Beyond the Cell

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Beyond the Cell

Postby aguilarojo » 05 Feb 2011, 06:59

At this point there were two major threads discussing similar ideas and concepts which I believed should be integrated or included into this Topic as an initial starting point to consider what may lie ahead.

The two major threads within the YDL Board I'm referring to are:

• New PS3 Slim, without support for OtherOS

• OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

First, a nice article presenting the fact that Sony's decision to remove the OtherOS option affected U.S. Air Force projects funded by Congress!

This next article presents a reasoning exploring IBM's decision to move beyond the Cell while also explaining key plans which are being implemented currently to integrate the PowerPC/Cell lines of technological advances into upcoming Intel and AMD chips.

When the following article was published Quad core systems were rare, it presents some technical details which present some functions which are indicative of PowerPC/Cell technology. The Hex Core laptop by Eurocom (which comes with NO installed operating system) allows anyone to utilize Linux as their choice immediately this also gives a hint of what one should expect to see soon with i9 (6 + cores) based systems becoming available in the Fall. Another hexcore laptop to examine is the DreamBook Power X72 with i7 core and GeForce GTX 480M SLI.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Playstation 3