Ruby & Shoes

Discuss software development issues here.

Ruby & Shoes

Postby Taellik » 19 May 2009, 01:42

Has anyone installed Ruby on their PS3 ? If so, could you list the packages you used to install it ? Also, anyone tried out seeing if Shoes could work on a PS3 ?

Shoes is a GUI for use with Ruby to make windowing applications. It is a very cool add-on that's very easy to use and targets beginners to programming without all the Windows event-driven baggage and bloatware you get writing dotNet code.

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Re: Ruby & Shoes

Postby Taellik » 27 May 2009, 23:30

Well, after some trial & error(s) hehe I now have Ruby running on my PS3. Way I got it going was to go to the Package Manager, select checkbox for Development, then go down the dropdown list until Ruby showed up and then check its checkbox for installation.

Let's see..programming language count running on a PS3 one way or other is : 9

C / C++ / Fortran /Java / Lua / Perl / Python / QBasic / Ruby

Now to try to get a way to have Shoes running . . . . ( sorry for the bad joke , get it...running shoes ? ) :D

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Art » 15 Jul 2009, 18:22

Thanks for the heads-up on how to get Ruby up.
Any luck with Shoes ??
Art
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Taellik » 17 Jul 2009, 18:59

Thanks for the heads-up on how to get Ruby up.
Any luck with Shoes ??

Hiya Art,

Between the frustration with trying to have Gambas & Shoes running on YDL/PS3, I've kinda given up on YDL being able to keep up with the cool tools that the Ubuntu crowd gets to enjoy.

YDL on the PS3 is just too small / niche player in the Linux world to draw much attention from developers to consider. When Apple dropped the PowerPC CPU and switched to Intel, it really seems to have taken the wind out of the sails of developers coding for that hardware. Java was a all-too-glaring example of how you had to drop the YDL install version and run to IBM to get their version of the language to have it run right on the PS3 !

Too much traffic on the boards and search engines is regarding game emulation for YDL on the PS3 to shake off its image as a toy OS for a game console and it really doesn't help that the core is several releases behind the prevailing release levels of the operating system.

When if comes to software development using a PS3 as a host platform, it kinda ranks as a sub-hobbyist type level of interest based on the availability of software available to get for it from the repos.

To wrap things up, I pretty much use Ubuntu now since it has the latest tools & support and software being churned out by the community, and my YDL is now becoming a " Gee, xxxxx software is cool! I wonder if xxxx software will work on the PS3" type point of view and more often than not...it doesn't. :(

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 17 Jul 2009, 19:19

Taellik wrote:Between the frustration with trying to have Gambas & Shoes running on YDL/PS3, I've kinda given up on YDL being able to keep up with the cool tools that the Ubuntu crowd gets to enjoy.

We've discussed this here before, Taellik. If you want cutting edge, you should try Fedora or Ubuntu. I can't stress this enough - YDL is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (via CentOS).

Expecting it to run the latest tools is just futile - that's not what's it's for.

It's for running established tools - and being very stable. That's why RHEL is the basis for Scientific Linux as well:
https://www.scientificlinux.org/about/customize

Taellik wrote:Java was a all-too-glaring example of how you had to drop the YDL install version and run to IBM to get their version of the language to have it run right on the PS3 !

No - that's not it at all. You would run into this exact same issue with Fedora, too. That's due to Fedora/Red Hat licensing policies, plain and simple. No Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS/YDL ships with Sun's Java - they all ship with the low performance, open source GCJ from the Free Software Foundation. They have to - it's in their charter. You would have to install IBM's Java for PowerPC on Fedora PS3 as well.

Ubuntu gets around this by being "contaminated" - from an open source point of view. Their parent company - Canonical - purchases licenses for this stuff. (Java, MP3 playback, etc.).

Taellik wrote:it really doesn't help that the core is several releases behind the prevailing release levels of the operating system.

CentOS, Scientific Linux and any other RHEL derivatives have this problem as well.

Taellik wrote:When if comes to software development using a PS3 as a host platform, it kinda ranks as a sub-hobbyist type level of interest based on the availability of software available to get for it from the repos.

Just because the tools you want to use aren't there doesn't mean it's "sub-hobbyist" by any means. You would be just as frustrated with CentOS/Red Hat Enterprise/Scientific Linux. Trust me - this isn't a hobbyist Unix - it's an Enterprise Linux.

It used to be based on Fedora, up to and including YDL 5.0. It was a much different place then. But when YDL became the Linux of choice for PS3 Clusters, IBM Blade Servers, Fixstars co-processors, Sony Zegos, etc. - they couldn't risk the instability of Fedora. They needed the stability and scalability of Enterprise Linux, and so the switch to RHEL was made - for better or worse.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here - I definitely understand your frustration. But - I think you're trying to get YDL to do things it's not meant to do. You want cutting edge code - this isn't your OS - plain and simple.

Taellik wrote:To wrap things up, I pretty much use Ubuntu now since it has the latest tools & support and software being churned out by the community, and my YDL is now becoming a " Gee, xxxxx software is cool! I wonder if xxxx software will work on the PS3" type point of view and more often than not...it doesn't. :(

If you like Ubuntu's modern libraries, but don't like the debian base architecture, you might be happier with Fedora. Based on what you've posted - stability not as important, cutting edge a priority - you'd have a much better fit with Fedora.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Since this thread could possibly dissolve into a "ours is better than yours" thread, I'm locking for further postings now.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Software Development