Questions on Asbesto 1.5

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Questions on Asbesto 1.5

Postby Duskye » 14 Feb 2011, 22:41

I just installed Asbesto 1.5 with Debain 3 and I have some questions.

Can I install things like adobe flash player? If so, how?

How do I get sound?

How do I change the resolution? I can't read half of what I see there.

Should I install certain things first?

Any help would be great.
Duskye
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Questions on Asbesto 1.5

Postby ppietro » 15 Feb 2011, 00:16

Duskye wrote:I just installed Asbesto 1.5 with Debain 3 and I have some questions.

Can I install things like adobe flash player? If so, how?

How do I get sound?

How do I change the resolution? I can't read half of what I see there.

Should I install certain things first?

Any help would be great.

Hiya!

This is a forum dedicated to Yellow Dog Linux. Unfortunately, even though you might think all Linuxes are created equal, Debian and Yellow Dog Linux aren't the same, so we can't help you probably as much as you'd like. :(

There are four major flavors (aka distributions or distros) of Linux - Debian, Red Hat, Slackware and Gentoo. Most every other Linux available is a version of one of these four - e.g. Ubuntu is derived from Debian, Fedora is derived from Red Hat, etc. Although they have some features in common, they are also significantly different from each other - especially in regards to adding and removing software.

In addition, Red Hat Linux is split into two variants - Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise. Generally, Red Hat Enterprise lags behind Fedora by up to 3 years. Yellow Dog Linux is based on Red Hat Enterprise via the CentOS open source recompile.

We do have some general tips that would be applicable - specifically in regards to YouTube. That has common issues for the PS3 regardless of Linux distro, due to the PowerPC processor architecture of the Cell and Adobe's unwillingness to support anything else than Intel x86 processors. I have a post that might help here:

YouTube, Flash and the PS3

In addition - most of us have loaded Linux via Sony's discontinued OtherOS support. That doesn't work quite the same as AsbestOS. There are a few of our users experimenting with AsbestOS - perhaps they can help with your resolution questions, etc.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3