install problems with ydl 5.02 on new 80gb ps3

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

install problems with ydl 5.02 on new 80gb ps3

Postby tawnkramer » 07 Jan 2008, 05:13

I've burned a few dvd's at 5.0, 5.01, and 5.02. I also tried a ubuntu build for ps3. they all seem to have the same problems. My ps3 is a new model 80gb updated to version 2.1. The graphical installer will not run, but I can get through the install if I do 'installtext'.

The ps3 is connected to a 1080p capable tv via hdmi. After installing and rebooting to the kboot prompt, 'gdm' or 'startx' say that the file system is read only. If I linger too long at kboot prompt then it seems to try to boot into xwindows or some graphical mode that is black. I can see that the hard drive light blinks for a while and then I have to reboot back to a prompt.

If I type 'sh' at the kboot prompt, I can stay a little longer and tinker about. 'echo test >> test.txt' seems to create a new file. So the file system is writable. And 'du' reports @3.5 gb used. So the install appeared to complete successfully.

I've tried the various video modes with ps3videomode -v N. They all result in a black screen. I have to type blind to get back to a text prompt. I've gone back to the ps3 media bar and checked, tested, and enabled all video modes.

Does this ring a bell for someone? Any thoughts on what to try?
tawnkramer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: install problems with ydl 5.02 on new 80gb ps3

Postby billb » 07 Jan 2008, 06:59

Will see if I can help...

What happens if you use:

ydltext

at the kboot prompt (assuming this is currently a YDL install you have now) ? Should take you to a login prompt ...

What is the brand/model # of the TV?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tawnkramer » 07 Jan 2008, 07:22

I do have 5.02 ydl installed now. My TV is a Sharp Aquos LC 32D10.
What is the brand/model # of the TV?[/quote]

ydltext does bring me to a localhost login: prompt. There were quite a few confusing messages that seemed to indicate a lot of failures. I realize that's extremely vague. But it was flying by quite fast.

I was able to login as root. 'gdm' brought me to a graphical login prompt! yay. And at that point I could login again as root and it appears to work!!

I would say that the screen resolution seems not to recognize the wide aspect ratio of the tv. I think it's displaying at a pretty low resolution. The display settings via the Configuration | Configuration Panel don't offer any options. Other than a happy warning that I may kill my display if they are wrong.

Thanks for getting me this far. Any thoughts on the screen resolution? Do I have to edit my xserver config or something?
tawnkramer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 07 Jan 2008, 07:43

The video guide is here. That should help you find the right resolution and set it in /etc/kboot.conf and make a small change to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Unfortunately you can't change it from the configuration panel.

While you're setting your video mode in /etc/kboot.conf (as described in the video guide), note that there will be a "default=ydl" and the "ydl=..." line is the one which will be loaded by default. There's also one for "ydltext=..." which is what you're using now.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tawnkramer » 07 Jan 2008, 08:08

cool! thanks for the quick reply. I followed those directions and it works great!! the text seems a bit hard to read at 1080p - but that should be as good as it gets. The screen resolution preferences say that it's 1920 by 1080 and don't give any other options. Should I modify the etc/X11/xorg.conf to have more resolutions? I just followed the advise and commented out the resolutions section.
tawnkramer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 07 Jan 2008, 15:11

tawnkramer wrote:cool! thanks for the quick reply. I followed those directions and it works great!! the text seems a bit hard to read at 1080p - but that should be as good as it gets. The screen resolution preferences say that it's 1920 by 1080 and don't give any other options. Should I modify the etc/X11/xorg.conf to have more resolutions? I just followed the advise and commented out the resolutions section.

No, if you want to try a lower resolution you have to test it first with the ps3videomode command to make sure you don't get a blank screen, then set it in kboot.conf and reboot. Adding resolutions to xorg.conf won't help since we can't change resolutions reliably in graphic mode, anyway.

Most people run at 720p, I think, but you can make the fonts larger if that will help running at 1080p.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation