QBASIC with DOSBOX

Discuss software development issues here.

QBASIC with DOSBOX

Postby Taellik » 03 May 2009, 12:31

Here's another fun language to add to your PS3. Want to do programming without the headaches of objects, controls and such..well get your copy of DOSBOX loaded and working on your PS3 and go to this link http://www.math.hawaii.edu/lab/197/index.html and download the free QBasic language. Once again you can do programming on your PS3 the way they did when personal computing programming first started.

Very easy to run, when in DOSBOX, just go to whatever folder you unzipped QBasic to and start the QB.EXE and you will get the then cutting-edge programming environment to either write your own programs or get some of those abandoned games in BASIC going.

After you get QBasic you can go to http://www.math.hawaii.edu/lab/197/basic/basicmain.htm for tutorials/lessons for writing programs in BASIC. Simple, fast, no worries about compiler switches, objects, GUI controls...ahhh..the good 'ole days of programming . . . . :D

Let's see..programming language count running on a PS3 one way or other is : 8 !

C / C++ / Fortran /Java / Lua / Perl / Python/ QBasic

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Re: QBASIC with DOSBOX

Postby billb » 04 May 2009, 07:35

I don't think QuickBasic, which is what they're offering for download, is legally distributable except by Microsoft... :?: Qbasic, which is very similar but without the compiler and linker, is downloadable directly from Microsoft here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135315
(download olddos.exe)

Here's an example of how to install it and use on DOSBOX:

Create a directory for it in your home folder:
Code: Select all
mkdir ~/olddos

Assuming you saved olddos.exe to your Desktop, move it to the new folder:
mv ~/Desktop/olddos.exe ~/olddos

Change to the new folder:
cd ~/olddos

Start dosbox with the current folder as your C: drive:
dosbox .

Within DOSBOX:

Extract the files:
OLDDOS.EXE

Start QBASIC:
QBASIC
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 78dg78 » 27 Sep 2010, 19:22

Years ago, I used to write videogames with QBasic. However, DOS-supported games don't exist on Apple's iMac. Can DOSBOX provide a way to run QBasic on my iMac???

TIA.
78dg78
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 27 Sep 2010, 19:49

78dg78 wrote:Years ago, I used to write videogames with QBasic. However, DOS-supported games don't exist on Apple's iMac. Can DOSBOX provide a way to run QBasic on my iMac???

Sure -- that shouldn't be a problem.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 78dg78 » 30 Sep 2010, 20:21

Thanks, billb. But what specific steps must I take on the iMac to actually get DosBox to run DOS and QBasic? (Like I said, I'm a crass newbie.)
78dg78
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 30 Sep 2010, 21:40

78dg78 wrote:Years ago, I used to write videogames with QBasic. However, DOS-supported games don't exist on Apple's iMac. Can DOSBOX provide a way to run QBasic on my iMac???

Due to the nature of this forum I didn't ask -- but you do have a version of YDL installed on your iMac, right? And if so, what version?

On YDL 6.2, dosbox is included in YellowDog Extras, so you just open a terminal window and enter the following commands:

su

<root password>

yum install dosbox

exit

Then follow the instructions posted earlier in this topic:
viewtopic.php?p=28925#p28925
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby blackpuppy » 21 Jun 2011, 19:00

Oh the power of the search function in this forum. I had no idea I had access to this as a YD extra. Time to waste a couple of weeks trying to learn something new and trying to master DOSBOX. I was originally planning on sending this task over to my IT because of the enterprise I am a part of has sensitive information in our servers, but we just transferred everything to the cloud so I have more time to play around with youtube to mp3 converter software and other cool youtube related things. Thanks for the information.
blackpuppy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby deli73 » 30 Jan 2013, 01:29

Might there be any way to get just regular BASIC?

Oh, by the way, i just joined here to ask this, but I wanted to compliment you on your advanced spam prevention system in registration. :wink:
Unfortunately, most spammers hire real people to open the account and then have a robot take it over, so you'll still get some spam, probably.
deli73
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby deli73 » 04 Feb 2013, 17:11

Oh! Oh! There is a QBASIC.exe file I found online! And it's the kind of exe that can run in Boxer (an emulator for Mac OSX)
I'm now writing QBasic Programs on Mac OSX! :D :D :D
deli73
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Software Development