Qt4 Not installing on YD5?

Discuss software development issues here.

Qt4 Not installing on YD5?

Postby bizmopeen » 18 Dec 2009, 21:33

Hello, all;

I'm trying to install Qt4 on my YD5 partition using the commands that seem to be correct:

chmod u+x qt-sdk-linux-x86-opensource-2009.02.bin
./qt-sdk-linux-x86-opensource-2009.02.bin

...I am already logged in as root, but I get the following error:

bash: ./qt-sdk-linux-x86-opensource-2009.02.bin: cannot execute binary file

Can anyone provide any assistance on what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.
bizmopeen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Qt4 Not installing on YD5?

Postby Noons » 18 Dec 2009, 22:08

If you are using a ps3 x86 programs won't work. ydl 6.2 uses the qt libraries
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby bizmopeen » 18 Dec 2009, 22:29

No, actually, I'm using a Mac G4 PPC, not a PS3. I do already have Qt 3.3, I just need to get Qt4 installed for some programming I'm doing...
bizmopeen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Dec 2009, 22:46

bizmopeen wrote:No, actually, I'm using a Mac G4 PPC, not a PS3. I do already have Qt 3.3, I just need to get Qt4 installed for some programming I'm doing...

I agree with Noons, though. It looks like you're trying to install an x86 binary on your PowerPC Mac. That won't work. You'll need to find a ppc version of that binary - sometimes called ppc, ppc32, or ppc64.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bizmopeen » 21 Dec 2009, 22:13

Thanks, Paul, that sent me in a different direction. However, the install is not going as hoped and I'm sure if I downloaded the right distribution. Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions on what Qt distrobution I should use with my configuration (mac 450 Mhz dual proc PPC running Yellow Dog 5.0)?
bizmopeen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bizmopeen » 22 Dec 2009, 20:24

Bump.
bizmopeen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 23 Dec 2009, 06:11

bizmopeen wrote:Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions on what Qt distrobution I should use with my configuration (mac 450 Mhz dual proc PPC running Yellow Dog 5.0)?

bizmopeen wrote:Bump.

Be aware that it might take a while to get replies to your question. Most of us are running YDL 6.x nowadays - and it's built on a different codebase than YDL 5.0. (YDL 6.0 is built on RHEL/CentOS, YDL 5.0 is built on Fedora)

Also - most of us are using PS3s, not Macs. ;)

That's not to say you won't get answers - you'll just have to wait until one of the Mac folks running 5.0 log in. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bizmopeen » 24 Dec 2009, 16:15

Gotcha, Paul. Thanks, you have been very helpful with all my questions so far, and sorry to be such a noob! I appreciate the assistance....
bizmopeen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby spykez » 27 Dec 2009, 03:24

bizmopeen wrote:Thanks, Paul, that sent me in a different direction. However, the install is not going as hoped and I'm sure if I downloaded the right distribution. Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions on what Qt distrobution I should use with my configuration (mac 450 Mhz dual proc PPC running Yellow Dog 5.0)?

Not a YDL 5,0 user but a quick google ie "YDL 5.0 qt" got me this.

What's annoying is this information is apparently not immediately available on the home YDL site :) Has YDL gone to the dogs?

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Rob
spykez
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 27 Dec 2009, 05:42

spykez wrote:
bizmopeen wrote:Thanks, Paul, that sent me in a different direction. However, the install is not going as hoped and I'm sure if I downloaded the right distribution. Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions on what Qt distrobution I should use with my configuration (mac 450 Mhz dual proc PPC running Yellow Dog 5.0)?

Not a YDL 5,0 user but a quick google ie "YDL 5.0 qt" got me this.

What's annoying is this information is apparently not immediately available on the home YDL site :) Has YDL gone to the dogs?

I get it - Yellow Dog - gone to the dogs. Heh heh - funny. :D

In my experience, distros don't generally include this type of information on their websites. With Red Hat derivatives, like YDL, you can determine this information from YUM/Pirut (aka Add/Remove Software) once you've installed the OS. If you need to know beforehand, you can always go to the distro FTP site and look directly at the packages. Like here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/releases/yel ... 6.1/SRPMS/

BTW - the link to the table you posted confirms what the original poster told us:
bizmopeen wrote:I do already have Qt 3.3, I just need to get Qt4 installed for some programming I'm doing...

The original poster is asking what version of QT4 to use on YDL. Poking around a little, it appears that adding the Fedora Extras might get you going in the right direction. See our guide here for instructions on how to safely add the Fedora Extras repo:

Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 5

This works for all YDL 5.0 installations - not just PS3.

After you configure the extra repos, you should be able to use Add/Remove Software to load QT4-4.3.0.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Software Development