Switching video modes at kboot

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Switching video modes at kboot

Postby sorrowxiii » 16 Aug 2010, 14:11

ppietro explained it perfectly on the thread "PS3 on multiple TVs".
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3198&p=12521#p12521

But I just wanted to know if I'm going to have to mess with the fbset thing everytime I switch to a different mode at startup. :?

Any help greatly appreciated.
sorrowxiii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Switching video modes at kboot

Postby billb » 16 Aug 2010, 16:22

It seems likely that you would ... are you literally switching between different TVs or just changing resolution for other reasons?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sorrowxiii » 17 Aug 2010, 03:10

No, just the same TV. Since I think the emulators run a bit more smooth in a lower resolution. I'm not sure, just feels like there's a little slowdown on a higher resolution when running the games with fullscreen mode.

I'd probably go for the lower resolution if this really is the case, since emulation is the top most priority for me here.

Thanks billb. :)
sorrowxiii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 17 Aug 2010, 12:40

sorrowxiii wrote:No, just the same TV. Since I think the emulators run a bit more smooth in a lower resolution. I'm not sure, just feels like there's a little slowdown on a higher resolution when running the games with fullscreen mode.

I'd probably go for the lower resolution if this really is the case, since emulation is the top most priority for me here.

Yes, that is indeed the case. The trick when running at a high resolution is to have the emulator run the games in their native resolution and zoom in with the fscaler tool. That uses one or more of the Cell's SPEs to handle the scaling, leaving the PPE to concentrate on running the emulator.

fscaler and a frontend (scalergui) for it are both available in the ps3bodega repo for YDL 6.2.

The sdlmame rpm on ps3bodega is an unofficial patched version to allow for native resolution in full screen mode since the PS3 can't switch resolutions on the fly, and also includes a script (mame-scaler.sh) to automatically determine the best scaling mode for your current resolution and game selected. mame-scaler.sh uses the original version of the scaler tool instead of fscaler -- which reminds me I need to update that next time around. :)
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3