PS3 Bluray ISO Mounting

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

PS3 Bluray ISO Mounting

Postby westie69 » 07 Dec 2010, 23:21

I have just downgraded a ps3 to the firmware that supports OtherOS and in the process of installing a linux distro
(well i will do when the download finishes)

im not shore if i have made the best choice but ive gone for
yellow dog 6.2

What im trying to achive is what i can do on my pc
(mounting and playing bluray iso) on the pc i use demon tools and power dvd

is there an equivelent way on linux and would it output the HD audio over the HDMI ie DTS HD and DD HD?
westie69
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: PS3 Bluray ISO Mounting

Postby ppietro » 08 Dec 2010, 01:52

westie69 wrote:What im trying to achive is what i can do on my pc
(mounting and playing bluray iso)

Not with the internal drive, no. The hypervisor locks out playback of encrypted Blu-ray and DVD discs on the internal drive.

This limitation is not specific to YDL, BTW. It is part of OtherOS - all of the other PS3 Linuxes share the same limitation.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby westie69 » 08 Dec 2010, 08:16

it isnt an encrypted Blu-ray (As far as i know) i used XXXXXXX and imgburn to make a full un-encrypted backup of a bluray disk shorely it could mount that file structure?
westie69
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 08 Dec 2010, 11:19

westie69 wrote:it isnt an encrypted Blu-ray (As far as i know) i used XXXXXXX and imgburn to make a full un-encrypted backup of a bluray disk shorely it could mount that file structure?

Sorry - I was in a hurry when I first read this post. I thought you just wanted to play a regular Blu-ray disc - which clearly isn't what you asked. Mea culpa.

And - now that I understand what you're asking - here's where we have to stop discussing this. :(

This forum (YDL/Fixstars/TerraSoft) is located in the United States and, as such, is subject to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Any discussions about piracy or methods to circumvent copyright are not allowed on our forums, per US law.

Tangential to your question, I will mention that the hypervisor also prevents Linux access to the nVidia RSX GPU. This means that no 2D or 3D accelerated video is available. Instead, only a simple CPU driven framebuffer display is provided. When you factor in the CPU time it takes to decode video and add that to the CPU time it takes to drive the framebuffer display, this functionally limits you to videos of about 720x480 pixels.

Standard HD video - 720p, 1080i, 1080p - have proven impractical for PS3 Linux. Again - this is not a YDL limitation - this is an OtherOS limitation that affects all PS3 Linuxes.

Locking this thread to further posts.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3