Linux (AsbestOS *now v1.5*) released for Kmeaw CFW 3.55

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Linux (AsbestOS *now v1.5*) released for Kmeaw CFW 3.55

Postby lernatix » 08 Feb 2011, 13:00

Kmeaw has released AsbestOS v1.2 which enables a proper install without needing a network. Unfortunately it seems to come with a Debian base, is there anyone here with the CFW and the skills to install YDL and post a guide? I like the community and support here and don't really want to go back to Debian. :(

[MODERATOR EDIT: Let's remove this link just in case.... -Paul]

Kmeaw has updated AsbestOS to version 1.2 today.
The new update brings Fat PS3 model support and removes the
requirement for having an Ethernet connection/network install to PC.

To quote from Kmeaw:

kmeaw: latest version is v1.2

kmeaw: it can work without ethernet cable at all

kmeaw: however it still supports ethernet booting for developers
that
would like to experiment with their own kernel builds

How to install:

1. install AsbestOS installer v1 or higher: slim - asbestOS_v1.2_Slim.pkg (3.32 MB)
fat - asbestOS_v1.2_FAT.pkg (3.32 MB)

2. partition a USB disk to have at least one partition (FAT-formatted);

3. Download debian.rar (295.14 MB) unpack linux.img and put it into the root dir of usb disk;

4. run AsbestOS installer;

5. install lv2 patcher v9 or higher: lv2-v9.zip (111.43 KB);

6. attach an ethernet cable, connected to a network with a dhcp-server (just for the initial boot,
it can be a SOHO router - just anything with DHCP); (NO LONGER NECESSARY IN ASBESTOS 1.2+)

7. run lv2 patcher and select "Linux";

8. as you see the fb console with penguins, you can unplug the ethernet cable;
(NO LONGER NECESSARY IN ASBESTOS 1.2+)

9. login: ps3, password: ps3.

If you don't see anything, press Ctrl-Alt-F1, then Alt-F7.

Could it be as easy as replacing the .img in step 3 with a YDL one?
I doubt I'm that lucky. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by lernatix on 12 Feb 2011, 06:55, edited 3 times in total.
: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: Linux (AsbestOS v1.2) released for Kmeaw CFW 3.55

Postby lernatix » 09 Feb 2011, 00:19

Strange update, seems it wont boot from USB on launch models with the card readers. Does work from a Memory Stick Pro, but I don't have one and have no intentions of buying a Sony branded product.
While I wait for a new AsbestOS release, I now need to figure out if/where a YDL .img file exists or if one can be created.
: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby lernatix » 09 Feb 2011, 11:55

Update, AsbestOS 1.3 released. Supposedly auto detects which PS3 model you have and adjusts itself accordingly. Haven't tried it yet, I hope it fixes the issue of needing a Memory Stick Pro for my old launch model.
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby lernatix » 09 Feb 2011, 16:11

Debian up and running on AsbestOS 1.3

Couldn't use my external HDD as the FAT32 partition was second on the list.
All good running from SD card however. But I still want YDL back!
Last edited by lernatix on 11 Feb 2011, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: Linux (AsbestOS *now v1.3*) released for Kmeaw CFW 3.55

Postby bonedome » 11 Feb 2011, 14:21

Hello
let me just get this straight, the whole os is contained on the memory stick/card, like puppy or a live image.
Do you have access to the whole system ?
does it still have to be ppc ?
ydl never came out as a "live cd" or usb install so will need at least some tweeking.
Fedora 12 was the last fedora available with ppc architecture and a live cd was available for that, maybe an f12 iso with ydl inards
Either way linux back on my ps3, sounds good to me :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: Linux (AsbestOS *now v1.3*) released for Kmeaw CFW 3.55

Postby lernatix » 11 Feb 2011, 17:05

Yeah, it's weird. The .img is of an EXISTING install I believe. *Not a live CD*

Doesn't "feel" like it has all the power of YDL, plus your stuck in the 1 or 2 gig limits of the .img file for now.
Seriously, it seems quite gimped. Sound not working, sluggish even on LXDE, I don't think Debian is the best
distro to use but maybe it's this .img file method that makes it seem so bad.

I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge to say much more than I'm not impressed and will probably wait until
Graf_Chokolo finishes his method. But if you want linux now, and can put up with Debian. It's there for the taking.
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: Linux (AsbestOS *now v1.5*) released for Kmeaw CFW 3.55

Postby lernatix » 12 Feb 2011, 06:58

Advancements coming thick and fast as more (skilled) linux users jump on board.

AsbestOS 1.5 allows for Internal drive use for storing the .img file. (untested by me yet)

And there is an Ubuntu .img out there. Which doesn't excite me, Ubuntu is just Debian with more crap on top yeah?

Not sure why I'm posting, looks like everyone has moved on from YDL. Such a shame. :(
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 12 Feb 2011, 15:26

I'm following your posts with interest, but since I'm still using my original PS3 with FW 3.15 there's not much reason for me to participate in all this ... yet. :) My other PS3s will always be kept up to date with the latest FW and I don't want to mess with jailbreaking / custom firmware / etc.

Now start talking about hardware accelerated 2D/3D video complete with drivers ... then I'll be more interested. :wink:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Iguana » 12 Feb 2011, 18:40

lernatix wrote:Ubuntu is just Debian with more crap on top yeah?

Not sure why I'm posting, looks like everyone has moved on from YDL. Such a shame. :(

I did try installing ubuntu 10.4 and 11.4 on my ps3, but I never had any luck.. Then I tried opensuse 11.1 and gentoo, for some reason opensuse was realy slow to use, but the gentoo live cd was decent.. I've never tried fedora..

In the end I like ydl6.2 better than any other distro for the ps3, because with the third party repos there's always something that could be kept up to date.. Another reason why I wouldn't update to 3.5 with absent-os, is because they dont give you an option to install threw the bd drive and I think it only runs off a usb, which doesn't sound so appealing <.<

The only time I will ever update to a cfw, would be if they offered linux to be install threw the bd drive and you can store all your linux stuff on the hdd, not by the use of a usb :?
Basically they need to come up with an easy install of 'iso images' from the bd drive to the hdd, and the linux partition having full 2d/3d access, Or a better way to explain it would be 3.10 with no hypervisor at all.. :D

I think either what I've posted here is best to wait for, a ps3 cfw that unlocks everything, or maybe this from the ps2dev site (he has a nice idea on reverse engineering 3.15 or older fw, but idk) :
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... d748#88728

ps2devman wrote:Hmmm. There are two possible strategies :

1) use fw 3.41, ps1light, etc... on slim and fat ps3, but for websites involved in these researches it may be dangerous because Sony is against that and their lawyers may react in some unexpected way.
I don't think ps2dev.org should take that risk.

2) use fw 2.01 or 3.15 on old fat ps3 (i.e thru legal old 'other os').
It's safer but only a few people were wise enough to keep these old fw versions. Keys for fw 0.80-3.31 have been published. So a battle plan would be to reverse engineer a lot 2.01 and 3.15 to unlock/understand missing RSX related features, etc...

Good things will come out, just need to be patient, I think.
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 12 Feb 2011, 18:45

lernatix wrote:Not sure why I'm posting, looks like everyone has moved on from YDL. Such a shame. :(

No - most of us are still here. :)

billb wrote:I'm following your posts with interest, but since I'm still using my original PS3 with FW 3.15 there's not much reason for me to participate in all this ... yet. :) My other PS3s will always be kept up to date with the latest FW and I don't want to mess with jailbreaking / custom firmware / etc.

This is the situation I'm in as well. At this point, I'm not willing to run custom firmware yet - and I have a PS3 that can still run OtherOS.

I'm actually playing around with YDL for CUDA quite a bit. I'm trying to build the latest Firefox from CentOS SRPMS, and it doesn't work nearly as well as it does on standard YDL. (i.e. it builds, but it won't package...)

Some more answers...

bonedome wrote:does it still have to be ppc ?

Yes, yes it does. The hypervisor is not what makes it a ppc architecture - it's the Cell/B.E. itself. That will never change.

lernatix wrote:Ubuntu is just Debian with more crap on top yeah?

Yup - it's a corporate sponsored version of Debian, if you're feeling cynical. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 12 Feb 2011, 18:55

lernatix wrote:Advancements coming thick and fast as more (skilled) linux users jump on board.

AsbestOS 1.5 allows for Internal drive use for storing the .img file. (untested by me yet)

And there is an Ubuntu .img out there. Which doesn't excite me, Ubuntu is just Debian with more crap on top yeah?

Hey - speaking of YDL, I've been thinking...

Even after you "upgraded" and removed OtherOS, as long as your didn't re-partition/re-format your PS3 hard disc, YDL is still there. According to this post:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7306&p=37944#p37944

The Linux section of the disk is not encrypted, so yes, you can
extract it for backup with dd. If you chose "allocate 10GB for
otherOS", then the Linux data should be the last 0x13ffff8 sectors
of the disk.

You should be able to put your PS3 drive into a PC running Linux, then possibly use the dd command to create an IMG. Full disclosure - I'm not exactly sure how to create an IMG file. This is just an overview of what you might do.

Obviously - we can't send you this on-line since it's 10 gigs. Well - at least I can't - I don't have that kind of bandwidth. But - it's a possible solution.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lernatix » 12 Feb 2011, 21:07

Nice idea, assuming I hadn't replaced my internal drive with a 500gig one.
The old 60gig drive was reformatted for a laptop repair for a family friend.

As for a 10 gig download, I'm fine with it but I'm sure many are not.
I've stopped playing with Debian for now, fingers crossed we can lose
.img file necessity and get .iso or DVD booting back.
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 13 Feb 2011, 04:21

I haven't been here in ages and interested in installing this. Do I first have to install the cfw 3.55??? If so where can I download this and is it same as installing normal fw through a usb disk onto ps3??
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 13 Feb 2011, 08:57

vesh wrote:I haven't been here in ages and interested in installing this. Do I first have to install the cfw 3.55??? If so where can I download this and is it same as installing normal fw through a usb disk onto ps3??

Oops - okay - now we've crossed the line, I'm afraid. We can discuss AsbestOS. We can even discuss the requirements for AsbestOS - a little bit, anyway. But - we have to draw the line at any in-depth discussions of custom firmware - like specific versions or download locations. The use of custom firmware violates Sony copyrights - and since this board is located in the United States - that makes us subject to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

Normally, I'd have to lock the thread at this point, but since there's some pending questions about running YDL under AsbestOS, we'll keep the thread open - as long as we keep it to Linux.

So - consider this a polite warning. Any further questions about custom firmware will not be tolerated and will cause the locking of this thread.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 13 Feb 2011, 10:30

oh ok sorry. I'll have a better question haha

which is the latest asbestOS that can work on fat ps3 and with those steps in the first post, I don't understand which part is done first on a separate computer then which part you switch to the ps3, at what step does this happen??
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Next

Return to Playstation 3