Frostwire 4.13.5 problems

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Frostwire 4.13.5 problems

Postby andyst32 » 12 Dec 2010, 12:47

I recently installed YDL 6.2 from YDL 5 but am having serious problems.

I cant get Frostwire to connect to Gnutella port 6346 is all it keeps flashing up in a warning box!

I've tried the network manager and security firewalls and port forwarding but no joy. I don't have a router.

How do I assign a static IP address in YDL6.2?

I had everything working fine in YDL 5 and am tearing my hair out so would appreciate any help.
andyst32
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Frostwire 4.13.5 problems

Postby ppietro » 13 Dec 2010, 09:50

andyst32 wrote:I recently installed YDL 6.2 from YDL 5 but am having serious problems.

I cant get Frostwire to connect to Gnutella port 6346 is all it keeps flashing up in a warning box!

I've tried the network manager and security firewalls and port forwarding but no joy. I don't have a router.

How do I assign a static IP address in YDL6.2?

I had everything working fine in YDL 5 and am tearing my hair out so would appreciate any help.

Before we go there, have you configured Frostwire to use port 6346? From what I remember, it uses random ports after you install it.

Although you've probably done this, I do describe how to set these ports in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3091&p=12117#p12117

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andyst32 » 13 Dec 2010, 10:28

Hi Paul, thanks for replying. Yes, I have tried to set the ports as per your instructions shown under the thread:

4. Set the PS3 firewall to allow TCP and UDP connections on a random, safe port. As an example, I used 9140/TCP and 9140/UDP.
5. Log off as root.

On your firewall/router:
1. Assign your PS3 a "Static DHCP" address if you're using DHCP. If your PS3 uses a Static IP address, skip to the next step.
- how do I tell if I have a Static IP or DHCP address ?
If your PS3's IP address is something like 192.168.0.3, that's most likely a DHCP address. The issue is that your router will randomly assign addresses to your PS3 - you want a fixed one so that the next step works every time.

2. Create a Port Forwarding rule on your router that links your router's external IP address to your PS3's IP address for port 9140. Set this for both TCP and UDP

I don't understand this part above. I don't have a router but unless use DHCP and automatically detect settings cant connect to the internet. I've tried checking the statically assign an IP address but lose any connection.

In total beginner terms how do I assign a static address in YDL 6.2 as I've been fiddling with the Network manager software.

I installed WICD to fiddle with my settings but this looks like it will run and then aborts at the last minute even though I did have it working before. Have uninstalled it and reinstalled it but still no joy.

As a normal user:
1. Open a terminal and type "frostwire"
or
1. Select Frostwire from the Gnome menu
2. After Frostwire starts up, select Tools-->Options
3. Go to Advanced --> Firewall Config,
4. Set the "Listen on port" to 9140,
5. Check Manual Port Forward and set that to 9140.
6. Close the Options dialog box

At this point, the globe icon in Frostwire should change from a brick wall to an open globe. You're good to go.

ADDENDUM: The change from the globe icon to brick wall might take a while. A *long* while. Some of the Frostwire/Limewire forums have suggested a 15+ minute wait.

Could it be that I am just too impatient as when I've done this and tried to connect I get dozens of error boxes saying I cant connect to Gnutella Client on port 6346? If I leave it I will have hundreds of these boxe4s and have to log off and back on again!

Do I neet to set the ports and then reboot as I have been logging off and back on again?

What would stop WICD from working?

As an aside I'm also having trouble with the Software Updater if I use Fedora Extras or Dribble repos. I currently have Yellow dog repos and PS3Bodega - would this have any impact?

I'm really confused as had Frostwire working fine under YDL 5.02 so think it's something to do with my firewalls?
andyst32
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 13 Dec 2010, 10:38

andyst32 wrote:
ppietro wrote:1. Assign your PS3 a "Static DHCP" address if you're using DHCP.

I don't understand this part above. I don't have a router but unless use DHCP and automatically detect settings cant connect to the internet. I've tried checking the statically assign an IP address but lose any connection.

Static DHCP is only something you can set on your external Firewall/Router. It's not something you can set on your PS3.

In my case, I log into my D-Link DI-524 Wireless Access Point/Firewall/Router, and, in the DHCP configuration screen, I tell it to give my PS3 the same IP address every time. It does this by looking at the PS3's internal MAC address and matching it to a list.

As far as the PS3 is concerned, you're just using regular DHCP. The PS3 thinks it's getting a random IP address from the Wireless Access Point/Firewall/Router, but it's not - it's pre-determined.

This is good because - in the port forwarding section of the Wireless Access Point/Firewall/Router - I don't have to keep changing the IP address - it's always going to be the number I assigned to the PS3.

To use the static IP address function on the PS3, your internet provider has to assign them to you. You can't just randomly pick them, and expect them to work. If you don't have a block of static addresses - provided to you! - you can't use this feature.

andyst32 wrote:As an aside I'm also having trouble with the Software Updater if I use Fedora Extras or Dribble repos. I currently have Yellow dog repos and PS3Bodega - would this have any impact?

On Frostwire? No. But if you use PS3 Bodega, I believe you shouldn't use Fedora Extras/Dribble/Livna. They're mutually exclusive with 6.2, I think. (billb - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here. :D)

More installation instructions here:
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... f=28&t=555

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andyst32 » 13 Dec 2010, 11:16

So to recap:

I don't need to assign a static IP address as am using regular DHCP?

I've tried configuring under the Secuirty Firewall settings in YDL 6.2 by adding ports: SSDP, 31540, 9140, 6346 to UDP and TCP and then setting the manual port to use in Frostwires Advanced Settings as the same number but no joy!

How do I know which random port to use as when I open Frostwire it says listen on 31540? I thought it was 6346 but not connecting.

Are all the warning boxes about being unable to connect normal as under YDL5 I had none of these but it did take a while to connect? I get a warning box around every second and unless am damn fast with the mouse it prevents me from doing anything one I connect.

Should I set the ports to 6346 ONLY as i currently have around 8 ports enabled under my firewall or does this not matter?

Why is this process so difficult when on YDL5 I just used port 6346 and away I went?

I don't want to revert to YDL5 as most of the mirrors have disappeared so installing software is very tricky!

I haven't edited my bash file but did install the symbiotic link as when I enter the command it says nothing to do.

Could this be my issue even if I'm using a wired connection with no router:

My PS3 is connected Wirelessly to an access point that's also a Firewall & router. When I set up Opera for torrenting, it didn't work at first. I opened up the PS3's firewall to the port Opera requested - but it still didn't work correctly.

Eventually, I figured out it was because the external bittorrent trackers could not reach my PS3 due to NAT (Network Address Translation) issues.

I had to go into my access point/router's settings, and set up NAT and Port Forwarding. D-Link - my AP/router manufacturer - calls this "Virtual Server".

What this does is map ports on the outward facing side of the AP/router to inner addresses. This also sets the AP/router's firewall as well.

So - as an example - I set the AP/router to always assign my PS3 the address 192.168.0.12 via DHCP. Then, I go into Virtual Server, and create a rule that maps Opera's BitTorrent port 18768 from the router's address of 64.236.29.120 to 192.168.0.12.

Viola! Instant Opera happiness!

What this does is send any port 18768 traffic that hits my router at address 63.236.29.120 to my PS3 on the wireless at 192.168.0.12. Opera reported no issues and I could torrent to my heart's content.

I'm thinking that Frostwire may need a similar setup.

Sorry to be a pain but this is driving me mad as all was good on YDL 5.02 does Frostwire work on YDL 6.2?!
andyst32
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby andyst32 » 13 Dec 2010, 16:54

Has anyone got Frostwire 4.13.5 working with YDL6.2 without a router and can you post an idots guide as I've tried following some other posts but to no avail?!
andyst32
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 13 Dec 2010, 20:36

andyst32 wrote:So to recap:

I don't need to assign a static IP address as am using regular DHCP?

Correct.

In fact, you can't use Static IP addresses unless you obtain them from your internet provider. (And - generally - they charge extra for them - mine does.)

andyst32 wrote:I've tried configuring under the Secuirty Firewall settings in YDL 6.2 by adding ports: SSDP, 31540, 9140, 6346 to UDP and TCP and then setting the manual port to use in Frostwires Advanced Settings as the same number but no joy!

How do I know which random port to use as when I open Frostwire it says listen on 31540? I thought it was 6346 but not connecting.

The random port would be 31540. You can change that to any of the numbers above or open 31540 on your PS3's firewall.

andyst32 wrote:Are all the warning boxes about being unable to connect normal as under YDL5 I had none of these but it did take a while to connect? I get a warning box around every second and unless am damn fast with the mouse it prevents me from doing anything one I connect.

No - they're not normal. Although I don't use Frostwire, when I install it on 6.1 to help troubleshoot, I don't see anything like this.

andyst32 wrote:Should I set the ports to 6346 ONLY as i currently have around 8 ports enabled under my firewall or does this not matter?

I think it's safe to assume that 6346 might be blocked by your internet provider. I would try 9140 - I know that works.

andyst32 wrote:Why is this process so difficult when on YDL5 I just used port 6346 and away I went?

I have no idea. It could be that your internet provider is blocking 6346 now. I would try using 9140 across the board.

andyst32 wrote:I don't want to revert to YDL5 as most of the mirrors have disappeared so installing software is very tricky!

I haven't edited my bash file but did install the symbiotic link as when I enter the command it says nothing to do.

When you installed 6.2, did you install a new version of Java as well? You can't use the Java that comes with 6.2, IIRC. You have to install one of the Sun-compliant IBM Javas.

andyst32 wrote:Could this be my issue even if I'm using a wired connection with no router:

Nope.

andyst32 wrote:Sorry to be a pain but this is driving me mad as all was good on YDL 5.02 does Frostwire work on YDL 6.2?!

Yes.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andyst32 » 14 Dec 2010, 09:45

Hi Paul, I installed Java from the bodega repo as per billb's instructions. I've changed my firewall settings in YDL to allow 9140 udp and tcp but still no luck.

I've tried ports 9140 for listening and forwarding in Frostwire but still get the error boxes.

What command do I need to check I have Java installed correctly?

Is there a utility to check my ports are open or can I do this from a terminal window?

When changing Firewall settings do I need to reboot or do the changes apply immediately?

If I can't get this to work then I'm thinking of reverting back to good old YDL 5 as I think YDL 6.2 must be doing something with the firewall or ports that it isn't doing under YDL 5.
andyst32
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 15 Dec 2010, 00:37

andyst32 wrote:Hi Paul, I installed Java from the bodega repo as per billb's instructions. I've changed my firewall settings in YDL to allow 9140 udp and tcp but still no luck.

I've tried ports 9140 for listening and forwarding in Frostwire but still get the error boxes.

What command do I need to check I have Java installed correctly?

Let's check! From a terminal window, please paste the output of these commands in a follow-up post:

which java

java -version

andyst32 wrote:Is there a utility to check my ports are open or can I do this from a terminal window?

The utility you're using to set the ports is how you check.

andyst32 wrote:When changing Firewall settings do I need to reboot or do the changes apply immediately?

Immediately

andyst32 wrote:If I can't get this to work then I'm thinking of reverting back to good old YDL 5 as I think YDL 6.2 must be doing something with the firewall or ports that it isn't doing under YDL 5.

Probably not a great idea. I think you'll find that it won't work under YDL 5 anymore either. :( (That's a guess, though - I have no evidence one way or another.)

To be honest - it sounds like an upstream internet provider issue.

Here's a couple of follow-up questions:

You've mentioned you don't have a router. How are you connecting to the internet then? Are you using a cable modem, DSL or something else?

Also - you've mentioned wicd. Are you connecting wirelessly? If so, the wireless access point might be a router. You may need to manually set port forwarding/NAT on the wireless access point.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hollywoodhorror » 15 Dec 2010, 21:55

Andy, this may be a silly question, but have you placed the latest gnutella.net file in your .frostwire folder? The one that comes with the initial Frostwire install is too old and will not connect to any peers. Here is a link to a forum that lists the updated gnutella.net file for download: http://forum.frostwire.com/viewtopic.php?t=2884 You can then place this file in your .frostwire folder located at home\.frostwire. You want to replace your current gnutella.net file with this new one. Make sure you show hidden files in order to access the .frostwire folder. I had this problem and came to find out that this was the only reason I couldn't get a connection in frostwire. I didn't have to mess with port forwarding or anything, as my router has udp enabled. Hope that is all you need too!
Last edited by hollywoodhorror on 16 Dec 2010, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
hollywoodhorror
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby andyst32 » 16 Dec 2010, 10:04

hollywoodhorror wrote:Andy, this may be a silly question, but have you placed the latest gnutella.net file in your .frostwire folder? The one that comes with the initial Frostwire install is too old and will not connect to any peers. Here is a link to a forum that lists the updated gnutella.net file for download: http://forum.frostwire.com/viewtopic.php?t=2884 You can then place this file in your .frostwire folder located at etc\.frostwire. You want to replace your current gnutella.net file with this new one. Make sure you show hidden files in order to access the .frostwire folder. I had this problem and came to find out that this was the only reason I couldn't get a connection in frostwire. I didn't have to mess with port forwarding or anything, as my router has udp enabled. Hope that is all you need too!

No I haven't actually just used the downloaded files for Frostwire.

Fingers crossed your solution works and I will give it a try later on when I get back from work.
andyst32
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby hollywoodhorror » 16 Dec 2010, 15:54

That may very well fix your issue, I hope it does. Please note that I fixed my previous post. The gnutella.net file is located in your home folder inside the .frostwire folder, not \etc. So simply download the latest gnutella.net file, then open your home folder and show hidden files, then open .frostwire and replace the existing gnutella.net with the updated one. Also, if you are having to use a terminal to run java and then run frostwire, I created a script for myself that I pointed the frostwire shortcut to so that I can just click the frostwire shortcut to launch frostwire. The script simply runs java then launches frostwire, so no terminal is needed. Let me know if you are interested in that. I only use the default enlightenment though, so I would only have instructions for that.
hollywoodhorror
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 16 Dec 2010, 16:51

hollywoodhorror wrote:Also, if you are having to use a terminal to run java and then run frostwire, I created a script for myself that I pointed the frostwire shortcut to so that I can just click the frostwire shortcut to launch frostwire. The script simply runs java then launches frostwire, so no terminal is needed. Let me know if you are interested in that. I only use the default enlightenment though, so I would only have instructions for that.

If you create a symbolic link for IBM's Java in the /usr/local/bin folder, you shouldn't need to use the terminal to start frostwire. /usr/local/bin gets searched before /usr/bin, so that should make IBM's Java the default.

Example syntax for IBM Java 6.0 is in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3091&p=12117#p12117

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hollywoodhorror » 16 Dec 2010, 17:28

Thanks Paul,
I think I followed those instructions or similar ones for the Java install, however the Java I downloaded was 6.0.9.? something like that, so I probably ran the symbolic link for the earlier version. At least now I know what I need to correct.
hollywoodhorror
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby andyst32 » 16 Dec 2010, 20:14

hollywoodhorror wrote:That may very well fix your issue, I hope it does. Please note that I fixed my previous post. The gnutella.net file is located in your home folder inside the .frostwire folder, not \etc. So simply download the latest gnutella.net file, then open your home folder and show hidden files, then open .frostwire and replace the existing gnutella.net with the updated one. Also, if you are having to use a terminal to run java and then run frostwire, I created a script for myself that I pointed the frostwire shortcut to so that I can just click the frostwire shortcut to launch frostwire. The script simply runs java then launches frostwire, so no terminal is needed. Let me know if you are interested in that. I only use the default enlightenment though, so I would only have instructions for that.

Hooray yes it works it was the gnutella.net file! :D

Thanks ever so much for all your help and assistance and I've learned a lot and really enjoyed using YDL thanks to this board. Special thanks to Paul, Bill and Hollywoodhorror for all their help.

I've been offered a cheap Dell Optiplex 330 PC so may end up having to update the firmware so I can get playing GT5!

One last question, if I continue with Linux once I get a PC should I go for Fedora and is it similar to YDL?
andyst32
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Next

Return to Playstation 3