External harddrive

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

External harddrive

Postby clem58 » 03 Aug 2010, 21:02

Is there a way of connecting a external hard drive to linux ps3 if so can someone give me simplified instruction. :?
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: External harddrive

Postby ppietro » 03 Aug 2010, 21:22

clem58 wrote:Is there a way of connecting a external hard drive to linux ps3 if so can someone give me simplified instruction. :?

Basically, all you need is an external USB drive. Plug it into the PS3, and it will auto-mount. You should be able to double click the "Computer" icon on your deskotp and see the drive. Double-click on the drive's name to open it.

NOTE: You'll probably want to format the external drive FAT32 if it isn't already. This will allow you to share it between GameOS and OtherOS.

2nd NOTE: Linux has an incomplete NTFS driver. With stock YDL, you can only read NTFS drives, not write to them. You'll either need to load a new NTFS driver for YDL or just reformat the drive with one of the native Linux formats.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clem58 » 03 Aug 2010, 22:05

Thankyou. I posted a link on how to compile or build linux, have you spied it? can you tell me if you think it might be to complicated for someone like me who trouble just trying to install linux. Let me know what you think. :)
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 03 Aug 2010, 22:12

clem58 wrote:Thankyou. I posted a link on how to compile or build linux, have you spied it? can you tell me if you think it might be to complicated for someone like me who trouble just trying to install linux. Let me know what you think. :)

You didn't indicate you wanted a response to that posting. I'll respond there - and all follow-up questions about it should be posted there.

This thread needs to stay on topic - please keep it to USB external harddrive questions only, or I'll have to lock it. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3