Anyway to protect firmware from being updated?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Anyway to protect firmware from being updated?

Postby relet » 27 May 2012, 09:07

Anytime when log on to GameOS, there is always a prompt to mention the firmware updating.
How to setup a password for admin or root or user in GameOS, so I only use user's account as to avoid the firmware updating,
thanks.
relet
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Anyway to protect firmware from being updated?

Postby billb » 27 May 2012, 16:03

I don't if there's a way to set a password which would be required to update firmware. What I do is keep the internet connection disabled on the GameOS side (see http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... nnect.html) so it can't connect on startup. But if someone were to put in a game (probably pretty much anything that came out since around Red Dead Redemption) that wants to update firmware, it would likely ask to update to the minimum required firmware included on the game disk. And as far as I know the user would just need to answer yes and agree to the terms and conditions.

I've heard a few "horror stories" about users who came back to find a family member or friend updated without asking about it and they lost their OtherOS, so this is a good question.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyway to protect firmware from being updated?

Postby relet » 05 Jun 2012, 19:37

The idea works well, the small prompt box has gone :lol: Tanks Billb.
I would consider even further using an extra hub with a power switch to do the hardware protection.
relet
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3