Can we use BootOS (AsbestOS) with YDL

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Can we use BootOS (AsbestOS) with YDL

Postby Pwned-PS » 03 Mar 2011, 15:53

I am new in these forums. I have searched but I did not see anything related to my query so please pardon me if the matter has been discussed before. I assume that using BootOS (formerly AsbestOS) installer is not controversial. If it is against this forum please delete this post.

I was wondering whether there is a way of using Asbestos version 2.+ to install YDL. My only wish is to install Linux (specifically YDL) on my Phat 3.55. I saw somewhere that Asbestos can install debian and ubuntu but I dont want to go that route. My only aim is to have Yellow Dog and I will be home and dry. :lol: Thx
Pwned-PS
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Can we use BootOS (AsbestOS) with YDL

Postby ppietro » 03 Mar 2011, 19:47

Pwned-PS wrote:I am new in these forums. I have searched but I did not see anything related to my query so please pardon me if the matter has been discussed before. I assume that using BootOS (formerly AsbestOS) installer is not controversial. If it is against this forum please delete this post.

I was wondering whether there is a way of using Asbestos version 2.+ to install YDL. My only wish is to install Linux (specifically YDL) on my Phat 3.55. I saw somewhere that Asbestos can install debian and ubuntu but I dont want to go that route. My only aim is to have Yellow Dog and I will be home and dry. :lol: Thx

We've discussed this a little, including a possible method of creating a YDL IMG, in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7844&p=40557#p40558

However - nobody has actually done this yet. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pwned-PS » 04 Mar 2011, 10:49

@ppietro

Thank you for the info and the link Paul. Lets hope somebody will be able to make it possible. I think someone has been able to boot Debian combining Asbestos and recent Ps3 Linux kernel released by graf_chokolo. Would you guys as YDL promoters at least consider that possibility? But considering chokolos run-ins with Sony in recent times the mere mention of Graf name may be taboo in some forums..... I trust we can discuss graf_chokolos works here at least in intellectual terms considering that his work is only aimed at getting OtherOS back and not those other things that works Sony into a frenzy. :P
Pwned-PS
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 04 Mar 2011, 12:19

Pwned-PS wrote:I think someone has been able to boot Debian combining Asbestos and recent Ps3 Linux kernel released by graf_chokolo. Would you guys as YDL promoters at least consider that possibility?

This forum is staffed by volunteers. Yellow Dog Linux pays for our hosting costs, but otherwise has no direct links to us. Along those lines, no one here represents Yellow Dog Linux or any of its engineering staff.

Therefore, as to whether or not YDL will support AsbestOS or not is beyond our capability to say. Yellow Dog's source code is tightly controlled by their parent company, Fixstars, although it is publically available under GPL. In addition, this forum is based in the United States, and as such, is subject to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), which prevents us from discussing anything that might be involved in the act of piracy or otherwise breaking copyrights.

So - where does that leave us? Basically, we can provide technical assistance with Yellow Dog Linux, and answer technical questions - i.e. how can I create a YDL IMG that might boot with a non-standard bootloader - but anything specific to custom firmware, since it violates Sony copyright, can not be discussed here, and will deleted immediately.

If you want to try loading YDL with a non-standard bootloader, and using a custom kernel, we might be able to help, bearing in mind that none of us are Yellow Dog engineers. There's a lot of Unix experience in these forums.

Personally - it will be hard for me to help with non-standard configurations too much. My PS3 is running Sony Firmware 3.15, and still has OtherOS support.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pwned-PS » 04 Mar 2011, 16:34

ppietro wrote:
Pwned-PS wrote:I think someone has been able to boot Debian combining Asbestos and recent Ps3 Linux kernel released by graf_chokolo. Would you guys as YDL promoters at least consider that possibility?

This forum is staffed by volunteers. Yellow Dog Linux pays for our hosting costs, but otherwise has no direct links to us. Along those lines, no one here represents Yellow Dog Linux or any of its engineering staff.

Therefore, as to whether or not YDL will support AsbestOS or not is beyond our capability to say. Yellow Dog's source code is tightly controlled by their parent company, Fixstars, although it is publically available under GPL. In addition, this forum is based in the United States, and as such, is subject to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), which prevents us from discussing anything that might be involved in the act of piracy or otherwise breaking copyrights.

So - where does that leave us? Basically, we can provide technical assistance with Yellow Dog Linux, and answer technical questions - i.e. how can I create a YDL IMG that might boot with a non-standard bootloader - but anything specific to custom firmware, since it violates Sony copyright, can not be discussed here, and will deleted immediately.

If you want to try loading YDL with a non-standard bootloader, and using a custom kernel, we might be able to help, bearing in mind that none of us are Yellow Dog engineers. There's a lot of Unix experience in these forums.

Personally - it will be hard for me to help with non-standard configurations too much. My PS3 is running Sony Firmware 3.15, and still has OtherOS support.

Cheers,
Paul

Thank you so much for taking time to explain the position to me. I was very mistaken. To my mind I thought this is YDL forum but now I get the clear picture. I am very grateful to hear that you can assist with YDL installation even with non-standard bootloader. Since I am already using 3.55 fw my only route now might be non standard bootloader. If everything else fail I will find a way of downgrading to 3.15 and that way we can all sail in the same boat. :lol: Thank you bro.
Pwned-PS
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby vm1990 » 25 Apr 2011, 20:35

Well after a day of looking through the web iv decided i now HATE sony for getting rid of the OtherOS option iv been working on my ps3 all day to get any sort of Linux on, im waiting for a delivery now then i can downgrade the FW to 3.15 seems to be the best and easiest way of getting YDL back on the damn thing. in protest im never buying anything with SONY on it ever again i only bought it so i could use YDL on and do some computing :D.

if anyone has any ideas im happy to try them iv broken 2 PS3's so far :lol:
vm1990
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 27 Apr 2011, 03:43

But if you go back to FW 3.15 you lose PSN access ... oh wait, nobody has PSN access right now. :lol:

Seriously though -- I feel your pain and wish we could help here, but we're prohibited from providing any specific instructions on FW downgrading / jailbreaking / etc. We'll gladly help out on installing/using YDL on PS3 once you get past that, though.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3