Blank Screen After Reboot

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Blank Screen After Reboot

Postby fethompson » 02 Sep 2008, 04:50

Today I finally bought myself a USB keyboard/mouse combo and redownloaded YDL. I had 5.0, but wanted 6. Anyway, kboot wouldn't mount YDL 6.0 so I ended up installing 5.0 which went without a hitch. Everything worked and ran great and so I rebooted at the end. Kboot came back up and went through its beginnings and then stopped at:
Code: Select all
kboot:_
so I pressed enter and nothing happened. I tried typing in "ydl" and "ydltext" to no avail, so I put the installation DVD back in and Anaconda popped up, trying to do another install.

I couldn't find a way to back up to kboot, so held the power button. This sent it to kboot and the ps3 turned off, but when I turn it back on it's just a black screen. I've tried with and without the disk, tried switching back to game-os and back again to ydl, but nothing is working. Does anyone have any idea what happened or what I can do to fix it?
fethompson
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Blank Screen After Reboot

Postby billb » 02 Sep 2008, 13:39

Completely power off the PS3 (using the switch on the back) after shutting it down by holding the power button. Flip the power switch on again, then hold the power button on the front for over 5 seconds. This should return it to the Game OS with factory default audio/video settings.

When you installed YDL 5 did you install the bootloader from the DVD for that version?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fethompson » 02 Sep 2008, 20:24

No I used a flash drive for the bootloader, and I've done the reboot. After switching back to the game os and trying a few more times the same thing happens.

I forgot to mention that when the kboot came up after the install, it kept switching between "g..." and "q..." on the command line. The game os works fine by the way.
fethompson
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 02 Sep 2008, 22:58

fethompson wrote:No I used a flash drive for the bootloader, and I've done the reboot. After switching back to the game os and trying a few more times the same thing happens.

I forgot to mention that when the kboot came up after the install, it kept switching between "g..." and "q..." on the command line. The game os works fine by the way.

What about installing the bootloader from the DVD so you'll know you have the right one (there are multiple versions)?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fethompson » 03 Sep 2008, 03:35

How do I check if the bootloader is on the DVD, and how can I tell if it's the right one?
fethompson
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 03 Sep 2008, 03:52

fethompson wrote:How do I check if the bootloader is on the DVD, and how can I tell if it's the right one?

Just put in the DVD and use the Install OtherOS function from the XMB -- this installs the bootloader. If you're installing the bootloader directly from the DVD you'll know you're installing the correct version. Only the original 5.0.0 release didn't have the bootloader included on the DVD, I think. 5.0.1, 5.0.2, and 6.0 all have it on the DVD.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fethompson » 03 Sep 2008, 20:22

billb wrote:
fethompson wrote:How do I check if the bootloader is on the DVD, and how can I tell if it's the right one?

Just put in the DVD and use the Install OtherOS function from the XMB -- this installs the bootloader. If you're installing the bootloader directly from the DVD you'll know you're installing the correct version. Only the original 5.0.0 release didn't have the bootloader included on the DVD, I think. 5.0.1, 5.0.2, and 6.0 all have it on the DVD.

I'll try that out tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
fethompson
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation