging into the console as root. Normally, in Linux, you setup a standard user account and only use root for system administration.

Try creating a normal account and see if that works. If you're using the GUI, I think there's a Users & Groups application that will do it for you, otherwise from a terminal, the command is adduser, IIRC.

Cheers,
Paul

The commands adduser llRC did not work for me. I can't find an app to make a new user in gnome or e-17. Can you direct me there or do I need to reinstall YDL?
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 02 Aug 2010, 19:04

Psychokillaz79 wrote:ok ill try make user acct. is that the right vlc installed? i fixed my last post and put it in code. just figured out how to do that. i never made a user acct since most things need to be log-in as root to do. lol.

Yeah - I hear you. Luckily, if you're using gnome, there's a built-in feature that prompts you for your root password if you run a system application, then holds that key for about 5 minutes so other system apps can use it. If you're using the terminal window, then you can switch that terminal window - and that terminal window only - to root by using the su -l command. (That's s u space dash lower-case L).

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 02 Aug 2010, 19:06

Psychokillaz79 wrote:The commands adduser llRC did not work for me. I can't find an app to make a new user in gnome or e-17. Can you direct me there or do I need to reinstall YDL?

Heh - IIRC is internet shorthand for "If I Remember Correctly", not part of the command. :D

The command is actually useradd, but there's an alias for adduser since everyone in Linux gets them mixed up. :)

You can find out more about the command by typing man useradd for system help pages. I think you can just use defaults, though.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 02 Aug 2010, 19:09

ppietro wrote: I think you can just use defaults, though.

ADDENDUM: you may have to manually set the password for the new account, using the passwd command. Here's a terminal session where I do that:

[root@localhost ~]# useradd testme
[root@localhost ~]# passwd testme
Changing password for user testme.
New UNIX password:
BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
[root@localhost ~]#

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 02 Aug 2010, 19:10

Ok, I'll give it a round 2 and get back you in a few. Have to run to store 4 cigs.
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 02 Aug 2010, 19:53

Psychokillaz79 wrote:[root@localhost ~]# rpm -q vlc
vlc-0.9.5-2.ydl62.bdg[/code]

That's the correct version ... my terminal output looks like this when I start vlc:
[bill@localhost ~]$ vlc
VLC media player 0.9.5 Grishenko
[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.5 Grishenko - (c) 1996-2008 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure  '--build=powerpc-redhat-linux-gnu' '--host=powerpc-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=ppc-yellowdog-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--disable-rpath' '--enable-release' '--with-tuning=no' '--enable-switcher' '--enable-shout' '--enable-live555' '--enable-opencv' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-gnomevfs' '--enable-cddax' '--disable-swscale' '--enable-imgresample' '--enable-faad' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-real' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-flac' '--enable-tremor' '--enable-speex' '--enable-tarkin' '--enable-theora' '--enable-svg' '--enable-snapshot' '--enable-directfb' '--enable-aa' '--enable-caca' '--enable-esd' '--enable-arts' '--enable-jack' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-xosd' '--enable-fbosd' '--enable-galaktos' '--enable-lirc' '--without-contrib' '--enable-mozilla' 'build_alias=powerpc-redhat-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=powerpc-redhat-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=ppc-yellowdog-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32' 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32'
[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 02 Aug 2010, 20:44

So basically if I would have made a user acct when I first installed YDL, VLC would have worked when I clicked on it?

Do you know why my totem movie player plays the movie for like 15-20minutes and then always lags out to no sound and the movie in slow motion? Screensaver? Any fix or just use VLC only?
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 02 Aug 2010, 23:09

Psychokillaz79 wrote:So basically if I would have made a user acct when I first installed YDL, VLC would have worked when I clicked on it?

Maybe ... :) Is it working as a regular user now?

Do you know why my totem movie player plays the movie for like 15-20minutes and then always lags out to no sound and the movie in slow motion? Screensaver? Any fix or just use VLC only?

Just guessing, but it may be that the PS3 (without hardware accelerated video on PS3 Linux) can't quite keep up with the movie ... launching totem from a terminal window and watching the output there might let you know what's going on.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 02 Aug 2010, 23:55

Psychokillaz79 wrote:Do you know why my totem movie player plays the movie for like 15-20minutes and then always lags out to no sound and the movie in slow motion? Screensaver? Any fix or just use VLC only?

What's the pixel resolution of the movie?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Playstation 3