Can't install OtherOS

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Can't install OtherOS

Postby GaryW » 05 Nov 2010, 03:38

[MODERATOR EDIT: Sorry - we don't allow topic piggybacking here on our forums. This is a new question - needs a new post. I split this off and retitled for you. -Paul]

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum; this is my first post. Believe me, I've tried researching this issue for the last two days before deciding to throw in the towel to ask, what I fear may be, a question already answered by y'all.

I want to install YDL 6.2 on my PS3. My software version is 3.15. However, I do not see any 'other os' installation option when scrolling through the system settings. I see a format utility, which does not have a 'custom' option....it directly brings me to a choice to either 'quick' or 'full' format my ps3. That's it.

All the topics I've read suggest that, since I have 3.15, I should be seeing an otherOS option.

I did a backup of my ps3 and 'restored' my ps3 to its original settings hoping this would present me with the 'otherOS' option, but this did not work. All the specs and issues are the same as before.

What annoys me is that I have had the ps3 for about 9 months now, and have refused all updates b/c I wanted to install YDL. Now, when I finally get off my a## to do it, it seems I cannot.

Any suggestions why I'm not seeing the otherOS option? Any solutions to get this option re-displayed for me, since I still have 3.15?

If this helps, when I clicked on the 'online user's manual' in the ps3, it directed me to a "3.50" manual. Now I'm not sure if the ps3 is savy enough to link you to the appropriate manual that matches your system, or it it dumps you on the latest, issued manual.

Thanks everybody in advance for your advice,

Gary
GaryW
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Can't install OtherOS

Postby ppietro » 05 Nov 2010, 04:05

GaryW wrote:I have had the ps3 for about 9 months now,

Any suggestions why I'm not seeing the otherOS option?

Hi Gary,

It sounds like you might have a PS3 "slim" model. This is the smaller, more energy efficient PS3 that was released after the original "phat" PS3s.

Unfortunately, the PS3 slim does not support OtherOS. This was not removed by firmware updates like the phat - it was never available on the slim.

If you really want to run PS3 Linux, you'll have to find a PS3 Phat. You might also check out the work here

http://marcansoft.com/blog/2010/10/asbe ... as-gameos/

and here

http://twitter.com/marcan42

for marcan's operating system AsbestOS that doesn't require OtherOS support, and appears to work on slims or phats.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't install OtherOS

Postby GaryW » 07 Nov 2010, 02:56

Thanks Paul,

You are right; I checked my model number (cech-2001a) in google, and hits suggest I have the slim model.

Sorry for "piggybacking" this topic earlier, and thanks for all your input.

Cheers,

Gary
GaryW
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3