Don't have login screen

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Don't have login screen

Postby Nobody » 19 Oct 2010, 07:21

[MODERATOR EDIT: New question, new topic - unless it's a follow-up question. The official rule is "no topic piggybacking." Split off as a new topic for you.]

OK. I ALWAYS HAD THIS PROBLEM EVER SINCE I INSTALED YDL.

FIRST, I DONY HAVE A PROPER LOG IN SCREEN. WUT I MEAN IS, YOU KNOW HOW EVERY TIME U START YDL U HAVE TO INPUT YOUR USER NAME AND PASSWORD? WELL, I DONT HAVE THAT. I HAVE TO INPUT MY USER NAME AND PASSWORD IN THE SAME KINE PLACE/LOOK LIKE THE KBOOT SCREEN.
INSTEAD OF JUS INPUTN DOWN MY USERNAME AND PASSWORD, I HAVE TO PUT N MY USERNAME AND PASSWORD FOLLOWED BY Xautoconfig and startx

im using a standard television.

and how can i change sessions?
NEED TO:2make ydl 6 like ps3webbrowser,but wit more computer capabilities. HELP IS NEEDED

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux ppc64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020516 YellowDog/3.0.6-1.ydl6.1 Firefox/3.0.6
Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: Don't have login screen

Postby ppietro » 19 Oct 2010, 08:27

Nobody wrote:im using a standard television.

Since standard televisions force you to do a text install, the YDL installation does not complete. You need to finish the installation to get the login screen. Instructions on how to do that are here:

http://www.ydl.net/support/solutions/yd ... to-5.shtml

NOTE: I would skip step 5. I think if you can already use startx, you shouldn't do step 5. Also - step 5 is tricky, and if you're not careful, you can render your PS3 unbootable.

Once you get to the login screen, you should be able to select different sessions.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » 19 Oct 2010, 23:13

ppietro wrote:Since standard televisions force you to do a text install, the YDL installation does not complete. You need to finish the installation to get the login screen. Instructions on how to do that are here:

http://www.ydl.net/support/solutions/yd ... to-5.shtml

NOTE: I would skip step 5. I think if you can already use startx, you shouldn't do step 5. Also - step 5 is tricky, and if you're not careful, you can render your PS3 unbootable.

Once you get to the login screen, you should be able to select different sessions.

Cheers,
Paul

is ther a way to swich to low grafic resolution from the terminal? or a easy/safer way?
if not, by followin instruction givin by ydl support, would i be able to still have all my saved data, or will it erase every thing saved on my ydl/
NEED TO:2make ydl 6 like ps3webbrowser,but wit more computer capabilities. HELP IS NEEDED

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux ppc64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020516 YellowDog/3.0.6-1.ydl6.1 Firefox/3.0.6
Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 20 Oct 2010, 00:00

Nobody wrote:is ther a way to swich to low grafic resolution from the terminal? or a easy/safer way?
if not, by followin instruction givin by ydl support, would i be able to still have all my saved data, or will it erase every thing saved on my ydl/

Here's the way it works.

When you start PS3 Linux, it sets a video mode as part of the kboot: prompt. You can edit this kboot: mode in the file /etc/yaboot.conf

Since you can get to your desktop with startx, this means that the PS3's video mode is set correctly at kboot:

Hence, there's no need for step 5.

Editing yaboot.conf is tricky. If you just copy and paste step 5 from the YDL guide, I can almost guarantee your system will not boot. You need to replace the {YOUR VIDEO MODE} with the actual video mode you need to use. Also - the root=LABEL=/1 may not be the same on your system depending on how the hard disk is formatted; if you copy and paste that root= parameter in, and your LABEL is different - your system won't find the boot volume.

Hence - I recommend not editing /etc/yaboot.conf unless you need to, or feel comfortable recovering your system.

If you follow YDL's instructions, omitting step 5, and something goes wrong, your data will not be erased. Instead, just the video screen will be messed up. Luckily, if it is, you can get back to a text mode by using Ctrl-Alt-F1 from the messed up screen, and fixing it from there.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » 26 Oct 2010, 11:20

Can you please give me step by step information on doind this please
i always get paraz when im told sumthin 4do and it has a warning, like how u said its mess up video.
so for insurance, can u please tell me exact how to do this(in lamers term).

at ydl.net provided by u, im lost at steps 3 and 4

Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 26 Oct 2010, 11:53

This is pretty much the same thing but includes instructions for editing files:

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... 19&start=0
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » 27 Oct 2010, 13:29

billb wrote:This is pretty much the same thing but includes instructions for editing files:

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... 19&start=0

by doing this and following the instructions, could i have my login scrween lookin like this?---->look at screenshot

I DONT REALLY KNOW THAT ITL LOOK LIKE THIS BUT IM HOPING IT WILL.by this way i can finaly change my "sessions"

Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 27 Oct 2010, 17:37

Yes.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3