Frostwire 4.13.5 problems

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Frostwire 4.13.5 problems

Postby CronoCloud » 20 Dec 2010, 22:38

andyst32 wrote:
I've been offered a cheap Dell Optiplex 330 PC so may end up having to update the firmware so I can get playing GT5!

I updated my firmware when I got a cheap x86 box as well.

One last question, if I continue with Linux once I get a PC should I go for Fedora and is it similar to YDL?

You'll have to choose the distro that's best for you, but yes, Fedora is quite a bit like YDL. They're enough alike that I didn't have much trouble in the transition from YDL to Fedora.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby ppietro » 21 Dec 2010, 08:35

andyst32 wrote:I've been offered a cheap Dell Optiplex 330 PC so may end up having to update the firmware so I can get playing GT5!

Heh - if it were me, I'd skip the Dell and use the money to get a used PS3 slim to play GT5. Then, you could keep the firmware on your phat the same, and keep running YDL. That's probably just me though. :D

andyst32 wrote:One last question, if I continue with Linux once I get a PC should I go for Fedora and is it similar to YDL?

Here's the quick rundown. YDL is actually based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (via the CentOS open source re-compile). Fedora is also sponsored by the Red Hat corporation. However - Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) generally runs about 3 versions behind current versions of Fedora.

I wrote an excellent summary of the differences between Fedora and RHEL here. Not to brag, but you should read this:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3684&p=16307#p16307

In addition, there's a history of the version differences here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_En ... tributions

In summary - yes - Fedora should be fine for you to run. It will be like YDL, but more up-to-date. If you want an environment similar to YDL, try the open source RHEL derivatives; I give the edge to CentOS, but Scientific Linux is an excellent distro.

Also - if you get a 64-bit x86 computer, don't forget YDL for CUDA. You don't necessarily need an nVidia card to run it - and it's free as well. It's basically YDL 6.2.1 - so you'll find it a pretty comfortable fit if you're used to YDL 6.2.

I run it all the time on an x86-64 virtual box with the generic X11 drivers and I don't have any issues with it. You can find the download here:

http://ydl.net/ydl_cuda/downloads.shtml

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andyst32 » 21 Dec 2010, 10:39

Hi Paul, thanks again for your helpful advice. I'm thinking maybe Red Hat as I like the application manager under Yellow Dog and have a somewhat limited understanding but feel comfortable using YDL. Fedora sounds too new and likely to have too many bugs for me as I want something that runs out of the box.

Someone mentioned Ubuntu and having had a look around I might try a couple of Live CD's and see which I prefer.

I like the idea of getting a slim however the Dell is costing me £100 so a much cheaper option.

At the moment with the weather I'm waiting to see what happens so still enjoying YDL 6 on my phat.
andyst32
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Dec 2010, 19:59

andyst32 wrote:Hi Paul, thanks again for your helpful advice. I'm thinking maybe Red Hat as I like the application manager under Yellow Dog and have a somewhat limited understanding but feel comfortable using YDL. Fedora sounds too new and likely to have too many bugs for me as I want something that runs out of the box.

Just remember - Red Hat costs money. A fair amount actually. And Fedora uses the same application manager system. Fedora doesn't have that many bugs - it's more that it changes too often for Enterprise computer use.

andyst32 wrote:Someone mentioned Ubuntu and having had a look around I might try a couple of Live CD's and see which I prefer.

Another quick lesson. :D

In the early days, Linux was primarily for hobbyists. This meant that most folks compiled their own programs from source code. Eventually, people realized they needed a way of distributing pre-compiled programs. Three major distributions came up with mostly incompatible solutions at about the same time: Red Hat, Debian & Slackware.

Ubuntu is based on Debian. Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora & YDL are all based on Red Hat.

You may find that even though Ubuntu is Linux, it's different enough from YDL/Fedora/Red Hat to make it annoying.

That's been my experience anyway. :D

As an example: Red Hat uses .RPM files to install programs. We use YUM to automate installation of RPMs, by collecting them in repositories on servers. Debian uses .DEB to install programs. It uses APT-GET to automate installation of DEBs by collecting them in repositories on servers. For the most part, DEB & RPM files aren't compatible.

(Just to finish the thought, SuSE Linux is derived from Slackware, although it's been incorporating many Red Hat features lately. And, Gentoo Linux isn't based on any of them - they actually are closer to the original hobbyist spirit of Linux - you compile everything from source code packages collected in their Portage system.)

andyst32 wrote:I like the idea of getting a slim however the Dell is costing me £100 so a much cheaper option.

Yeah - that's the weird thing about PS3 pricing. In the U.S., they're about $299 dollars new - which is about £193 or so. I think they're something like £299 new in the UK. It's like Sony decided that 299 would be the price, regardless of the currency.

andyst32 wrote:At the moment with the weather I'm waiting to see what happens so still enjoying YDL 6 on my phat.

I heard about the cold snap you're having over there. Those can be rough - in Seattle, where I live, we got an unexpected cold snap in November - it paralyzed the city for 4 days or so. Stay warm! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andyst32 » 30 Dec 2010, 12:05

Paul, thanks once again and I think after your quick history lesson Fedora may be the way to go.

The PC hasn't turned up yet as my friend couldn't go to collect so it may not be happening.

Yes Sony are harsh for making it a rather uneven pricing structure!

Hope everyone here had a great Xmas and I'm still on my 3.15 firmware and YDL at present.
andyst32
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Previous

Return to Playstation 3