Permission to edit kboot.conf

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Permission to edit kboot.conf

Postby panteraboy1988 » 15 Sep 2008, 04:30

Im new to thisYDL thing and i've been trying to get my wi-fi to work all day. i had to download some kind of kernel patch, i did that. i installed it and everything. then i read that before i reboot i have to edit the kboot.conf file to where it uses the new kernel and not the old one. i edited the file and everything but i cant save it because it says i dont have permission. what is going on??? i even tried some stuff that i read about where you use the terminal and use your root password and it still says i dont have permission to that file. can anyone walk me through this plz?? all i need to do now is save that dang file and reboot but i need someone to show me how cause obviously im doing something wrong. this is the first time ive even touched linux so i have NO IDEA how it works.
panteraboy1988
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Permission to edit kboot.conf

Postby ppietro » 15 Sep 2008, 18:30

panteraboy1988 wrote:Im new to thisYDL thing and i've been trying to get my wi-fi to work all day. i had to download some kind of kernel patch, i did that. i installed it and everything. then i read that before i reboot i have to edit the kboot.conf file to where it uses the new kernel and not the old one. i edited the file and everything but i cant save it because it says i dont have permission. what is going on??? i even tried some stuff that i read about where you use the terminal and use your root password and it still says i dont have permission to that file. can anyone walk me through this plz?? all i need to do now is save that dang file and reboot but i need someone to show me how cause obviously im doing something wrong. this is the first time ive even touched linux so i have NO IDEA how it works.

You had to download a kernel patch? That shouldn't be true anymore unless you're trying to run YDL 5.0.2. Otherwise, no kernel patching is required.

If you're installing YDL 5.0.2 - why aren't you running YDL 6.0? It's what most of us use nowadays, and it's the future direction of YDL. 5.0.2 was based on Fedora, 6.0 is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (via CentOS). They're not 100% compatible with each other.

Also 5.0.2 has some issues with PS3 features - like the joysticks, etc. These are all fixed in 6.0. And 6.0 is free, to boot. :)

Anyway - if you really need to run 5.0.2, here's what you need to do to edit the /etc/kboot.conf

1. Open a terminal window
2. Switch to root user by issuing the following command: su -
(note the dash following su)
3. As root user, open up an editing session: (i.e. nano -w /etc/kboot.conf)
4. Save the file - you should be done.

Unfortunately, I don't use Nano - so I can't help from here. I use an older editor called vi - but that's a separate tutorial.

When you edit the kboot.conf, be careful. Use the editor to make a copy of the current boot entry text, paste it back in, give it a new name, and change only the kernel settings. Don't change the LABEL parameter if it's there.

If you want, you can post a copy of your kboot.conf, with your test edits, and I can correct them from there, before you actually save it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby panteraboy1988 » 16 Sep 2008, 04:24

after trying and trying i got tired of it so i just downloaded a torrent of YDL 6 and fortunately it already comes with the wi-fi driver or whatever its called. i got wi-fi to work with this one so im happy now. for some reason i cant see anything on youtube. the player never pops up... is there an update that i need to get???
panteraboy1988
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 16 Sep 2008, 07:02

panteraboy1988 wrote:after trying and trying i got tired of it so i just downloaded a torrent of YDL 6 and fortunately it already comes with the wi-fi driver or whatever its called. i got wi-fi to work with this one so im happy now. for some reason i cant see anything on youtube. the player never pops up... is there an update that i need to get???

Nope - YouTube basically doesn't work with the Linux that runs on the PS3.

The main processor in the PS3 - The Cell/B.E. - has a PowerPC core. Unfortunately, Adobe has not created a Power PC Linux version of Flash, which is what YouTube uses.

There are a couple of open source, reverse engineered Flash clones - gnash & swfdec - but the versions that are available for YDL 6.0 don't work with YouTube either.

Some users have reported limited success compiling the very latest versions of swfdec - but that requires a parallel build tree so that you don't overwrite key YDL libraries, and is recommended for experienced Linux users only.

So - don't expect YouTube in PowerPC Linux anytime soon. Your best bet is to use the native browser in the PS3 GameOS if you want to view YouTube videos.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby panteraboy1988 » 16 Sep 2008, 18:18

thats a bummer... i thought i could actually watch a youtube without running out of memory.

one other thing. after i shut down, when i start back up i have to activate my wireless connection everytime.
is thisre anything that i can do to where its always activated?
panteraboy1988
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 16 Sep 2008, 19:21

panteraboy1988 wrote:thats a bummer... i thought i could actually watch a youtube without running out of memory.

one other thing. after i shut down, when i start back up i have to activate my wireless connection everytime.
is thisre anything that i can do to where its always activated?

Yes - in the Network control panel, there's a setting for the Wireless that says "Activate device when computer starts".

To get there, open the Network Configuration control panel, select the Devices tab, and double click on the Wireless connection. In the resultant Wireless Device dialog box, check "Activate device when computer starts", and close the dialog box. Save your changes from the File menu, and you should be good to go.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby panteraboy1988 » 16 Sep 2008, 19:43

nice. very helpful Paul, thanks.
is there anything that i can play one here? i know starcraft you can but you have to get some windows 98 blah blah... but what about other games that are also for linux like some old school Age of Empires?
panteraboy1988
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 17 Sep 2008, 00:58

panteraboy1988 wrote:nice. very helpful Paul, thanks.
is there anything that i can play one here? i know starcraft you can but you have to get some windows 98 blah blah... but what about other games that are also for linux like some old school Age of Empires?

Glad that worked.

As for your other question, most commercial games for Linux assume the presence of two things - x86 processors and OpenGL 3D hardware acceleration. Unfortunately, Linux on the PS3 has neither - the main core of the Cell/B.E. processor is PowerPC compatible, and the PS3's hypervisor provides non-accelerated framebuffer access to video only.

Most non-commercial projects for Linux - especially older games that are distributed as source code and not binaries - have a much greater chance of being compiled successfully and running.

Also, there are a lot of PS3 Linux users that run emulators of old game consoles. There's a good starter list here:
viewtopic.php?t=2082

Finally - games that require some sort of Windows libraries - specifically Wine - won't work. Wine is distributed for x86 processors only.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby panteraboy1988 » 17 Sep 2008, 18:24

thats a bummer but i guess it makes sence, people would be playing linux games on the PS3 instead of buying PS3 games.

now is there a way to make this full screen? without the risk of messing up something cause when it comes to linux im really good at doing that. i have a 720p HDTV

and one more thing. i just installed Winamp on here so i can stream some music. where exacly did linux install winamp??? i tried searching for it but the search results dont come up with anything. and when i check the add/remove software tool its in the list so that means its installed somewhere. but where?
panteraboy1988
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 18 Sep 2008, 02:46

panteraboy1988 wrote:and one more thing. i just installed Winamp on here so i can stream some music. where exacly did linux install winamp??? i tried searching for it but the search results dont come up with anything. and when i check the add/remove software tool its in the list so that means its installed somewhere. but where?

Errr... where'd you get winamp? They aren't developing the Linux version any more, are they? And if they were it would probably have only been available for x86 Linux. :?:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 18 Sep 2008, 03:02

panteraboy1988 wrote:thats a bummer but i guess it makes sence, people would be playing linux games on the PS3 instead of buying PS3 games.

Heh - most likely true! :)

now is there a way to make this full screen? without the risk of messing up something cause when it comes to linux im really good at doing that. i have a 720p HDTV

Yes - there is a way to make it full screen. However - there is a very slight risk of messing up something - since it's a manual edit procedure.

You can start by reading thru this post of billb's:
viewtopic.php?t=3524

and one more thing. i just installed Winamp on here so i can stream some music. where exacly did linux install winamp??? i tried searching for it but the search results dont come up with anything. and when i check the add/remove software tool its in the list so that means its installed somewhere. but where?

Winamp? Really? Where did you find that for PowerPC Linux? :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby panteraboy1988 » 18 Sep 2008, 03:13

i found winamp here:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio ... _linux.cfm

did i get something thats not gonna work? lol
it installed just fine i just cant find where it installed

well i wont try to make this full screen then. my awesome knowledge of messing with Linux would probably brick my ps3 lol
panteraboy1988
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Sep 2008, 03:46

panteraboy1988 wrote:i found winamp here:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio ... _linux.cfm

did i get something thats not gonna work? lol
it installed just fine i just cant find where it installed

well i wont try to make this full screen then. my awesome knowledge of messing with Linux would probably brick my ps3 lol

Yeah - that won't work. If you look at the filename, you'll see the letters i386. This means that it's for x86 processors only. You need RPMs that contain either ppc or noarch.

You should probably uninstall it. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby panteraboy1988 » 18 Sep 2008, 03:57

bummer :(

i just heard people talking about listening to internet radio... i guess theres no way?
panteraboy1988
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation