HOWTO: Choosing a display for Linux on PS3.

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

HOWTO: Choosing a display for Linux on PS3.

Postby CronoCloud » 16 Sep 2008, 17:36

Thinking about using your SDTV? Well, don't. It's not optimal, and by default you'll get a resolution of 576x378. Ouch. Some toolbar/icon heavy applications will simply not be very usable at that low of a resolution.

But you may be thinking: "But CronoCloud, didn't you run your PS2 Linux kit on SDTV?"

Why yes, yes I did, but on the PS3 the default NTSC resolution was 610x404 and there was a download available that raised it to 640x448.

So here's the gist of choosing a display. The magic words are:

1080p and HDMI.

From what I've seen, most 1080p TV sets are large living room models, i've not seen any 1080p sets 20 inches or smaller. If you want a small one for setting up your PS3 like a desktop system you may be stuck with 720p. On PS3 linux default 720p is actually 1144x600something, because Terrasoft assumed a bit too much CRT overscan, which was a mistake IMHO because most of us probably use LCD's. However, YDL can output any of the PS3 video modes over HDMI, including the VESA modes, which at least some HDTV's support. Having a VGA connector might be a good sign of VESA support over HDMI as well. So if you have a 720p TV try using mode 11 because 1280x768 is better than 1144x600something. Don't use the interlaced modes, they make text look funny and not so easy to read. You'll also want to use HDMI full color mode, both within Linux and GameOS if your HDTV supports it.

Using a monitor intended for computer use is another option that might be the best if you're going to sit your PS3 and monitor on a desk (unless you can find a 1080p small HDTV) However most computer monitors use VGA, DVI, or Displayport instead of HDMI While there are HDMI to DVI cables that's not as optimal as a direct HDMI to HDMI connection, you'd have to run the audio separately. Also, your monitor should support HDCP to work properly. Another consideration is that most computer monitors don't have ATSC tuners or composite, S-video or component inputs for hooking up other devices, like your SNES or your PS2 Yes, I prefer playing SNES games on the original hardware. :-)

This is the TV I have my PS3 hooked up to:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=9204671

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Return to Installation