ps3 doesnt see kboot (resolved)

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

ps3 doesnt see kboot (resolved)

Postby alexbib » 04 Sep 2008, 20:43

Hello,
I'm trying to install ydl 6.0 from dvd, but when I ask the ps3 to "install other os" it scans for a second and says it hasn't found anything. I tried burning otheros.bld to a separate cd but it doesn't work either. Anybody knows what to do?

edit1: oh, and I have verified my iso with sha1sum before burning and it was ok, so it shouldn't be bad iso.

edit2: ok, I've burned it with imgburn instead of infrarecorder and it seems to work.

Thanks,
Alex
Cheers,
Alex
alexbib
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: ps3 doesnt see kboot (resolved)

Postby renichms » 14 Sep 2008, 02:58

This is a problem I'm having. I have the DVD ready to go and the PS3 data backed up and PS3 formatted and partitioned but when I got to install other OS, it does not recognize anything as being there. How do I work around that? I'd hate to have to download again and write another DVD.

RN

EDIT: Checked the disc in the computer and it seems there's no "ps3" folder on it at all even though I downloaded one of the PS3 designated ISOs. Trying the other one and if it doesn't work, I try 6.0 and failing that, on to Ubuntu.

EDIT2: 5.0.1 did it...installing now. (5.0 for PS3 doesn't have a PS3 directory so someone may want to remove that or fix it.)
renichms
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 14 Sep 2008, 09:11

renichms wrote:Trying the other one and if it doesn't work, I try 6.0 and failing that, on to Ubuntu.

EDIT2: 5.0.1 did it...installing now. (5.0 for PS3 doesn't have a PS3 directory so someone may want to remove that or fix it.)

Just out of curiosity - why aren't you using 6.0? Most of us are using YDL 6.0 - as you can tell from the advice on this forum.

YDL 5.0.x and YDL 6.0 aren't the same BTW - YDL 5.0.x is based on Fedora and YDL 6.0 is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (via CentOS). Because of this, it's tricky to update a YDL 5 installation to a YDL 6 installation. If you're installing from scratch anyway - you might as well take the hit and install 6.0 now. (Plus - it's free!)

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Ubuntu is based on Debian Linux, BTW. It's not similar to Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby renichms » 14 Sep 2008, 16:01

Does the 6.0 ISO have the stuff in it to install on the PS3? I may have 5.0.1 on it now but barely have any configuring done and am not opposed to swapping.

RN
renichms
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 14 Sep 2008, 18:48

renichms wrote:Does the 6.0 ISO have the stuff in it to install on the PS3? I may have 5.0.1 on it now but barely have any configuring done and am not opposed to swapping.

RN

Yes - most definitely. YDL 6.0 is very easy to install, and all the necessary files - including the otheros.bld file - are in the ISO.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby renichms » 14 Sep 2008, 19:03

Got ISO written to disc and checked for PS3 files...about to go wipe PS3 and get this version installing...then just have to find a way to make it use WPA/WPA2 and input a password for one of the networks when YDL is running...and disable bluetooth in YDL so I can use the wireless PS3 controllers (still mainly using it for games).

RN

EDIT: 6.0 disc failed the media check. Writing the ISO went flawlessly and the disc has no dirt or scratches. Continue anyways?
renichms
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 14 Sep 2008, 20:26

renichms wrote:EDIT: 6.0 disc failed the media check. Writing the ISO went flawlessly and the disc has no dirt or scratches. Continue anyways?

Did you do a SHASUM on the ISO download?

If that passed, and you're sure the ISO burned flawlessly - then yeah - continue. Otherwise, check your download & burn procedure.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby renichms » 14 Sep 2008, 22:27

Installed, updated (or after a very long update procedure I initiated, it said it was), bluetooth quirk worked around and PS3 theme and data restored. Thanks for the help.

RN
renichms
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation