programs not in ps3bodega repo

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

programs not in ps3bodega repo

Postby mchristopher26 » 07 Sep 2010, 18:49

billb i have a question, you mentioned a while back about all the programs etc from EPEL repo and fedora extras were in the ps3bodega repo.but i was quite surprised there were actually a lot that were not.i did decide to just go back to 6.2 its so much better and faster but i did have to use many third party repos to get most of the programs alot of programs that worked in other repos did not make it to the ps3 bodega im just mentioning this to you because you mentioned to me to let you know so that you would see about adding them to the bodega. here are just a few that i use the i have to get from other repos like livna, fedora extras, and epel:

gtk-recordmydesktop
xvidcap
Istanbul
Avidemux
audacity .....im dont remember if it was in bodega or not
torsmo
audacious .....im dont remember if it was in bodega or not
Amarok
transmission
clamav ...i believe

i may be wrong on a few but those are some that were not in the 3 yellowdog and bodega repos.and they al work fine.
mchristopher26
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: programs not in ps3bodega repo

Postby ppietro » 07 Sep 2010, 22:44

mchristopher26 wrote:billb i have a question, you mentioned a while back about all the programs etc from EPEL repo and fedora extras were in the ps3bodega repo.

Actually - I believe that the EPEL repo - for 6.2 only - is now in yellowdog-extras, not ps3bodega. (billb - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 08 Sep 2010, 02:33

ppietro wrote:Actually - I believe that the EPEL repo - for 6.2 only - is now in yellowdog-extras, not ps3bodega. (billb - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Right, or at least most of it ... from what I understand some things that didn't work out were removed.

mchristopher26 wrote:billb i have a question, you mentioned a while back about all the programs etc from EPEL repo and fedora extras were in the ps3bodega repo.but i was quite surprised there were actually a lot that were not.i did decide to just go back to 6.2 its so much better and faster but i did have to use many third party repos to get most of the programs alot of programs that worked in other repos did not make it to the ps3 bodega im just mentioning this to you because you mentioned to me to let you know so that you would see about adding them to the bodega. here are just a few that i use the i have to get from other repos like livna, fedora extras, and epel:

Thanks for the list ...

gtk-recordmydesktop
xvidcap
Istanbul
Avidemux

Will have to look into those...

audacity .....im dont remember if it was in bodega or not

Should be easy to add.

torsmo

Never tried it ... a system monitor? You might want to try gkrellm

audacious .....im dont remember if it was in bodega or not
Amarok

How many audio players do you need?? :P

transmission
clamav ...i believe

Those two are In yellowdog-extras.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mchristopher26 » 08 Sep 2010, 18:49

LOL :lol: amarok well i just like the interface.some people just like different programs to choose from LOL.

gkrellm.... how light is it ? cause torsmo is super light . i have tried other system monitors and they are not that light on the system. i like my programs light becuase im trying to get my system as fast as possible and so far on average im running between 24-38 %. which before i was doing around 45 % plus.anyways thats off topic.

and transmission and clamav i believe they are in the repos but i dont believe there the latest versions but i might be wrong.

and about EPEL. i always thought it was for 6.1 :lol: i used it nonstop and it worked fine 97 % of the time. but the livna repo had a lot that the yellowdog and bodega repo didnt have.
mchristopher26
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 08 Sep 2010, 19:59

mchristopher26 wrote:gkrellm.... how light is it ? cause torsmo is super light . i have tried other system monitors and they are not that light on the system. i like my programs light becuase im trying to get my system as fast as possible and so far on average im running between 24-38 %. which before i was doing around 45 % plus.anyways thats off topic.

I don't know... I don't recall having any trouble with gkrellm taking up too much resources, but I haven't compared it to torsmo (or even used torsmo).

and transmission and clamav i believe they are in the repos but i dont believe there the latest versions but i might be wrong.

Right -- and they won't be updated since YDL 6.2 is no longer officially supported (and what good is an antivirus if it isn't updated?). In fact, nothing in yellowdog-base, yellowdog-extras, yellowdog-updates, livna for fc6, fedora extras for fc6, or dribble will be updated again, either. I'm not sure of the status of EPEL -- haven't checked it lately.

and about EPEL. i always thought it was for 6.1 :lol: i used it nonstop and it worked fine 97 % of the time. but the livna repo had a lot that the yellowdog and bodega repo didnt have.

I used it a bit back on YDL 6.1 as well, but technically it's not for any version of YDL. :wink: Re: livna, I don't see how it could have had much, if anything, more than ps3bodega for YDL 6.1 did -- I basically copied everything from livna over to ps3bodega for YDL 6.1 with the exception of some opengl-based stuff that wouldn't work on the PS3.

Anyway, I'll look into adding some of these things if possible.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3