Shrink Volume to Create Another Partition?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Shrink Volume to Create Another Partition?

Postby GranTurismo » 13 May 2012, 09:49

GranTurismo wrote:Hello all, i'm new here, i want to install YDL 6.1 on my ps3. i wonder if i could partition my HDD in YDL instalation process with shrink the existing free space volume just like i could do in windows 7 :D rather than using XMB format disk utility to create other os partition because it will cause my existing data in XMB will be deleted :(
GranTurismo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Shrink Volume to Create Another Partition?

Postby billb » 13 May 2012, 10:48

No, you can't do that. There's no way around it -- you'll need to backup your data from XMB before creating the OtherOS partition, then restore it afterward.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GranTurismo » 13 May 2012, 12:47

billb wrote:No, you can't do that. There's no way around it -- you'll need to backup your data from XMB before creating the OtherOS partition, then restore it afterward.

too big to back up :shock: i dont have another media to back up :( i just have 4gb flashdisk :(
any other way to create another partition to solve this problem?

anyway if i just instal it in the same XMB partition what will be happen??
GranTurismo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 13 May 2012, 13:02

GranTurismo wrote:too big to back up :shock: i dont have another media to back up :( i just have 4gb flashdisk :(
any other way to create another partition to solve this problem?

No, no other way to do it. The file system is encrypted so even if you were to connect the drive to another machine you still wouldn't be able to resize it.

I've had cases where the PS3's full system backup would fail so I had to backup all my save games, pics, music, etc. manually then re-download all the games and DLC after formatting. Not fun. That was back when you could still access PSN on a <= 3.15 FW system with OtherOS, though.

So... not sure what's best in your case. You can always swap hard drives if you have another 2.5" SATA available and just use that for OtherOS.

anyway if i just instal it in the same XMB partition what will be happen??

There's no way to install it to the same partition, so nothing would happen. :wink:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3