ps3 application development

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

ps3 application development

Postby arivazhagan.gv » 30 Sep 2010, 10:47

Hi everybody,how can we develop ps3 applications with yellw dog linux on ps3.what tools are needed for that,can anyone clarify this elaborately.

thanks
arivazhagan.gv
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: ps3 application development

Postby ppietro » 01 Oct 2010, 00:16

arivazhagan.gv wrote:Hi everybody,how can we develop ps3 applications with yellw dog linux on ps3.what tools are needed for that,can anyone clarify this elaborately.

Before we can answer you, we'll need you to clarify your question, since your question may involve one of these three possibilities:

1. You want to develop standard Linux applications on the PS3.
2. You want to develop PS3 specific Linux applications with the Cell processor on the PS3.
3. You want to develop GameOS applications on the PS3.

-----------------

For number 1 above, YDL supports the standard Linux development tools (i.e. gcc, make, ./configure, ld, etc.). Take your Linux source code, and just build it. Any guide to Linux code development will work - either on-line, or via a textbook, etc.

There's a good guide on how to set up your basic Linux build environment here:
HOWTO: Compiling, step by step.

NOTE: If you're building from other people's source code, you'll have to make sure it's either platform agnostic or supports the Power PC as a target platform. Linux runs on a PowerPC core (called the PPE) in the Cell processor of the PS3, not on an x86 Intel processor like most PCs use.

-----------------

For number 2 above, that's a little different. Some folks want to develop applications that are Cell specific and tuned to the PS3. You can do this, but you'll need to install some additional software - namely the Cell SDK from IBM. Programming the Cell - the PPE and the 6 SPEs - is beyond the scope of my quick answer here, but various folks around here have done it.

There is a caveat about this - the PS3's GPU - the RSX - is locked out by the hypervisor. What this means is that you can't access any 3D or 2D hardware video acceleration. Linux can only use a simple bitmapped (i.e. framebuffer) display. So - you really can't program the full PS3 from Linux - instead, it's more like a Cell development kit.

-----------------

Finally - for number 3 - well - that's kinda unknown right now. From what I can tell, the folks trying homebrew PS3 development are using x86-to-ps3 cross-compilers, not compiling natively on the PS3 itself. Currently, there is no way for YDL to bypass the hypervisor and access the GameOS. That kind of programming is probably beyond the scope of this forum.

We are trying to keep up with some of those developments here:
OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

ps3 application (or) games development

Postby arivazhagan.gv » 01 Oct 2010, 05:49

Hi everybody,can anyone tell can we develop ps3 application (or) games in windows platform,if so what tools needed for that,is there any free sdk available for that,please clarify this elaborately.

[MOD EDIT: We don't allow double posting of questions on our forums. I've moved this post back into your original post. -Paul]
arivazhagan.gv
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Oct 2010, 20:18

Along those lines, a description of the cross-compiling toolchain was posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7266&start=465#p39805

Those instructions are for Linux - I'm not sure about using Windows for this. That's about all the information we have here. The site referenced in that link may have more information.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 02 Oct 2010, 09:06

Upon further reflection, there's one more option.

4. You're a professional developer wanting to develop an official PS3 game.

In that case, you'll need to get a PS3 developer's kit. These are obtained directly from Sony.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3