Install cell SDK on PS3

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Install cell SDK on PS3

Postby sweick » 16 Apr 2008, 15:52

Below is the experience of one our staff when attempting the subject install on YDL6:

I ensured all the development packages for YDL were installed

2. After the YDL installation was complete, I obtained all the cell SDK packages. That is:
yum install *spu* *ppu*

3. The first problem I had was actually locating where all the cell SDK files were placed.
The IBM Cell SDK usually installs under /opt/cell, but no files were there.
It looks as if the YDL installation is under /usr.
I couldn’t find any documentation on what exactly was installed.

4. I then attempted to compile our product, which failed with the missing header files (libsync.h, free_align.h, and malloc_align.h). I searched the entire machine for the files, which did not exist.

5. Since I couldn’t locate the packages for these files and wasn’t sure what was missing, I decided to attempt a standard Cell SDK RHEL linux installation on YDL.

6. I downloaded the CellSDK-Devel-RHEL_3.0.0.1.0.iso and cell-install-3.0.0-1.0.noarch.rpm for RHEL from the IBM website.

7. Unfortunately, installation of the CellSDK-Devel-RHEL_3.0.0.1.0.iso package failed. It seems as if there was a mount ISO image problem with running the /opt/cell/cellsdk script on YDL. That is, running this command as root failed:
rpm -ivh cell-install-3.0.0-0.0.noarch.rpm
/opt/cell/cellsdk –iso /tmp/sdk install
where /tmp/sdk contained the .iso files

8. So, as root, I manually mounted the ISO file, and performed the installation manually. That is:
mount –o loop CellSDK-Devel-RHEL_3.0.0.1.0.iso /tmp/sdk
cd /tmp/sdk/CellSDK-Devel-RHEL/rpms
yum localinstall cell*
Note that yum install cell* did not help.

9. This installed successfully, and I tested compilation of our product again. It successfully found the header files this time, but failed since it couldn’t find numa. So I installed numa:
yum install numactl numactl-devel

10. After this, the required components for the SDK were installed for our product and applications to compile and run successfully.

To this date, I am frustrated that YDL 6.0 states everywhere that it’s the first Linux flavor with a base install of the Cell SDK. But, it doesn’t seem to work. There is also no documentation that explains what was installed, or how to install additional components. And, the installation directories are different to the standard cell installation on other platforms.

It would be great to know what steps I should have taken to get to the same point, so that other people can benefit.
Steve Weick
sweick
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby mgstrein » 02 May 2008, 05:09

THANK YOU

your post probably saved me hours. I agree with everything you said, I don't get why they say the sdk is ready to go when it does not appear to be. If there is some easier way to do this I wish I could find it.

Anyways thanks again for this post. So far everything is working for me.
mgstrein
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

IBM SDK

Postby kengreen » 10 May 2008, 18:28

I have followed the directions given above as far as I can without high speed internet connection. I have enabled the DVD repo, to install the spu and ppu packages. I can't download the IBM CellSDK Devel-RHEK_3.0.0.1.0.iso or cell-install-3.0.0.1.0noarch.rpm.
I would appreciate it if someone could download those for me as well as the IRT-1.0 and IRT-scene-1.0 and burn it on a CD or DVD. If someone will do this for me, I will email them my address.
kengreen
ydl lover
ydl lover

CellSDK for YDL v6.0 for PS3

Postby cornelius » 27 May 2008, 09:15

Hi Sweick,

I have followed your instructions consistently and tried to get the CellSDK v3.0 installed in my PS3.
However, I have encountered this error message when it came to the 4th package being installed.

warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA Signature: NOKEY, key ID 9ac02885
Public key for cell-libs-3.0-16.ppc64.rpm is not installed/

Could you help me out, please?

Thank you.

regards,
Cornelius
cornelius
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Install cell SDK on PS3

Postby ukee1593 » 12 Aug 2008, 00:36

Hi
when installing the cell sdk on the PS3 do you have to have the specific version for the ppc processor architecture or is that included on the extras CD. if it doesnt matter this site may help <http://www.ief.u-psud.fr/~lacas/Download/Download.html>
ukee1593
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bransma » 05 Sep 2008, 20:11

Hi,

I have hit all the same issues, and did what was posted about mounting the iso and doing a yum localinstall cell*, and also hit the NOKEY...

I have hit this in the past and there is a cmd line option in yum (and rpm, I believe) that allows the installation to ignore this.

I did:

yum --nogpgcheck localinstall cell*

and it worked fine.
bransma
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Bonz » 26 Sep 2008, 19:43

sweick wrote:8. So, as root, I manually mounted the ISO file, and performed the installation manually. That is:
yum localinstall cell*

i come back with

Code: Select all
Cannot open file: cell. Skipping.
Nothing to do

any thoughts
--Bill
Bonz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 27 Sep 2008, 02:43

Bonz wrote:
sweick wrote:8. So, as root, I manually mounted the ISO file, and performed the installation manually. That is:
yum localinstall cell*

i come back with

Nothing to do

any thoughts

Just off the top of my head:

1. Did you include the asterisk: * ?

2. Did you do this as root user?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 02 Oct 2008, 14:16

If it weren't for IBM's licensing on the Cell SDK I could make things a lot easier by just adding the necessary packages to my repo, but:

Except for the limited rights granted above, IBM does not grant You any other rights with respect to the Toolkit including, without limitation, any rights to externally distribute (or loan) the Toolkit or any of its components or to use any part of the Toolkit in a production environment.

Same thing applies to IBM's Java, I suppose, though I haven't looked at the license for that lately.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bonz » 03 Oct 2008, 00:27

ppietro wrote:
Bonz wrote:
yum localinstall cell*

i come back with

Nothing to do

any thoughts

i tried it with and without the * and i only use the root user

Just off the top of my head:

1. Did you include the asterisk: * ?

2. Did you do this as root user?

Cheers,
Paul

i tried it with and without the * and i only use the root user
--Bill
Bonz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 03 Oct 2008, 01:38

Bonz wrote:i tried it with and without the * and i only use the root user

BTW - you need to get out of the habit of only using the root user. Root user should be reserved for administrative purposes only. You should create a normal user, and then switch to root as necessary. (via the su command or by setting up sudo)

This is a safeguard against account hijacking, and accidental deletion of important information.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 0xDead Beef » 10 Nov 2008, 13:41

There is easier way to do this. Actualy you just have to follow installation guide from IBM.
1) download SDK 3.1 Fedora installer and .iso
2) place downlaoded files in /tmp/cellsdkiso/
3) create folder /tmp/sdk/(iso name without .iso)
4) uninstall previos cellsdk using /opt/cell/cellsdk uninstall
4b) run cellsdk installer yum localinstall /tmp/cellsdkiso/CellSDKbla ballba.rpm
5) install new sdk /opt/cell/cellsdk --iso /tmp/cellsdkiso/ install (you can include -o option to install optional packages including Eclipse IDE)
6) you can install Eclipse IDE also by mounting .iso file to folder (mount -o loop .iso /tmp/sdk) and doing manual rpm -i .../rpms/cellide...something...rpm
7) Eclipse IDE is installed under /opt/cell/IDE/ You shoud run Eclipse from there
0xDead Beef
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation