Just installed YDL 6.2, need second opinion

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Just installed YDL 6.2, need second opinion

Postby KoolChri$ » 22 Sep 2014, 06:05

Hi,

I just got done installing YDL 6.2 onto my 20 gig PS3 Phat, System Software 2.0. I wonder if I messed up something with the HDD formatting though. I followed the steps from the Fixstars site but after YDL got installed, it says I have 13 gigs of space left and it is unable to load GameOS now. When I selected the partition during the install, there was only one to chose from even though I chose to allot 10 gigs to OtherOS when doing the custom HDD format.
KoolChri$
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Just installed YDL 6.2, need second opinion

Postby ppietro » 05 Oct 2014, 20:28

KoolChri$ wrote:I just got done installing YDL 6.2 onto my 20 gig PS3 Phat, System Software 2.0. I wonder if I messed up something with the HDD formatting though. I followed the steps from the Fixstars site but after YDL got installed, it says I have 13 gigs of space left and it is unable to load GameOS now. When I selected the partition during the install, there was only one to chose from even though I chose to allot 10 gigs to OtherOS when doing the custom HDD format.

Hmm - interesting.

When you say it's unable to load GameOS - what are the symptoms? What happens if you type "ps3-boot-game-os" from the kboot: prompt when Linux starts?

Also - where are you seeing the free 13 gigs? Is that from Linux? Linux can't see the GameOS partition - they're treated separately. If Linux is reporting 13 gigs free - that's the Linux partition only. If you're putting the drive into a PC to measure free space, that doesn't work - GameOS uses encrypted, non-standard partitions.

Did you follow the Fixstars guide here? http://www.fixstars.com/files/linux/ydl ... _guide.pdf

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KoolChri$ » 06 Oct 2014, 15:52

Hi Paul,

I see the 13 gigs free on the first window that is open after you log into Linux. Windows would call it a Windows Explorer window, Apple would call it a Finder window. So on the bottom left corner of this window, it tells you the remaining HDD space left.

This problem happens on my 80gig CECHK01 with System Software 3.15 too! I follow the instructions but after YDL 6.2 is installed, the game OS won't load from the kboot prompt or logged into Linux. When I hold down the power button 5 second and let the system reset the boot order, then the game OS is unable to load because it got corrupt. I then have to re-install the PS3 System Software, reformat the HDD to have a working PS3 again.

The one thing that seems incorrect during the install of YDL is that when you have to select the HDD partition to install to, it only shows one "ps3da" I think. The instructions say that you can't damage the game OS though. I also couldn't figure out how to manually create a partition.

I don't know if this matters but both of my PS3's were on higher System Software than 3.15, lol. Now they're on 2.0 and 3.15. They got "serviced" by someone.

Anyway, as long as Linux works I guess I'm fine with it. Linux does work once installed but I got those black bars on each side! The screen doesn't get filled up. I was digging around the forums for older posts for a fix for but I have to say I'm a total noob with Linux. All I know is Windows and Apple stuff. I think I need to slowly let Linux sink in.

It's really great to install a Linux onto my PS3 now that I've moved onto the PS4 for gaming. Now they can server other functions and not lay around collecting dust!
KoolChri$
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Oct 2014, 21:32

KoolChri$ wrote:I see the 13 gigs free on the first window that is open after you log into Linux. Windows would call it a Windows Explorer window, Apple would call it a Finder window. So on the bottom left corner of this window, it tells you the remaining HDD space left.

Okay - so that means that you have 13 gigs free in the Linux partition. Which doesn't quite make sense if you're allocating 10 gigs to OtherOS.

My guess is that there's a possible error in the instructions. Can you provide a link to the instructions you're using please?

As for the black bars, look here: viewtopic.php?t=3524

PS3 specific help is here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2274

NOTE: We have a lot of info archived here - just be aware there was a name change to the site. So - if you get a broken link, try replacing http://www.yellowdog-board.com/ with http://www.ydl.net/board/ in the URL.

KoolChri$ wrote:I don't know if this matters but both of my PS3's were on higher System Software than 3.15, lol. Now they're on 2.0 and 3.15. They got "serviced" by someone.

And - yes - this may be an issue.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KoolChri$ » 08 Oct 2014, 02:45

Paul, thank you very much for the links and also about replacing the URL name!!

I used the instructions from here: http://www.fixstars.com/files/linux/ydl ... _guide.pdf

I'm going to give Linux another go. I have ps3bodega bookmarked and really want to play X-Men Vs Street Fighter again with MAME.
KoolChri$
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 28 Oct 2014, 00:38

(Sorry about the delay in responding - it's been one of those months.)

Yeah - since you "downgraded" the firmware, this may be expected behavior. (Or - in my opinion - "upgraded" - but that's a different topic. :D)

One other thought: Where did you obtain your disk image?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KoolChri$ » 06 Nov 2014, 22:23

Hi Paul,

No worries about the delayed response. I'm going at a snails pace with learning the Linux OS too! Just tried out TAILS and Puppy Linux on my IBM T42 laptop. Really liking Puppy Linux and the low system requirements.

I got the YDL disk image from the official site.

http://www.fixstars.com/en/technologies ... downloads/

Might have picked this ftp server.

ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/packages/yellowdog/
KoolChri$
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3