How do I redo setup of Evolution mail client?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

How do I redo setup of Evolution mail client?

Postby Nobody » 21 Aug 2010, 09:34

[MODERATOR EDIT: We don't allow topic piggybacking on our forum. Next time, start a new thread, instead of adding to an inappropriate thread. Split off and retitled. -Paul]

i didnt want to start new thread so minds well use this for my question :bump:

How do i restart settings for redo setup of YDL 6.2 Evolution mail client?

because i used Evolution to email people, but i dont get a responce from them in a long time.

my first set up of Evolution was good, i say Good because i see 'message sent' on my yahoo "message sent" box

so question again, how can i set up Evolution to the right settings?
NEED TO:2make ydl 6 like ps3webbrowser,but wit more computer capabilities. HELP IS NEEDED

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux ppc64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020516 YellowDog/3.0.6-1.ydl6.1 Firefox/3.0.6
Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: How do I redo setup of Evolution mail client?

Postby Nobody » 29 Aug 2010, 04:53

I really need help.

i want my send and receive email from Evolution APPEAR on my yahoo inbox so ill know for sure Evolution Mail works
i need a walk through set up for my ydl mail evolution client
Attachments
Screenshot.png
wtf?
Screenshot.png (61.06 KiB) Viewed 9314 times
NEED TO:2make ydl 6 like ps3webbrowser,but wit more computer capabilities. HELP IS NEEDED

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux ppc64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020516 YellowDog/3.0.6-1.ydl6.1 Firefox/3.0.6
Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 30 Aug 2010, 13:29

PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » 01 Sep 2010, 05:03

billb wrote:http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=evolution+mail+setup

google?
thats why i register with a forum so that i dont have to go on Google
I hate to say it but, the more u guys use google as a refrence or to answer someones question, google just might charch u a fee.
dont say i didnt warn u.
hey bilb!!, since your in a replying mood, mind helping me set up frostwire and deluge properly
because i set up both by my own knowlege but it seems like its not giving me 100%
for example, deluge says "downloading" on status, bus i dont see no other information like 'how many % complete, orhow many mb im dloading per second. from what im seeing, looks like torent is filed but deluge not dloading?
and frostwire, i also set up but it alo not correctly installed/set up
i set up New User and redo set up for Deluge, Frostwire and Evolution, but this time im going to set it up properly, with the help of YELLOWDOG-BOARD forum

Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 01 Sep 2010, 06:06

Nobody wrote:google?
thats why i register with a forum so that i dont have to go on Google
I hate to say it but, the more u guys use google as a refrence or to answer someones question, google just might charch u a fee.
dont say i didnt warn u.

No problem. Here you go :D :
http://www.bing.com/search?q=evolution+ ... k=&sc=1-20

Nobody wrote:hey bilb!!, since your in a replying mood, mind helping me set up frostwire and deluge properly

Frostwire instructions have already been posted. They haven't changed since you asked the last time, I'm afraid.

For your reference, we discussed it here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7604&start=15#p39577

And, if you read through the referenced thread:
viewtopic.php?p=12117#p12117

you'll see that billb had to follow the same steps I outlined. Sorry I can't make it easier - Frostwire is just difficult to setup.

billb did have an easier method for installing IBM's Java:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7604&start=45#p39603

After that, here's the Frostwire install steps:

As root:
1. Install IBM Java 6.0 and any needed dependent libraries.
2. Create a symbolic link from the "java" file to /usr/local/bin by opening up a terminal and typing:
Code: Select all
ln -s /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/bin/java /usr/local/bin

3. Install the Linux Frostwire RPM from a terminal by typing
Code: Select all
rpm -ivh frostwire-4.13.5.noarch.rpm

4. Set the PS3 firewall to allow TCP and UDP connections on a random, safe port. As an example, I used 9140/TCP and 9140/UDP.
5. Log off as root.

On your firewall/router:
1. Assign your PS3 a "Static DHCP" address if you're using DHCP. If your PS3 uses a Static IP address, skip to the next step.

- how do I tell if I have a Static IP or DHCP address ?
If your PS3's IP address is something like 192.168.0.3, that's most likely a DHCP address. The issue is that your router will randomly assign addresses to your PS3 - you want a fixed one so that the next step works every time.

2. Create a Port Forwarding rule on your router that links your router's external IP address to your PS3's IP address for port 9140. Set this for both TCP and UDP.

As a normal user:
1. Open a terminal and type "frostwire"
or
1. Select Frostwire from the Gnome menu
2. After Frostwire starts up, select Tools-->Options
3. Go to Advanced --> Firewall Config,
4. Set the "Listen on port" to 9140,
5. Check Manual Port Forward and set that to 9140.
6. Close the Options dialog box

At this point, the globe icon in Frostwire should change from a brick wall to an open globe. You're good to go.

ADDENDUM: The change from the globe icon to brick wall might take a while. A *long* while. Some of the Frostwire/Limewire forums have suggested a 15+ minute wait. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » 01 Sep 2010, 10:03

ppietro wrote:No problem. Here you go :D :

funny guy lol

seriously speaking, is it possible to set up Evolution to wer i can see my sent and recieve emails on Evolution Mail Client ON my yahoo mail box?
that way i dont need to go everytime to Evolution, i can just easily read mail on my yahoo?
u might say, "y dont i just use yahoo mail instead of Evolution?"
I use Evolution so that i can easily compose email by clicking email adress, instead of copy and paste email address then compose it on yahoo

and is ther istructions to set up Deluge properly? those screenshots would be good or easy steps

Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 01 Sep 2010, 16:48

Nobody wrote:
ppietro wrote:No problem. Here you go :D :

funny guy lol

seriously speaking, is it possible to set up Evolution to wer i can see my sent and recieve emails on Evolution Mail Client ON my yahoo mail box?

I have no idea - I don't use Evolution. I'm guessing billb doesn't either. That's why we're suggesting using the search engines (Google, Bing, etc.) for help, since nobody else seems to be chiming in with ideas here either.

As for your other question, I'm extremely wary of using bittorrent applications like Frostwire or Deluge. I don't use either of them - or any other bittorrent application. I had worked out the Frostwire install steps for that one thread since folks had Java questions, and I'm a Java programmer. I uninstalled it after that - although after you asked, I re-installed it to verify my procedure.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » 18 Sep 2010, 09:08

PAULI'm a Java programmer

as a java programmer, can u tell me wut java can do for my ps3 ydl 6.2?

Nobody were can i download good legal torrents?

was it wrong to ask for LEGAL advice?
Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 18 Sep 2010, 09:59

Nobody wrote:
PAULI'm a Java programmer

as a java programmer, can u tell me wut java can do for my ps3 ydl 6.2?

That's a really tough question to answer. You can do anything you want with Java - it's a programming language - like C or BASIC. It has an added ability of "write once - run anywhere" - unlike other languages, you don't need to recompile Java to run it on other processors.

So - Java code I write on my PC with an Intel processor, I can run without modification on my PS3 with a PowerPC processor.

Java gains this ability at the expense of speed. Java code can't be "run" directly - you have to use an intermediate program called a Java Virtual Machine - aka JVM. When you download IBM's Java - the main thing we're interested in is IBM's JVM. We use that in place of YDL's GNU open source JVM called GIJ.

The other thing about Java is its memory footprint. Sometimes, for reasons too complex to go into here (i.e. garbage collection), Java programs can get kinda large. That's an issue with systems with limited RAM - like the 256 Megs of the PS3.

Nobody wrote:
Nobody were can i download good legal torrents?

was it wrong to ask for LEGAL advice?

Yes - in this case. Your full question was:
Nobody wrote:question: were can i download good legal torrents? im trying to download this movie "dragon ball z movie 10 broly return"(in japanese audio with english subtitles)

Basically, you were asking where to obtain a torrent of a copyrighted movie that expressly forbids copying and torrenting. In other words - an ILLEGAL activity.

As we've mentioned before - we are prevented from even mentioning these things on our forums. You really went over the line by even bringing up the subject, and stating your intention, let alone asking the question.

AGAIN - TO BE CLEAR:
This board is not allowed to discuss ANYTHING related to copyright infringement. Forum members who continually violate this rule will be subject to banning and deletion from this forum.

This is not by choice. We have to do this because we're based in the US, and we fall under the jurisdiction of a law called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Not only are copyright infringers subject to punishment under this law, but the ISPs and bulletin boards that would facilitate this infringement can be punished as well.

You can read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mi ... yright_Act

Specifically, the Safe Harbor provisions here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Cop ... g_Material

To qualify for the § 512(c) safe harbor, the OSP must not have actual knowledge that it is hosting infringing material or be aware of facts or circumstances from which infringing activity is apparent.

So - please - don't ask any further questions about this - and move on. billb & I do not like "wielding the ban hammer" at all. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 22 Sep 2010, 01:05

Nobody wrote:I really need help.

i want my send and receive email from Evolution APPEAR on my yahoo inbox so ill know for sure Evolution Mail works
i need a walk through set up for my ydl mail evolution client

Hi Nobody, it appears that there are three distinct problems operating here.

• What you are reporting is different from what you believe you are complaining about. As your intended complaint is unclear the reader of your complaint will make a "best guess" effort regarding what they believe you intended to convey -- not what you actually intended to communicate. The result for you is of course, frustration. Keep in mind that we are communicating via what is written and rely upon whomever will read what is written to comprehend what we are trying to communicate. This is not an easy process if what is written is imprecise. Advice: Narrow what you write to discrete segments which have very much less ways of becoming misunderstood to signify something else.

• The services yahoo provides on the Internet such a email accessible from any web browser, called webmail, in current common language, is a service available from any computer which uses any browser able to access yahoo's servers. The settings chosen by you as a yahoo user affects how your account at yahoo will receive and "see" incoming mail.

• Evolution, you already understand is an email client which must exist and function within a computer running Linux, which for us is YDL. Evolution can run on Windows and I believe other operating systems, however it's limitation is that it is not designed to function as a Webmail system like Google Mail, Yahoo mail or Hotmail. It is not available anywhere on every computer.

If you want to have Evolution understand how to send email to yahoo, you must provide an email address at yahoo (which means of course you must have an email account with yahoo) and place that yahoo address into an address book within Evolution. Yahoo should then be able to receive as much mail from your Evolution application as often as you care to send one.

Something to consider: Doing the above is not the best way to use either yahoo or Evolution. Instead I recommend something I do all the time. Yahoo, as a webmail service, should be able to allow you import some or all your other webmail accounts into your yahoo account so that these emails are available for you within yahoo at anytime. Then, you can setup your Evolution application to access your one yahoo account with the addition that when Evolution "see's" incoming mail from yahoo but that incoming mail is addressed to nobody@supermail.com or nobody@mymail.net Evolution should be set up by you so that within Evolution there are subfolders within the Evolution Inbox so that when mail from supermail.com or mymail.net arrives Evolution itself will sort and distribute that incoming mail into Folders called Supermail or Mymail within the Evolution Inbox.
What you choose to do of course, is up to you.

Of course you do understand that to have success within IT or the computer field, clear and precise analytical execution and definition is a must. It is also however a skill which can be learned with a great amount of practice until it becomes as natural as breathing. You will have to research for yourself how any webmail service or even Evolution can be made to behave as I've described. If you find Evolution too slow there are many other email applications within Linux you can install within YDL the problem however will remain in the sense of getting that email application, say Thunderbird to behave for you in a similar way that Evolution would as far as accepting and sorting multiple emails from multiple webmail accounts. Remember there is also the added problem of sorting out viruses, junk mail, etc. -- no two email programs behave the same.

So you've some challenges to consider. I'll not bother you further with the obvious.

Good luck and enjoy the challenges you confront.

All the best ...

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Playstation 3