Boot problems after fresh install...

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Boot problems after fresh install...

Postby veganjustice » 04 Apr 2008, 03:30

Okay, I just installed YDL 5 onto my iBook G3, everything went okay, and at the boot menu, it chooses the right partition to boot into, but then I get to a spot where it wants a login and a password. All I have done is installed. I set a root password, but never an ID.

Any ideas on how to get past this?

Thanks

Jordan
veganjustice
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Boot problems after fresh install...

Postby ppietro » 04 Apr 2008, 03:46

veganjustice wrote:Okay, I just installed YDL 5 onto my iBook G3, everything went okay, and at the boot menu, it chooses the right partition to boot into, but then I get to a spot where it wants a login and a password. All I have done is installed. I set a root password, but never an ID.

Any ideas on how to get past this?

Thanks

Jordan

Try using "root" for the ID, and your root password for the password. Once you're in the root account, you can create a standard ID & password.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby veganjustice » 04 Apr 2008, 04:26

Okay Paul, I will try that... I am currently installing XUbuntu on the 2nd partition, so as soon as that is done, I'll give it a try. I'll let you know, thanks
veganjustice
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby veganjustice » 04 Apr 2008, 23:01

Okay, well, I put in root and my password, then it tells me last log in, gives a date and time, and then says... root@localhost ~]#

And tha tis all it says... Why can't I actually boot? Never ran into this before with any other distros. A little confused. Any help would be amazing. Thanks
veganjustice
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 04 Apr 2008, 23:05

veganjustice wrote:Okay, well, I put in root and my password, then it tells me last log in, gives a date and time, and then says... root@localhost ~]#

And tha tis all it says... Why can't I actually boot? Never ran into this before with any other distros. A little confused. Any help would be amazing. Thanks

Maybe you need to edit /etc/inittab and change the runlevel from 3 to 5?

nano /etc/inittab

Make your change, then Ctrl-X, press Y to confirm, and press Enter to save without changing the filename, then reboot.

Or you could just try:

startx
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby veganjustice » 04 Apr 2008, 23:11

Well, start X actually got me in... It did however say access denied when I tried the nano/etc/inittab.

Thanks...

Also, at the first part of the install, I partitioned the drive so I can have two distros on this laptop... one being Yellow Dog, and the other Xubuntu...

I have always used boot camp and such for partitioning and having multiple boots on my desktop, but since this is a ppc, I have never dual booted...

I know this is a YDL board, but after putting the install disc in for XUbuntu, is it easy to install on my other partition? And when I first boot up, since YDL is my main boot loader, how can I get to the other partition to boot from that?

Thanks for the help...
veganjustice
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 05 Apr 2008, 01:35

veganjustice wrote:Okay, well, I put in root and my password, then it tells me last log in, gives a date and time, and then says... root@localhost ~]#

Oh - you've booted. You're just in text mode, not graphics mode. :)

When you install YDL in textmode, the boot defaults to textmode. That's a safety precaution. :)

I'm surprised you couldn't edit /etc/inittab though. Did you try to edit this as root user or as a normal user? You'll have to be root user to edit this file.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation