Streamer Linux Player lets you play any pc games?

Discuss software development issues here.

Streamer Linux Player lets you play any pc games?

Postby suddar » 29 Apr 2010, 22:57

I was wandering if this works and how to install it? I think it would be a great thing to have on the ps3.thanks :D im using 6.1 .
suddar
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Streamer Linux Player lets you play any pc games?

Postby suddar » 29 Apr 2010, 23:17

I found this
Streamer Linux Player is an application that will let you play any PC game through a PlayStation 3 with Linux installed on it.

How does it work?

The StreamMyGame Server converts the game's video and audio into a Game Stream and sends it over a local network to another computer, thus allowing the latter to view and play the game with the StreamMyGame Player. I've almost forgot to mention that both the Server and Client solutions are free, so you won't have to pay anything for them. The machine running the Client app can be a PC, PS3, laptop or Linux device, and it does not need to have the game installed on it. Also, the second computer will not experience any lag at all.

The StreamMyGame Player can support resolutions up to Super HDTV 3200 x 2400 on your Linux box. The compatible Linux distributions recommended for PlayStation 3 are Ubuntu and Yellow Dog Linux.
suddar
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby suddar » 29 Apr 2010, 23:19

suddar wrote:I found this
Streamer Linux Player is an application that will let you play any PC game through a PlayStation 3 with Linux installed on it.

How does it work?

The StreamMyGame Server converts the game's video and audio into a Game Stream and sends it over a local network to another computer, thus allowing the latter to view and play the game with the StreamMyGame Player. I've almost forgot to mention that both the Server and Client solutions are free, so you won't have to pay anything for them. The machine running the Client app can be a PC, PS3, laptop or Linux device, and it does not need to have the game installed on it. Also, the second computer will not experience any lag at all.

The StreamMyGame Player can support resolutions up to Super HDTV 3200 x 2400 on your Linux box. The compatible Linux distributions recommended for PlayStation 3 are Ubuntu and Yellow Dog Linux.

PS3 LINUX PLAYER INSTALLATION

1) Download an Save to Disc the Streamer Linux Player Installer onto your PS3.

You can check the file has downloaded correctly by checking it has the same md5 which should read 8ede151fed3587f483f9283655ba8208

2) Open a Terminal on your PS3.

3) You must go to the directory where you downloaded the file by typing into the Terminal for example;

cd /home/your_username/your_directory

4) When the Terminal shows you are in the directory, execute the installer by typing in the Terminal;

sudo sh ./smg-installer.sh

5) Read the README carefully especially about configuring the firewall (see note below)

6) Use the arrows keys to scroll the page, now press q to quit the README.

7) After the installer finishes we need to associate the Streamer Player with the files on our website by opening a Terminal and typing;

smg-protocol-setup

For Ubuntu choose the GNOME option. (The KDE option is currently untested but should work.)

8) Browse to the SMG website using Firefox and select a game.

9) The Streamer Linux Player will open. Enter your StreamMyGame website username and password.

10) The Streamer Linux Player will connect to your Windows PC and start the game and display it on Linux.

11) Click anywhere on the player and you can now use your keyboard and mouse to play the game.

Note on README

You can read the README anytime, by opening the file;

/usr/local/lib/streamer/README

Use the file browser to browse to that directory and open the file in a text editor.

Note on Firewall

On Ubuntu use the Firestarter tool if that is what you have installed

On YellowDog the firewall configuration tool is under the Administration menu.

Just add the ports listed in the README

Note on Resolution

Ubuntu may not display full screen on your TV / LCD and will have a black boarder around it. It will display at 1124 x 644 so you cant open a 720p game stream unless you change its resolution. We will release a new page in January about how to change this and display Ubuntu at 720p and 1080i.
suddar
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby STEFANOVIC » 29 Apr 2010, 23:46

Looks like it just uses the PS3 as a monitor, you still have to have a high spec PC to play high demanding games. IMO seems like a lot of effort when you can just hook your PC up to your TV. On the videos I looked up of it the FPS does not look that cracking either not a big surprise though as it is being streamed.
STEFANOVIC
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 30 Apr 2010, 02:35

Don't forget to use the forum search feature. :) Unless it's brand new software, chances are we've already discussed it.

A forum search for "StreamMyGame" found this review:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2801&p=10033&hilit=streammygame#p10033

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Software Development