Installing Yellow Dog Hangs on Booting system...

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Installing Yellow Dog Hangs on Booting system...

Postby cleo » 17 May 2011, 17:48

Hello,

Previously I was able to get my PS3 to run yellow dog but now I can not. First I formated my hard drive allocating 10 GB to the Sony PS3 system and the rest to otheros. Then I install otheros.bld and set it to the default system.

When I restart the PS3 I get kboot. I press enter and it says Loading kernel with initrd...success. Botting system... and then it freezes.

I have tried a couple different copies of otheros.bld, and formating the hard drive with the full and quick options.

Any ideas,

Thanks,
Cleo
cleo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing Yellow Dog Hangs on Booting system...

Postby billb » 17 May 2011, 22:00

cleo wrote:Hello,

Previously I was able to get my PS3 to run yellow dog but now I can not. First I formated my hard drive allocating 10 GB to the Sony PS3 system and the rest to otheros. Then I install otheros.bld and set it to the default system.

When I restart the PS3 I get kboot. I press enter and it says Loading kernel with initrd...success. Botting system... and then it freezes.

I have tried a couple different copies of otheros.bld, and formating the hard drive with the full and quick options.

You should be using the otheros.bld included on the YDL 6.2 install disc, installing it directly from there (though there are certainly others known to work).

Also, after you install that and switch to OtherOS, normally you'd press the TAB key to bring up install options and select something like "Install PS3" or "Install Text" (if you're on a SDTV). From what you've described you haven't performed the actual installation process -- only installed the bootloader (otheros.bld).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3