install 6.0 on ps3 freezes at keyboard language selection

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Postby ppietro » 16 Apr 2008, 23:38

mechagodzilla wrote:I want to get back to the ps3 os but everytime I turn on ps3 it auto boots the linux loader how do I get back to ps3 from the loader?

There's two ways - one via software and one via hardware.

For software, select "boot-game-os" from a GUI menu, or from a command prompt as root user, type ps3-boot-game-os

For hardware, turn off the PS3. Then, turn it on via the front (soft) switch by holding it down past the first beep, until you hear a second beep. (Usually about 5 seconds.) This will reset the PS3's firmware back to defaults, including resetting the default OS boot back to PS3 instead of OtherOS. This will also reset any custom video settings you've enabled - putting your screen back to 480i. (or 576i if you're European/PAL).

Needless to say, I'd recommend trying the software method first. ^_^

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uncholowapo » 17 Apr 2008, 02:31

You can also type in "game".
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 17 Apr 2008, 03:33

uncholowapo wrote:You can also type in "game".

That only works at the kboot prompt, though. :wink:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rouein_YDL » 17 Apr 2008, 23:54

onni92 wrote:guess what...

i tryed my luck by waiting 3 and a half hours for a
FULL hardrive format

and it is successfully installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and it is soooo much better than ubuntu!

it is great!!
Rouein_YDL
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby mechagodzilla » 20 Apr 2008, 22:32

onni92 <<-- Mabey I will try that, and see if it works I also installed Ubuntu, though thought it was pretty okay, could'nt get the resolution to sit right on my tv Im new to Linux though so I used some guides. but Im like a pure Linux Virgin so not sure if they where unclear or Im doing something wrong, got the res fine but could'nt get it to go full screen. going to retry YDL though hear its the way to go anyway. :P
mechagodzilla
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby EwokWarrior » 22 Apr 2008, 04:41

I am having the same problem! Every time I run the installation it freezes up at the Keyboard selection! :( I would try reformatting the HD, but I am planning on using an external hard drive. I am outputting on a 720p HDMI, and running it on a 60 GB unpartitioned PS3. I would appreciate any help.
EwokWarrior
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby mechagodzilla » 09 May 2008, 05:18

Rouein_YDL wrote:I solved this problem on my PS3 already ... and now my YDL 6.0 is running fine juz that having problem on setting 720p fullscreen on my dell 20" monitor

I initially tried to install ubuntu already but somehow has some problem so i go for format my PS3 HDD (Quick format) then before go for ubuntu, I tried my luck again on YDL and select keyboard "UK" and suprisingly everything is working. I do not have experience on linux, but my initial suspect is that when you select keyboard type, even though it is failed but somehow YDL already saved something in the HDD. The reason i said so is due to I did select keyboard type "UK" for more than 20 times but it always failed until I reformat the HDD yesterday.

So to me, if failed on the selection once, better perform a quick format on the HDD and retry on the keyboard selection. Else will forever stucked no matter what keyboard you trying to select.

I hope it helps! :wink:

THIS WORKED QUICK REFORMAT...
Thanks man your help was apriciated...
also thanks to everyone on the site you all had great input for me, and I apriciate the time you took to get back to me.
mechagodzilla
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: install 6.0 on ps3 freezes at keyboard language selection

Postby tdmuw » 31 Jul 2008, 02:45

I'm having this problem also. Quick Format did nothing, trying a full reformat but I have my doubts. I saw one of the output lines when I restart after the freeze says something like "cannot instantiate X hardware object." I'd do the restart again to get the actual statement but I'm in the midst of a reformatting.

Does this mean something to anyone?
tdmuw
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thasinister » 09 Oct 2008, 00:21

I am having the exact same problem and it is really frustrating.

I've done everything from change the keyboard and mouse to burn the DVD on multiple discs, all verified during the burning process and before the install, as well as unplug everything, hardware reset to factory firmware to try, used updated firmware to try, etc.

I have tried almost everything and feel like I've exhausted my options.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone solved this issue?

Thanks,

Ryan.
thasinister
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 09 Oct 2008, 02:59

thasinister wrote:I am having the exact same problem and it is really frustrating.

I've done everything from change the keyboard and mouse to burn the DVD on multiple discs, all verified during the burning process and before the install, as well as unplug everything, hardware reset to factory firmware to try, used updated firmware to try, etc.

I have tried almost everything and feel like I've exhausted my options.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone solved this issue?

Thanks,

Ryan.

Doing a full format usually solves this issue. Did you try that?

Also - be aware that if you loaded YDL 5.0, Ubuntu or Fedora, their otheros.bld file is different from YDL 6.0. There is a new otheros.bld file on the YDL 6.0 disc - use the Install Other OS from the PS3 XMB as documented here:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... stall.html

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aubrey4444 » 09 Oct 2008, 19:13

hi,

it has to be installed when you are connected via a hdmi lead will not install on the normal av lead and also you have to make sure you did the custom format of 10gb to the new os and the rest to the ps3

thanks
aubrey4444
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 09 Oct 2008, 19:56

aubrey4444 wrote:it has to be installed when you are connected via a hdmi lead will not install on the normal av lead

That's not exactly true - I installed on a normal AV lead. (component video) There's even a procedure for standard definition (non-graphical) installs. See the instructions here:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... _guide.pdf

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gopwarrior » 09 Sep 2009, 00:00

I had the same problem! I just reformatted and the install worked perfectly!! YDL is awesome!! Way better than anything that Microsoft has put out
gopwarrior
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Previous

Return to Installation