Problem creating valid DVD

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Problem creating valid DVD

Postby tdmuw » 30 Jul 2008, 22:51

I've downloaded the .iso file for 6.0 and checked the SHA1 checksum to ensure a proper download (it was "f0862b7442e2f38bd01039ab6a6e28db84fe5ded"). I'm using OS X and when I try to open the image using Disk Utility it says the image could be damaged. When I check the file using the same utility it states "Invalid number of allocation blocks, The volume needs to be repaired."

I made a disk from this anyways and the installer says the disk has errors (but doesn't say what those are). If I skip the disk check the installation freezes after I get past choosing the keyboard language/region (a problem with its own thread here I saw).

Anyone know what's going on here?
tdmuw
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Problem creating valid DVD

Postby billb » 31 Jul 2008, 02:47

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with DVD burning software on the Mac ... if you have access to a Windows machine, imgburn works very well and it's free.

Some general suggestions ... try burning at the lowest speed instead of Auto or Maximum. It sounds like there is indeed a problem with your DVD though your sha1sum checks out OK. Are you installing YDL on a PS3 or PPC Mac? The solution to the hangup at the keyboard/language part seems to be to perform a quick format / allot 10 GB to Other OS again (assuming you're installing on PS3). If you do that, make sure you back up any data in the Game OS first.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tdmuw » 31 Jul 2008, 21:13

Thanks for the suggestions, after some work I finally got YDL on my PS3!!!

Problem ended up being that I needed to partition the PS3's HDD before attempting an installation, DVD worked fine (it seems). Didn't do this the first time since I wanted to install on an external drive, but unfortunately it ended up writing to the internal drive.

Seems like I should be able to install on the external drive so I probably did something wrong at the beginning, I was just too excited to see it get past the keyboard selection freeze :D . Maybe I'll try to reinstall later
tdmuw
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 31 Jul 2008, 22:10

Great -- I haven't yet attempted to install YDL on an external drive. It works fine on Fedora PPC 7 - 9. The last person that was going to attempt it on YDL didn't report any success -- something to do with USB de-registering? Could just be something that needs to change in /etc/yaboot.conf, though.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation