Linux (AsbestOS *now v1.5*) released for Kmeaw CFW 3.55

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Linux (AsbestOS *now v1.5*) released for Kmeaw CFW 3.55

Postby lernatix » 14 Feb 2011, 12:36

billb wrote:I'm still using my original PS3 with FW 3.15 there's not much reason for me to participate in all this ... yet.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest 'downgrading' from 3.15 unless you have some MUST PLAY games. 3.15 YDL is still better at this point.

vesh wrote:which is the latest asbestOS that can work on fat ps3 and with those steps in the first post, I don't understand which part is done first on a separate computer then which part you switch to the ps3, at what step does this happen??

Last check v1.5 (recommended) for AsbestOS.

Downloading the files, extracting them etc... is best done on a PC (haven't found an unrar/unzip homebrew yet).
Then the files are transfered with USB stick or FTP over to the PS3.
Run AsbestOS once, then run Lv2 patcher each time you want to boot your linux ".img".
Obviously I have to tread carefully but you should find what you need easily.
: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 15 Feb 2011, 01:09

Thanks. Would I need to run Lv2 Patcher if I had a backup manager like umm I think it's called Gaia?? (I hope this is not an illegal question lol if it is just delete this)
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby lernatix » 16 Feb 2011, 04:48

The latest (v9) Lv2 patch gives you the boot linux option. This is different to the version used to allow a backup manager to run. The scene is still using Debian/Ubuntu which I find rather annoying as they try to adapt/recompile things already known to be working in Fedora/YDL. Seems like Graf_Chokolo is making a lot of headway in a new kernal build for everyone. Fingers crossed it's not limited to a Debian base.
: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ydler » 02 Apr 2011, 03:11

Use debian as a base, you can install any linux distribution which support installation by chroot, so for example, it's very easy to install ubuntu and gentoo in this fashion. I have all three running externally using bootos 2.01 for Kmeaw's CFW 3.55.

I don't know if there is a base for yellowdog that one could use to do chroot installation. I have tried to copy the yellowdog iso to an external HDD partition, and boot the relevant image to start the installation, but I ran into some problems similar to some guys experienced years ago on the ps3 which still supported linux (so definitely not a new issue), it's basically anaconda's python script problem, it just could not pass the dependency check. So I am burning the YDL dvd and try again. Knock on the wood.

In the meantime, if anyone has any information on how to get the YDL root filesystem (something similar to gentoo's stage3 binary), we could do an easy installation of YDL, providing that you have already at least one linux installation working. Please leave me a note here.

[edit]: No, DVD installation still ran into the same error.

[edit2]: Yea, Yippie, I got it working, I made a small mistake, upon examining the debug log, I see something like this: File "/usr/lib/anaconda/fsset.py" , line 550, raise SystemError. Well, I don't know what is fsset.yy, but from the name, sounds like filesystem setup, well, I just realized that the external partition I have been using to install YDL to was formated as ext4, but YDL only supports ext2/ext3, so as a last try, I allow YDL installer to format it as ext3, and bingo, no more errors. Now it's installing, will update here when I'm done. I think this also means I probably did not have to burn the DVD after all, but hey, you never knew ahead until you found a solution.

[edit3]: After some 748 packages installation, I got YDL 6.2 running. Of course, I have to use my customized kernel, but it's working. :D
ydler
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 06 Apr 2011, 23:29

That's great! Not sure how much detail we can go into regarding this procedure here, but didn't want you to think I wasn't paying attention. ;)
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pwned-PS » 09 May 2011, 10:21

How do we get Ydler to share his YDL kernel for installation with custom fw? He does not appear very active in these forums. I sent him a pm but no response. Maybe Admin could try email him to assist those of us who are dire need of custom kernel to install YDL. Please.... :P
Pwned-PS
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 09 May 2011, 22:11

Pwned-PS wrote:How do we get Ydler to share his YDL kernel for installation with custom fw? He does not appear very active in these forums. I sent him a pm but no response. Maybe Admin could try email him to assist those of us who are dire need of custom kernel to install YDL. Please.... :P

And - that ends this thread. Using the custom kernel is probably a violation of the DMCA. Locked - Sorry.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Playstation 3