Wine on PPC YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Wine on PPC YDL 6.1

Postby Firestorm2004 » 02 Nov 2010, 01:27

I've done a lot of research across many different boards and topics, trying to find a way of using Wine on a PPC processor. I know, natively, this isn't possible, but there have been some interesting breakthroughs that are heading towards allowing it. I'm not a linux programmer, but I do have programming experience, on windows. So, I finally decided to play around with the different ideas, and see if I could get it working.

I've semi-succeeded.

But, now I'm stuck, so I thought I'd post this to see if anyone can take what I've done, and go farther.

So, I did the following:
1. the Linux image from the Qemu website: http://wiki.qemu.org/Download
2. Get and install the latest Qemu rpm or build it from scratch. You will need to have the qemu-i386 option available, though.
3. download the following rpms (you'll need to search for them. I recommend using http://rpm.pbone.net/:
ash-0.3.8-8.i386.rpm
bash-2.05b-20.i386.rpm
compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.118.i386.rpm
coreutils-4.5.3-19.i386.rpm
glib-1.2.10-10.i386.rpm
glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm
gtk+-1.2.10-25.i386.rpm
libgcc-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm
libjpeg-6b-26.i386.rpm
libstdc++-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm
libtermcap-2.0.8-35.i386.rpm
libungif-4.1.0-15.i386.rpm
XFree86-4.3.0-2.i386.rpm
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2.90.55.i386.rpm
zlib-1.1.4-8.i386.rpm
latest wine-*-.i386.rpm

4. extract the image file from the bz2, and then mount it.
5. copy everything to a folder on the hard drive (I chose /usr/qemu-i386)
6. unmount the image.
7. copy/move the downloaded rpms into the root directory of where you copied the image contents. (i.e. /usr/qemu-i386)
8. use the command "rpm2cpio ash-0.3.8-8.i386.rpm | cpio -idv" to extract the rpms. replace the "ash" part with the name of the rpm. (note: If you don't already know, you don't have to type the whole name, just begin it, and hit tab, most of the time, it'll input the rest of the file name - but only if it's unique. If it isn't, it'll give you what is the same between the files only.)
9. You'll need to edit parts of the wine scripts located in the /usr/bin directory under your new root area. (i.e. /usr/qemu-i386/usr/bin). Make sure the paths located in the files are updated to show the new path (i.e. change /usr/share/lib/wine to /usr/qemu-i386/usr/share/lib/wine). There are several scripts you'll need to do so with, but majority of them are the same file, so you won't have to change all of them.
10. type the following into the terminal, under root. You must have root permissions to do this part:
Code: Select all
echo ':i386:M::\x7fELF\x01\x01\x01\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x02\x00\x03\x00:\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xfe\xfe\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xfe\xff\xff\xff:/usr/bin/qemu-i386:' > /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

11. Now, you should be able to test if wine works. under the terminal, type :
/usr/qemu-i386/usr/bin/winelauncher
. Replace "/usr/qemu-i386" with where you installed the files.
12. You should be able to launch the wine dialog. Here's what mine looks like:

Unfortunately, this is as far as I can get. No matter what I do, it when I tell it to launch an .exe, it goes to this,

Thirty seconds later, the launcher windows disappears, and I have:

I have to use "control-shift-c" to break out of it, and end wine running, which does this:

So, can anyone help? I'm almost at my wit's end. Thanks.
Firestorm2004
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Wine on PPC YDL 6.1

Postby ppietro » 02 Nov 2010, 02:05

I'm not sure if this is exactly helpful or not, but we did have some discussions about Wine here, as part of our QEMU binfmt discussion.

The part that might be applicable to you started here:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopi ... =15#p25372

It did look like some folks got Wine running.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Firestorm2004 » 02 Nov 2010, 02:13

It's where i got some of the information I used from. However, I couldn't see where they got farther than I did. So, I'm hoping someone else can, since I did add a few new things, they didn't do.
Firestorm2004
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jaybps3 » 02 Nov 2010, 16:10

Ok well it has been a long while since I have played with the wine running under qemu, I did get it to work and got notepad working but I couldnt get much software to complete the installation it would start launching and then fail.

If I remember correctly to get it working I went through 12-15 different glibc and glib libraries as well as versions of wine to get one to fully work. Once I found a working combination of those 3 libraries plus the rest of the libraries you listed and got in the other topic. I got wine to properly load under qemu, However it would fail for various different reasons and I would have to fetch the libraries that was missing or incorrect, It took me several hrs to hunt down all the library errors. I ended up having to create a lot of links to various files to get it working also. You can get a few versions of wine to launch with a few different glib and glibc libraries but just because you get the green launcher box to open doesnt mean wine is actually working.

Here is something that may help you, Use the command line to launch wine and look for the errors it produces, These will need to be solved, You will solve an error it will go a little further and another error will accur solve it, Repeat until you get the wordpad.exe to launch and open.

To get it to throw you the correct errors you need to try launching an .exe file using one of the 2 commands below once you use this command it will actually try to do something, That is assuming your glibc glib libraries are compatible with the specific version of wine, They are not all compatible and work, Even though many will pop up the box in your picture above.

/usr/qemu-i386/usr/bin/winelauncher /path/to/.exe file
/usr/qemu-i386/usr/bin/wine
/usr/qemu-i386/usr/bin/wine /path/to/.exe file

One of the above codes will produce errors in your command prompt allowing you to see whats causing the failure once you figure out all the errors get the right libraries and make the right links to your C: drive etc, you will get it to work.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Playstation 3