Slow linux

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Slow linux

Postby clem58 » 02 Aug 2010, 17:01

Does anyone know of a fix for linux. Here's my problem when i switch to other operating system on ps3 i put in my user name & password then its a 10min wait for my desk top to appear, didn't bother me in the beginning but its starting to.Assistance would be welcome. :mrgreen: :?:
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: Slow linux

Postby xnonsuchx » 05 Aug 2010, 05:02

clem58 wrote:Does anyone know of a fix for linux. Here's my problem when i switch to other operating system on ps3 i put in my user name & password then its a 10min wait for my desk top to appear, didn't bother me in the beginning but its starting to.Assistance would be welcome. :mrgreen: :?:

Is 10 min. an exaggeration? A min. or so is normal, and the only things that are going to help w/ the overall speed is the speed of the HD (not sure about later 'phats,' but earlier phat PS3s had 4200rpm drives..newer 5400/7200rpm drives might speed things up a little, but not drastically), disabling unneeded services (or if other programs are set up to run at boot), MAYBE using Ethernet vs Wi-Fi, and maybe a few other things I can't think of right now. If you've been using YDL a long time and messed around with things a lot or even had YDL 6.1 and updated it to 6.2, a clean install of YDL 6.2 might be a good idea. Without anyone else really looking at your system, it would be difficult to troubleshoot.
xnonsuchx
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby clem58 » 05 Aug 2010, 14:18

Exaggeration! swords at dawn, :lol: No, I had a previous version of ydl last year but the ps3 has been formatted twice since then. at the min i have 6.2 from the moment i enter my password the blue screen fades and stays that way for about 5min then it goes blank for at least three but a max of 10min you can almost set your watch buy it. Its the worst thing in the world that has ever happened to me, i'm just wondering if it can be fixed, cuz it can be annoying at times. :)
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby xnonsuchx » 06 Aug 2010, 01:17

clem58 wrote:Exaggeration! swords at dawn, :lol: No, I had a previous version of ydl last year but the ps3 has been formatted twice since then. at the min i have 6.2 from the moment i enter my password the blue screen fades and stays that way for about 5min then it goes blank for at least three but a max of 10min you can almost set your watch buy it. Its the worst thing in the world that has ever happened to me, i'm just wondering if it can be fixed, cuz it can be annoying at times. :)

What desktop environment are you using? Enlightenment (the default) is horrifically slow on PS3 YDL, which is why I use Gnome (XFCE is supposed to be even zippier). Otherwise, I don't know why it's so slow for you because Gnome loads the the desktop in about 10-20 secs. for me and even when I've accidentally used Enlightenment, it would only take 1-2 mins. at most...and even using the original 60GB 4200rpm SATA-I Seagate Momentus HD it originally came with instead of my newer 250GB 5400rpm SATA-II HD. Maybe your HD is semi-faulty, accessing data much slower than it should??? Can you hook it up to a PC to run some diag utils on it? There's probably even some Linux diag software that can check it, but I don't know if there's any pre-installed or what to download.
xnonsuchx
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby clem58 » 07 Aug 2010, 16:15

I'm not that savvy with linux so don't know the cause but if you want to tell me a method of how to possibly sort it i'm willing to try it. So long as you warn me of any pitfalls (how i got it installed is a mystery) its slow slow at the min but to make matters worse would be a disaster as i've just doled out £250.00 on xbox360 for the rest of my tribe so that i could have my ps3 in my own room.So your help would be appreciated. :) :mrgreen:
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 08 Aug 2010, 09:48

My YDL on PS3 runs pretty darm fast! I tweaked it alot and it runs as fast as my Windows XP laptop does.
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby clem58 » 08 Aug 2010, 19:49

I'm wondering if i reinstall it would it make a difference, as you say yours is fast, but our kid thinks my linux is annoyingly slow. I myself wouldn't notice cuz i live life in the slow lane. :lol: But i am open to suggestions. :) :mrgreen:
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 10 Aug 2010, 00:23

You might want to try the XFCE4 alternative desktop included with YDL 6.2.

To do that, open a terminal window and:

Code: Select all
su

<root password>
yum groupinstall "XFCE4 Desktop Environment"

cp -a /etc/skel/.config ~

exit

Then logout ... at the login screen click on Session and select XFCE4. You'll have the option of making the change permanent or just for this session when you log in.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 10 Aug 2010, 00:46

clem58 wrote:Exaggeration! swords at dawn, :lol: No, I had a previous version of ydl last year but the ps3 has been formatted twice since then. at the min i have 6.2 from the moment i enter my password the blue screen fades and stays that way for about 5min then it goes blank for at least three but a max of 10min you can almost set your watch buy it. Its the worst thing in the world that has ever happened to me, i'm just wondering if it can be fixed, cuz it can be annoying at times. :)

This might be a networking issue.

The failure is as follows:

When you log into a Linux box, it looks in a file called /etc/hosts for an entry that matches the name of the machine. If the machine name is there - say "mycomputer" - the system will use that file to resolve that name to an IP address (e.g. 127.0.0.1) to finish the login authentication. However - if that entry isn't in your /etc/hosts file, it will try to resolve that name by talking to your upstream DNS server on your internet network.

Usually - this happens instantaneously. However - if the network is down - the system will time out waiting for a response from the DNS server it can't reach. If you have networking, you can also run into this if the machine's name is not registered in DNS - which happens pretty frequently, especially with Linux boxes talking to a Windows DNS server.

What you can do:

From a terminal window, type this command:

hostname

It should give you the name of the computer. Now, type this command:

cat /etc/hosts

Make sure that the hostname of the computer is in this listing. It should resolve to an IP address - most likely 127.0.0.1. If it isn't there - you may need to manually add it.

Here's a sample from a CentOS box - it's similar to the way YDL would treat it. This is for a Linux box using DHCP - which is how most computers are configured:

[ppietro@localhost ~]$ hostname
localhost.localdomain
[ppietro@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
[ppietro@localhost ~]$

hostname prints out the name of the host

cat prints out the contents of a file - in this case hosts in the /etc directory

The first line of the hosts file is the one we're interested in. At the far left, we see 127.0.0.1 which is the local loopback address of the computer. That's a good internal IP address for a machine to use - and it has no bearing on your external IP address, which is how you'd talk to the internet.

Next on the line are two entries for machine names - localhost.localdomain and localhost. This means that the machine's full name is localhost.localdomain but it will respond to the shorthand name localhost as well.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3