VLC question

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

VLC question

Postby CountRaven » 09 Dec 2011, 15:47

I found this guide to install VLC on PS3:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4765&hilit=install+VLC

It provides VLc 0.9.8 as I noticed:

Right click on the link below and save it to your desktop. This will download vlc-0.9.8a!
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... 8a.tar.bz2

But on the same thread there is another post:
jaybps3 provided the build of vlc 0.9.5 on the ps3bodega repo. Sorry I can't help much with building later versions, but I'm afraid it's not going to make any difference which version you try when attempting to play back HD video on OtherOS / PS3 Linux.

So which version is the best to use 0.9.5 or 0.9.8?

If I select 0.9.6 should I ignore the mentioned guide?

Thanks.
CountRaven
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: VLC question

Postby ppietro » 09 Dec 2011, 22:22

CountRaven wrote:I found this guide to install VLC on PS3:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4765&hilit=install+VLC

It provides VLc 0.9.8 as I noticed:

Right click on the link below and save it to your desktop. This will download vlc-0.9.8a!
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... 8a.tar.bz2

But on the same thread there is another post:
jaybps3 provided the build of vlc 0.9.5 on the ps3bodega repo. Sorry I can't help much with building later versions, but I'm afraid it's not going to make any difference which version you try when attempting to play back HD video on OtherOS / PS3 Linux.

So which version is the best to use 0.9.5 or 0.9.8?

If I select 0.9.6 should I ignore the mentioned guide?

Thanks.

So - your choice is to either build vlc and all of its dependent libraries from scratch (0.9.8 ) with a slightly complicated procedure as described by the guide - or let yum automatically install it for you from ps3bodega (0.9.5) with the command: yum install vlc

Personally - I like the second option. :D Unless you like building code from scratch - I'd just go for 0.9.5 from ps3bodega via yum.

As billb mentions, there's not much difference between the two for video playback on the ps3. Due to the non-accelerated framebuffer display of the PS3, it's tough to play video beyond DVD resolution under PS3 Linux.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3