Re: Java Install Question

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Java Install Question

Postby ppietro » 26 Oct 2011, 22:49

MODERATOR EDIT: This turned out to be a spammer, so the parent post is deleted. But - I left my answer here just in case. -Paul

chorinne wrote:How can I install java without the permission to install things? I would like to install not the programming Java enviroment, but the one you use to play games which uses Java, like minecraft. I don't have administrator permissions, so i can't install anything on the computer, but i can copy or modify files.

Are you asking about a Windows system or a Linux system? I know you've posted this in the PS3 section of the forum, but due to the complexity of installing and maintaining Linux on a PS3, it's unlikely that you don't have access to the root password. Root is not quite the same concept as Administrator permissions - which is more of a Windows thing. :)

Assuming you're using Linux, it's not easy to install Java without having root, although it can be done. What you'd have to do is take the IBM Java RPM, expand it out into a folder in your home directory with the rpm2cpio command, then add all the newly created subfolders to your local search paths in your bash environment shell. Unlike Windows, in Linux, there are multiple environment search paths - PATH, LIB, MAN, SHARE, DOC, BIN, OPT, etc. - but since you don't have root access, you can't copy the Java files to any of these Linux search directories. Although everyone can read from them, only root can write to them. :(

Then, you'd have to add a symbolic link to the Java/Netscape plugin to your local Mozilla profile.

Honestly, it would be much easier to have the system administrator add the IBM Java RPM to the Linux system.

For reference, the normal guide to installing Java is here:
Howto: Install Java plugin for Firefox (YDL 6)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3